Extraction issues

Hillbilly stalker

I'm having problems with my Savage Mark II extracting unfired shells from the chamber. It will extract fired or spent ones no problem. The rifle has had less than 300 rounds put thru it. I've cleaned the face of the bolt and around the extractor and ejector and the chamber. Any one have any ideals ? The hook on the ejector is sharp and the ports beside the chamber seem free of any debris. Why eject empties and not unfired rounds ? Thanks in advance.

Jester896

Senior Clown
did you disassemble the bolt to clean it?

the extractors aren't locking onto the unfired case...the fired case makes them lock on :huh:

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

I did not strip the bolt. I didn't want to chance springing it before I checked with some of you guys. I don't know if your familiar with that particular one, but the spring is a band that halfway encompasses the bolt, holding tension on both the extractor and ejector. I have had them apart before on my sons rifle, but I can do it to this one too. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Reactions: Dub

Hillbilly stalker

Definitely with Remington & Winchester, haven’t tried CCi’s. I googled the problem also, answers all over the place from replacement to doubling up on the bands. I was hoping someone had experienced it. Seems strange with a new rifle.

ldavid008

Mine has less than a hundred rounds through it for two reasons. First is because I spent a lot of time prying out the majority of fired rounds. Mine rarely extracts fired or unfired. Running some cleaning fluid with a toothbrush over the bolt face helps a little.

Second, because after approx. 70 rounds my magazine decided to start spewing rounds out the top. If it hasn't happened to you yet, then get some extra magazines or you'll be done for the day. It's another common problem and best I can find online is that the only fix is buying more magazines.

Anybody wanna buy a barely used Mark II? They're supposed to be great shooters, I wouldn't know as it has so many problems it's a such a pain to shoot.