Recycling Dud Ammo

JR924

I have some steel cased and brass cased 8x57 ammo that failed to fire. There is a primer indent in each round but it never went off. I would like to recycle the lead and brass but don't want to spend much money on reloading hardware. Plus I am afraid the primer may go off during any homemade process I dream up. Any cheap and safe methods to recycle live ammo? I plan to melt the lead down for fish weights and just recycle the brass. Not reloading it so damaging any components is not an issue. Thanks in advance for any replies.

GregoryB.

A inertia hammer is pretty safe for removing bullets. Then you can put the brass with primer in a bucket of water to kill the primer and all is safe. Flowers like the gun powder.

SC Hunter

Fishing weights are cheap. Start a fire in a 55 gallon barrel toss the duds in and walk away. Sit behind a tree and drink 3 beers and go about your day. If they haven't gone off within 3 beers they aren't going off.

*this is not scientifically proven facts*

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
The primers will pop right out if removed slowly. I’ve pulled a few and kept for reuse. Get someone with equipment to help you. Consider letting them keep the primers for their effort. Primers are scarce in todays world.

JR924

I looked up the inertia hammer. Not that expensive so I bought one. However the barrel idea in appealing at my very liberal brother's backyard.

Jester896

Senior Clown
you can clamp them in a vice close to the bullet and use diagonal pliers to lever the bullets out and use the vice jaws as your fulcrum point.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
How much ammo are we talking?

Jester896

Senior Clown
if you had a press you could run them up with the proper shell holder through the die hole and grab them with diagonal pliers and use the top of the press as the fulcrum...bullet will slide out with enough upward pressure on the press handle...since you aren't worried about damaging the bullets. Grab the bullet as close to the neck as you can.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
If not in any hurry you can PM me and I’ll help you get this done. I have the equipment needed. With work I can’t promise it will be quick.

JR924

If not in any hurry you can PM me and I’ll help you get this done. I have the equipment needed. With work I can’t promise it will be quick.
Appreciate the offer but I just bought an inertia hammer to do the job. Also I am still shooting the ammo slowly so will have duds each time I shoot the ammo over the long term.

bighonkinjeep

Id pull em, mrasure amd save the powder , look inside to make sure theyre not those confounded Berdan primers( 2 flash holes in the base visible from inside), if they are then toss the cases ( broke a decapper on those things lesson learned), if not save them, prime, reseat and shoot em. Boxer pred brass is definitely worth more than scrap.
Componets are high as the moon and not always available anymore.
If youre in it for the cost of a puller might as well rescue what you can. Lee may even make an inexpensive " Lee Loader" for that caliber.
Heck over the holidays a Lee starter kit with everything but dies and consumables was sellimg for $130 might be time for a new hobby.

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Appreciate the offer but I just bought an inertia hammer to do the job. Also I am still shooting the ammo slowly so will have duds each time I shoot the ammo over the long term.
You’re welcome, primers can be got out with a home crafted tool. The key is pushing them out without any striking force.