Double Star AR-15? opinions?

spotman

I have a J&T dist. upper which is built by Double star I think. It has been a great shooter for me. Never had a problem with it, no jams,and shoots any ammo I run thru it. I don't think I will ever shoot 30k thru one but after a little over 2k trouble free rounds I'm happy with mine.

raw111

Ds

I have built and played with several J&T kits. Each one was has been within specs and just fine for the average shooter. Book has it right though, the barrel is the heart of the gun. J&T used to use Wilson and ER Shaw for their barrels, and that is what sold me on them. However the last kit i recvd had a DSC barrel on it. They have started putting their own barrels on. I just recently replaced my barrel with an ER Shaw 10.5" CL barrel. So i will be giving Mark a call for a SBR stamp.

rich

meausoc

Bookhound definitely has it right. I am disappointed to hear that LMT's quality has slipped, as that was the next AR that I was going to build. Guns & Ammo's Combat Tactics Summer 2008 had an excellent article titled "The Truth About Mil-Spec". J&T/Doublestar was not even mentioned. They rated AR's in the following order:
1. Colt 6930, 2. LMT, 3. Noveske N4, 4. Sabre Defense XR-15, 5. S&W M&P 15, 6. CMMG 16" M4, 7. Stag Model 1, 8. Bushmaster, 9. Rock River, 10. Armalite, 11. Olympic, 12. DPMS
FN would be on top of this list if they sold their version of the AR-15/M-16 to civilians being that they make quality products.
Definitely stay away from Model 1 Sales. I know this from past experience (canted front & rear sights, metal shavings in the bore). I have also heard that some of their parts are made in Mexico. While I have built a J&T in the past and have one of their uppers, I trust my Colt 6920 for dangerous situations. You get what you pay for in my opinion.

Last edited:

Daron Dyer

Doublestar Rifles

I have to chime in here. I don't consider myself an AR authority, but I know my way around one. I was in the Navy in the late 80's in a Gunnery Division Overseas and have spent my fair share of Uncle Sam's lead.
Everything from a 5 inch 54" to a 20 mm cannon.
I own 7 ar's. Armalites, a colt A3, a ruger 556, a sig swat, and a Doublestar.
I have an Armalite A-2 that is my:cheers: most accurate, the colt is second. The other two Armalites are Ar-10's. An A4 and the National Match. The ruger and sig swat are piston driven and in a class all of their own, but I hold nothing back for the Doublestar Carbine.
I purchased it at the Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot in the fall of 2009 for $700. It has a chrome lined heavy 16" barrel witha 1/9 twist, flat top with carry handle, standard A2 front sight and carbine hand guards with heat sheilds. I currently have an aimpoint pro on it and shot it yesterday putting 40 rounds into a 2 inch ring at 100 yards.

germag

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well, since we're resurrecting a 3 year-old thread anyway.....

I have a DS M4 with a 16" chrome-lined 1:7 barrel. I've put a LOT of rounds through it, quite a few using an SST bump-fire stock.....never a single hiccup, EXCEPT when I was using cheap steel-cased Russian Ammo and had to stop and clean every 100 rounds. As long as I stick with XM855 Lake City ammo and keep it wet, it's good to go. When I'm playing with the SST, I don't run full mag bursts through it very often and I stop and let the barrel cool frequently.... so far it's been a good weapon. I bought it for that purpose...I didn't want to destroy a Bravo Company or Lewis Machine & Tool upper...but it's stood up pretty good. I've probably got a total of 3-4k rounds through it now.

Daron Dyer

Doublestar rifles

I'm not saying they are as good as a Colt or Noveske or any other High end Ar, but I do think they are a good value for what you get.::ke:
I would put mine up against any m&p, stag,bushmaster,dpms or any other sub $1000 AR-15.
Before I put the Aimpoint on, I had a Burris 3x9x40 mounted and I could shoot Tannerite half pounders all day with one shot at 100 yards. (baby food jar size)
I am not affiliated with Doublestar in any way other than I live in the same state they are made. Their customer service is top notch too. I recently bought one of the Mako GL stocks. It didn't fit the commercial tube like they said it would. DSC steered me toward a magpul ctr. good choice!

Attachments

• Burris - Copy.jpg
    Burris - Copy.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 8,551