NEF ejection

patriot15joe

I have a nef .243 that’s giving me an issue. It won’t eject a shot round or reloaded brass. It will eject factory (unfired) loads and new never fired brass with no issue. I took it to a gun smith and had the chamber polished and the ejector polished. Still have the issue with fired brass. I never had an issue with this gun until about 2 years ago. It has sat in the safe because you need a ram rod to get the fired shell out. Never had an issue with my other nefs. I guess the brass is expanding to the chamber?

Any thoughts?

Hillbilly stalker

A couple things I would look at or try.
Look closely with a magnifying glass at a shell that was fired and wouldn't eject. Does it appear the extractor grabbed it completely below the rim ?

Will a shell that's been fired load back into the chamber as easily and an unfired round ? If so I would guess a weak extractor and/or ejector.

I would also put a live round in the chamber with the barrel pointed down and see if its easier or harder to push out with a ramrod. That would let you know if its the brass swelling or not.

I had a very similar problem with a .22 Savage rifle. It was a factory problem with weak extractors and ejectors. The sent me new ones and the problem was solved.

patriot15joe

A couple things I would look at or try.
Look closely with a magnifying glass at a shell that was fired and wouldn't eject. Does it appear the extractor grabbed it completely below the rim ?

Will a shell that's been fired load back into the chamber as easily and an unfired round ? If so I would guess a weak extractor and/or ejector.

I would also put a live round in the chamber with the barrel pointed down and see if its easier or harder to push out with a ramrod. That would let you know if its the brass swelling or not.

I had a very similar problem with a .22 Savage rifle. It was a factory problem with weak extractors and ejectors. The sent me new ones and the problem was solved.
It will eject a live round no problem. I have only tried factory load and new brass loads. I will try previously fired brass loads tonight.

As for the ejector, the previously fired brass does have some resistance when I go to load it in the chamber. The new brass has no resistance.

Madman

With ejection problems I first think pressure. Any signs on the stuck brass? Flattened primer? Bright ring near the rim that could indicate head space problems. Any marks near the case neck?

Do you have the same problem with different ammo mfg.?

A light chamber polish may help. I use a tight wood dowel and non-embedding lapping compound.

I have a fired .308 shell I fixed to a brass rod. Put it on a super slow drill.

Attachments

• E7C29A15-9610-48CB-B0BA-2BCB8C6415E3.jpeg
    E7C29A15-9610-48CB-B0BA-2BCB8C6415E3.jpeg
    393.8 KB · Views: 6

patriot15joe

With ejection problems I first think pressure. Any signs on the stuck brass? Flattened primer? Bright ring near the rim that could indicate head space problems. Any marks near the case neck?

Do you have the same problem with different ammo mfg.?

A light chamber polish may help. I use a tight wood dowel and non-embedding lapping compound.

I have a fired .308 shell I fixed to a brass rod. Put it on a super slow drill.
I will have to look when I shoot it again. I did have the chamber polished at the gunsmith. It didn’t make a difference.

Latest posts