Etienne arrested

bass4fun

Hey, Aunt Bea, you ever do anything reckless and stupid when you were young? Most people do. I love when middle aged men act shocked that guys in their late teens and early twenties don’t always act like responsible adults.

They say stupid things like, “Used to be people that age were totin a rifle and charging machine gun nests.” That’s usually said by somebody who was never in the military and who doesn’t realize there’s a reason they get guys in their late teens and early twenties to tote rifles and charge machine gun fire. Nobody older than that will sign up for it because past that age they aren’t reckless and crazy enough.

Who here is willing to get off their little moral high horse and admit they’ve driven drunk? I have. I’m not proud of it and it was wrong but I’ve done it. And so have most of you at some point in your youth. Some of you have since then. You just aren’t GON admit it.

Etienne shouldn’t have done what he did. But there’s a bunch of people acting like they’re better than they are and the only reason why is football.
Aunt Bea? C'mon stretch Armstrong. You sure stretched the meaning of your original post and my reply. Realizing when you're older the difference between right and wrong is not a high horse. It's called maturity. The fact that we survived adolescence is called a gift from God.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Aunt Bea? C'mon stretch Armstrong. You sure stretched the meaning of your original post and my reply. Realizing when you're older the difference between right and wrong is not a high horse. It's called maturity. The fact that we survived adolescence is called a gift from God.
You took issue with my saying the only reason people care about this is because of football and those people’s dislike of the team Etienne plays for.

Do you think any of these people would care anything about this if it had been some random student at UGA or even say a guy on the swim team even if they heard about it? Highly unlikely.

He’s a football player who plays for a team that kicks their teams’ behinds or at the very least beats them. That’s why they care. You can say whatever you want but I know this is true.

James12

Serious question…. Why can’t Kirby be the greatest CFB coach and recruiter but still have a real issue with a specific discipline and/or culture on his team at the same time? I get being Homers like some of you (and remember the 63-3 game as well as any other), but wouldn’t you hear about it if were happening at AL, or MICH or with TLTUN as often too?

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Serious question…. Why can’t Kirby be the greatest CFB coach and recruiter but still have a real issue with a specific discipline and/or culture on his team at the same time? I get being Homers like some of you (and remember the 63-3 game as well as any other), but wouldn’t you hear about it if were happening at AL, or MICH or with TLTUN as often too?
Maybe the best players are the best players because they’re more reckless and less risk averse. Maybe one goes with the other. If you rack up too recruiting classes, as in top three, year after year maybe you end up with more of these type of guys. Or maybe nobody cares what’s going on at Michigan and some other places because they really hadn’t won anything that mattered until recently. And maybe people whose players quit because they did t get what they wanted should keep their mouths shut about culture. Just right off the top of my head.

Tight Lines

I did way worse in college and went to jail for it...he is still a kid...race, rap, and NIL are just red herrings...it's just kids in college...and it's just publicized because it's a D1 powerhouse...not defending his actions or Smart...but...

Kirby is a great coach and recruiter, and at the same time, he probably has some of the hardest to control players in college...because he is a great recruiter and gets the best. And with that comes challenges at times...

All programs have discipline issues...heck the best tight end to likely ever play in the NFL, Kelce, was thrown off the team in Cincinnati for smoking weed...Pat Tillman was sent to juvie in high school, had an outstanding college and start to an NFL career, and was allowed to enlist in the military...

Everyone makes mistakes, they are just a lot more prominent today with social media and liberal democratic journalists...

UGA doesn't have a systemic discipline problem under Kirby no more than any other SEC school does...

Like I said earlier, you hope they make good choices given the opportunities ahead, but I know I didn't always do that...

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You cant lay this entirely at Kirby’s feet. In fact he is one of the best coaches in the business. The folks are getting exactly what they want. If the DA and Sheriff hammered these idiots with 30-90 in county and few thousands in fines they may get somewhere stopping this. Instead they play the political game with UGA and slap their wrist. It’s what folks want, “Just Win.” Their elected officials, if they pick on the darlings they’ll pay a price.

I don’t think things getting worse is unique to UGA. Showering young adults who grew up with little with riches is bound have an impact. NIL isn’t helping anything in the sport.

MudDucker

Staff member

Man you are clueless. Al, Mich and Tltun all have the same problem, what they don't have is cops who target football players like in Athens. Kirby runs a tight program, but he can't be with those boys all the time. When I was in Athens, some of the things these guys are getting nailed for would have been laughed at.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
In Tuscaloosa they don’t street race they run distribution level drugs and run from the troopers. Wait, now there’s a real reason to get rid of drug laws. :bounce:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Who here is willing to get off their little moral high horse and admit they’ve driven drunk? I have. I’m not proud of it and it was wrong but I’ve done it. And so have most of you at some point in your youth. Some of you have since then. You just aren’t GON admit it.
Well, since you asked, I‘ve honestly never driven drunk. You want to know why? Because I’ve never drank. I saw how alcohol affected my older brother when he was younger, and I wanted no part of it. I’m sorry to be the square Dawg of the bunch, brother. :bounce:

Silver Britches

In Tuscaloosa they don’t street race they run distribution level drugs and run from the troopers. Wait, now there’s a real reason to get rid of drug laws. :bounce:
You forgot cry like a baby and beg officers not to call their mothers. ::ke::bounce:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Well, since you asked, I‘ve honestly never driven drunk. You want to know why? Because I’ve never drank. I saw how alcohol affected my older brother when he was younger, and I wanted no part of it. I’m sorry to be the square Dawg of the bunch, brother. :bounce:
Hey if you didn’t then you didn’t and good for you. You’re a better person than me I guess. I’m not bragging on it. But I’ve done it.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
You forgot cry like a baby and beg officers not to call their mothers. ::ke::bounce:
That video made me laugh, “But officer I can’t do this.” Too late moron you’re going to jail.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Yep. Now that St. Saban has retired special dispensations are gonna be hard to come by, especially if DeBoer doesn't put a winning program together quick. :bounce:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Yep. Now that St. Saban has retired special dispensations are gonna be hard to come by, especially if DeBoer doesn't put a winning program together quick. :bounce:
Nah, them boosters wil still pressure the politicians. Your right on DeBoer having to pull a winning team together.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Nah, them wil still pressure the politicians. Your right on DeBoer having to pull a winning team together.

I imagine every college in every small town rules the roost. I know UGA did when I was there. Whatever they wanted, they got. In fact, when the streaking was going on Athens/Clarke Co police said as long as it stayed on campus don't call them. They wouldn't even come arrest us and when we turned ourselves in and the campus cops asked them to bring us to them they told them come get 'em yourselves.

Silver Britches

Hey if you didn’t then you didn’t and good for you. You’re a better person than me I guess. I’m not bragging on it. But I’ve done it.
Brother, I’m no better than anyone. I’ve done plenty of stupid things, just not drink and drive. I plead the 5th on the rest of it. :bounce:

:cheers:

James12

Man you are clueless. Al, Mich and Tltun all have the same problem, what they don't have is cops who target football players like in Athens. Kirby runs a tight program, but he can't be with those boys all the time. When I was in Athens, some of the things these guys are getting nailed for would have been laughed at.

Woe is UGA. And I don’t recall anyone making comments about petty arrests.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Woe is UGA. And I don’t recall anyone making comments about petty arrests.
Honestly, what do you care? I certainly don’t. I hope the whole program falls apart. That’s not likely as good a coach as Kirby is.