Fat guy friendly kayaks?

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I am thinking of trying out a kayak. I am a big boy. About 350 pounds. Are there any kayak y'all reccomend that are ok for my weigh?

Turpentine

Kaku kahuna 700-$900/ kaku voodoo. 1100-$1300.

These are wicked cool platforms. They can transform from a simple stand up paddle board to an awesome one man fishing kayak and everything in between.

Check out some videos on em.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Ocean Kayak Big Game II, what I ride.
Lots of reviews on YouTube.
I’ve ridden this model for years and it’s a proven design.

Ajohnson0587

Here's some of the most popular fishing Kayaks and their capacity's, might be a few other's that im missing, but these are the ones that came to mind first. Obviously the Vibe would be the best option for a heavier guy, would still leave you some weight for accessories
Bonafide SS127- 475LB capacity
Feel Free Lure 13.5- 500LB capacity
Crescent LiteTackle- 450LB capacity
Vibe Sea Ghost 130- 550LB capacity

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Oh the BG II is 600 lbs weight capacity.

gma1320

Thank you for the information fellas. I've narrowed it down to the crescent light tackle and the vibe sea ghost 130.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Some kayaks for the big guys,you need to consider the width along with weight capacities,if your 350 I wouldnt consider anything with a weight capacity of less than 550 lbs.
Jackson Big Rig
NuCanoe Frontier 12
Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game II
Wilderness Systems Ride 135
Are just a few
Spending some seat time in the ones your interested in should be a priority.Rent,borrow or demo.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
^^^^^^^

That cant be said enough, try before you buy.
Will the seat in a particular yak suit you to enable spending hours in it.

How stable is the boat, particularly with a larger person in it?

Depending on the yak, a lower weight capacity could have you with a wet floor frequently.

gma1320

So how do I go about trying one out? I dont know of anyone who owns one that is rated high enough for me.

dank1296

I have a Crescent Lite Tackle 10 FT at my house in Cumming if Your Close i can meet you Lanier try it out. You will probably want the 12 foot for purchase

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

Mr Ruger above mentioned this one for me,,,,don't know about trying one out in your area though,,,,

If you make trip to a kayak store instead of big box store they often have a pool or will arrange a demo in nearby lake or stream?

That was a very nice gesture above but your over the weight capacity of that boat.

PM sent

Last edited:

longbowdave1

I am thinking of trying out a kayak. I am a big boy. About 350 pounds. Are there any kayak y'all reccomend that are ok for my weigh?

In January of 2018 I began a personal reduction plan, I was in the need of a big boy kayak as well. A year and a half later, there is 1/3 less of me to squeeze in to a kayak. Hope you find yourself a yak, it's a fun way to fish!

gma1320

In January of 2018 I began a personal reduction plan, I was in the need of a big boy kayak as well. A year and a half later, there is 1/3 less of me to squeeze in to a kayak. Hope you find yourself a yak, it's a fun way to fish!
Lol 374 down to 346 in since March. The kayak is part of the reduction plan. I figured what better way to exercise more than to be able to do a little fishing as well.

longbowdave1

Lol 374 down to 346 in since March. The kayak is part of the reduction plan. I figured what better way to exercise more than to be able to do a little fishing as well.

Amen to that brother! Keep up the good work. It will be worth all the effort!

Cmp1

BANNED
Congrats,,,,I'll take some,I'm 164 soaking wet,,,,I like the Nu Canoe cause I can put a trolling motor on it and it is wide and stable,,,,I won't be able to paddle,,,,Back issue,,,,definitely will need a cart,,,,

dank1296

By the way you would do just fine in a 12 foot Lite Tackle. Know a couple 300+ plus fellows have no problem plus their fishing gear.