Elk in GA

howl

Banned
Why don't we have a huntable population of elk in GA? With all the effort the QDMA folks put into farming antlers, you'd think we could get enough support and resources to have some.

cpowel10

I hate the idea of having elk in GA. I can't imagine hitting a 600lb+ animal at night.

I imagine they would cause a lot of Ag damage also.

jkoch

Gone But Not Forgotten
Big foot population would explode!

Whiteeagle

Who wants to shoot a spike Elk with spots anyway?

GA DAWG

To many dang people have moved here. Thats why.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
we're the 10th most populated state in the nation and 90% of the rest of the populatoin don't want to hit 500 plus pound deer so a few thousand people can hunt them.

T

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We're starting to get a pretty good herd here in the Smokies. There have been a few hanging out near where I live lately. It would be nice to eventually get a huntable population like KY and TN.

if i am not mistaken...there was an article in GON about 3 years ago about a guy in the Dillard/Clayton area who shot a Elk(cow) and he was hit by the Feds. pretty hard from what I remember

godogs57

All suitable areas (mountains) are too populated with folks. Our largest national forest areas are still not remote enough, nor are they far enough from larger population centers for it to work...straight from the mouth of a DNR biologist.

hawgrider1200

We do have an elk herd in Ga! I see them quite frequently in Twiggs county.

:rofl:....at the Elk Farm down there....pass it all the time going to Jeffersonville....I had to take a double take the first time I saw them

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Might as well go for buffalo too. There used to be a Woods Bison that lived in the South.

satchmo

Elk are less than two years from being in Georgia from their locations in Tenn and Ky. If an elk were to come under your deer stand right now ,you could legally shoot it and it would not even count against your deer tags. The elk foundation is working on stopping this before it happens. So elk will be protected when they finally do make it here, so far they are not protected in Ga. in the wild.