Early season rifle bear hunts

splatek

UAEC
I find mylar balloons all the time.
One time fishing way up deep on a creek for specks I found a nice couple's dog, when I returned the dog to the waterfall they were full on ride em cowboy... I let the dog go and went on fishing. Who in the world goes that far in the woods to get some?

Professor

I find mylar balloons all the time.
One time fishing way up deep on a creek for specks I found a nice couple's dog, when I returned the dog to the waterfall they were full on ride em cowboy... I let the dog go and went on fishing. Who in the world goes that far in the woods to get some?
I find them too. Usually that is spot with strong falling thermals. Look for good bedding spots close to the balloons.

chrislibby88

I’ve heard that and searched. I think it’s an urban legend.
I don’t think they bed (edit:eek:ften) in those thermal drop spots. Bet there are some old rubs near them though. All the buck beds I find are up high, and doe beds are down in thick saplings, or on random shelves in huckleberries.

Last edited:

Professor

I don’t think they bed in those thermal drop spots. Bet there are some old rubs near them though. All the buck beds I find are up high, and doe beds are down in thick saplings, or on random shelves in huckleberries.
I have found most a third to halfway down big ridges. having said that, I found most in areas that were cut within the last couple of years.

Last edited:

Killer Kyle

I found 3 mylar balloons this week.

The bear hunt is over for me this week. White oaks and Chestnut oaks didn't hit on my side of the mountain. All my spots were barren of white oak acorns and bear sign. It was crazy.

I did bump a big bear at super close range while on the move and couldn't pull off a shot fast enough.

This morning I took a crap right next to a hog and didn't know it. Wind was whipping so I couldn't hear a thing. Pulled up my trousers, put on my pack, grabbed my rifle and took maybe five steps and there it was lookin' dead at me. Spotted hog, and it ran before I could bust it.

I swear....one day they will make a video of my hunting misadventures and it's gonna look like a Bill Dance blooper reel. ?

I covered an unreal amount of ground looking for white oaks, struck out, but found some awesome spots for next year and had a blast.

The one thing I took away from this week is that I will never, ever again put my confidence in my knowledge of my white oak spots. I knew long ahead of the hunt that the white oak crop was going to be bad, but I didn't realize how bad it would turn out to be. I didn't do any pre season scouting and relied on the assumption that at least some of my spots would hit good.

I was dead wrong. And it put me in a position where I was covering a lot of ground looking for acorns rather than hunting them, and I will never, ever go in that unprepared again.

Congrats to those of you who found success and got it done. Very happy for those of you that did!

Last edited:

KentuckyHeadhunter

Yeah my week is over too. Sure wish I still had my stickbow now. I spent 5 nights in my cozy camp. It was a great time hiking and hunting those mountains. Saw tons of sign, new and old, and a total of 3 bears. Lost 5lbs that I didn't need to lose. Smelled skunks everywhere I went and no it wasn't me @Professor hahaha. 20220918_193422.jpg

chrislibby88

I found 3 mylar balloons this week.

The bear hunt is over for me this week. White oaks and Chestnut oaks didn't hit on my side of the mountain. All my spots were barren of white oak acorns and bear sign. It was crazy.

I did bump a big bear at super close range while on the move and couldn't pull off a shot fast enough.

This morning I took a crap right next to a hog and didn't know it. Wind was whipping so I couldn't hear a thing. Pulled up my trousers, put on my pack, grabbed my rifle and took maybe five steps and there it was lookin' dead at me. Spotted hog, and it ran before I could bust it.

I swear....one day they will make a video of my hunting misadventures and it's gonna look like a Bill Dance blooper reel. ?

I covered an unreal amount of ground looking for white oaks, struck out, but found some awesome spots for next year and had a blast.

The one thing I took away from this week is that I will never, ever again put my confidence in my knowledge of my white oak spots. I knew long ahead of the hunt that the white oak crop was going to be bad, but I didn't realize how bad it would turn out to be. I didn't do any pre season scouting and relied on the assumption that at least some of my spots would hit good.

I was dead wrong. And it put me in a position where I was covering a lot of ground looking for acorns rather than hunting them, and I will never, ever go in that unprepared again.

Congrats to those of you who found success and got it done. Very happy for those of you that did!
I’m not local, so I never get to do any pre scouting. I usually plan 4-5 days and start walking low to high until I find the acorns, usually gives me a day or two to find acorns, then another day or two to hunt. Lucked up in a new spot and hit the motherload, and saw/heard bears every time I went out.

jbogg

Good stories Joe. We could use a thread like that.
Anyone heard from @jbogg lately?

The mountain has been whipping me so far. Opening weekend was pretty much a washout with hunting in the fog up at the higher elevations. Had some personal stuff come up that I have had to deal with and have not been in the woods as much as I had intended to, but hope to get a chance to go back up this weekend. Before the season opened I was bumping bears during every scouting trip, so hopefully it’s just a matter of time before I cross paths with one again.

Jason F

Though I carry a Sharpie daily (I use them at work all the time), I don't recall every losing one in the woods.

I did lose a really nice Surefire EDCL1-T flashlight last weekend in the woods somehow. So I hope whoever finds it (someday) enjoys it.

splatek

UAEC
After this past weekend I thought I wasn’t going to be able to get back out in the woods till later on in the season , but I got some house chores done fast and had the day open up to get back out there.
Got a late start because of traffic and didn’t get up the mountain till a little before lunch , I sat in an area that was getting used pretty good with no action till about mid afternoon, decided to go explore some new ground and just burn the rest of the day doing that. Ended up in a mess of laurels till I got to a new active area but it was so thick I didn’t feel comfortable setting up there so I headed back , on my way back I found a good game trail to follow with fresh sign but I was too far in to stay in the area so I decided to keep following it till I made my way to the original area I planned sitting for the evening. On the way there I caught some big movement up ahead , with no clear shot till I got to 15 yards I slowly stalked in staying on the bear with the scope , fired a round and dropped it in its tracks . Death moan followed and pulled on my heart strings . It was pretty loud and I was a few feet away . Got my composure together , snapped a few pictures and got to work. Bear on a tarp makes the world of difference getting all the meat. Barely left any for the scavengers. All loaded up the late night pack out was something else , no help and my pack was loaded to the gills . The wind was ripping like a hurricane and about ready to throw me off the mountain. Bushwhacked my way to a planned route out but everything don’t look the same at night , still got in the tangles and still busted through some thickets. Made it to the truck ,drove to refill my ice and my bear season is over. I’m gonna try and learn how to find them in late season so there’s always that . Hope y’all that are still after them get an opportunity. Bear hunting is a curse and a blessing.

Love it! Congrats!