Favorite Engine

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Me too. That old stuff always had something going on with it and everybody felt like a hero when they got to 100K.

I sold my 2001 F150 with a 5.4 to a family member for about 1/3 of what was advertised at the time. I've owned several brands produced from 1965 to 2020. It is the only one I drove over a 20 yr period that never left me on the side of the road.

You can get a good one or a bad one with any brand, but they all last longer now than in the 70s and 80s.
Yep, and you don't have to carry a case of oil in the bed. :)

earlthegoat2

I was very lucky to be exposed to valuable classics of the muscle car era. For years and even into the 2000s I swore off fuel injection and any modern engine electronic systems.

My first college degree was an associates in Auto Technology in 2002. I was the only one in my classes including the instructor who knew how to jet a carburetor for max performance, use a timing light, weight distributors for max performance, tune HEI ignitions, and rebuild and repair drum brakes. The old school carburetors and distributors really helped prepare me for the modern era and I learned to appreciate the new technology.

Nowadays I am an acolyte of the early 2000s gasoline engine technology and rate it as the best combination of MPG, power, reliability, and longevity. That generally goes for any common man’s vehicle of all makes and models of that era.

I pretty much despise post-2010 and the expensive, unreliable, complications that have been forced upon the manufacturers.

jrickman

Dad had a ‘69 Mach 1 with a 351 Windsor. He would have preferred the Cleveland but the car was too much to pass up. He still has a 428 Police Interceptor in his garage that he planned to put in it but he never got around to it and eventually sold the car four or five years ago. I still curse him about it every day.

I had a 69 Ranchero with the M code 351w in it, and man was that thing a sleeper. I’d never heard of that variant of that engine and had quite a few people try to convince me it was a Cleveland. But they did in fact put out a monster of a 351w in 69. They were rated at 290HP but mine was putting almost 285 to the wheels.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was very lucky to be exposed to valuable classics of the muscle car era. For years and even into the 2000s I swore off fuel injection and any modern engine electronic systems.

My first college degree was an associates in Auto Technology in 2002. I was the only one in my classes including the instructor who knew how to jet a carburetor for max performance, use a timing light, weight distributors for max performance, tune HEI ignitions, and rebuild and repair drum brakes. The old school carburetors and distributors really helped prepare me for the modern era and I learned to appreciate the new technology.

Nowadays I am an acolyte of the early 2000s gasoline engine technology and rate it as the best combination of MPG, power, reliability, and longevity. That generally goes for any common man’s vehicle of all makes and models of that era.

I pretty much despise post-2010 and the expensive, unreliable, complications that have been forced upon the manufacturers.
I have never had to repair a post-2010 engine once. 60s-90s, working on them at least once a month. Kept Chilton's repair manuals on hand. That is not reliable.

7 point

In high school I had a 1980 Toyota 4wd with a 20r in it had over 300k on it ran like a top the lady I bought it from drove it down from Denver Colorado.

crackerdave

Good post!

crackerdave

Worst engine 22re on 5th motor in Truck. 2 years now on 5th which is a new motor ever since new ticks but I am going to drive until it stops running. Best motor I have ever had with no issues 302.
Yeah...I'd forgotten about that 302.That was one of the best Fords.

crackerdave

Me too. That old stuff always had something going on with it and everybody felt like a hero when they got to 100K.

I sold my 2001 F150 with a 5.4 to a family member for about 1/3 of what was advertised at the time. I've owned several brands produced from 1965 to 2020. It is the only one I drove over a 20 yr period that never left me on the side of the road.

You can get a good one or a bad one with any brand, but they all last longer now than in the 70s and 80s.
Yeah,back then 100,000 was a lot.

jaydawg

From personal experience only, the ford 300 straight six and dodge 318…also the Chevy 454 never let me down…

jrickman

As far as the old vs. new goes, I'll say this much...

It is 100% true that the new stuff is far more reliable, with 100k miles being more or less the minimum threshold for acceptable reliability, and many new vehicles legitimately being good for 200k without a major repair. I don't dispute that at all. But it all comes with a big caveat.

I'm a decent mechanic, though I do not do it for a living anymore. I've worked on all manner of cars and trucks, tractors, general purpose machinery, helicopters (extensively), turbine engines (extensively), hydraulic systems, blah blah blah. I've rebuilt more than a dozen engines, half a dozen transmissions (auto and manual) and have done 2 frame-off jobs. In other words, I know my way around a toolbox and a shop floor. I am now an infrastructure architect and data scientist by trade...basically...a computer programmer, and while working my way up to that, I did my share of computer and electronics repair. In other words, I am equally comfortable with technology and computers in general. I understand down to the most minute detail how all the new stuff works and I ain't skeered of any of it.

But here's the thing. I have very little confidence in my ability to maintain these ultra-reliable new vehicles when they break down. They are so complex that even the most simple repairs can often require access to mountains of technical documentation to ensure you are not making any stupid assumptions. Even if you spend the money on that, you will eventually hit the specialty equipment requirement, and the local parts store will not have everything you need available for rental. Sooner or later, you'll hit the wall. Contrast that with my 100% confidence I can maintain any vehicle made prior to 1985 or so, and 95% confidence I can also handle most things from 1985 until about 2005...all with the tools and gear I have right here at my house and/or can rent from just about any chain parts store.

So it becomes a question of how long you plan to own a vehicle. If the answer is 10 years or until it falls over dead...new stuff is the answer, without a doubt. If the answer is "for the rest of my life unless I get an offer I can't refuse" then in a weird way, the old stuff winds up being more reliable in practice, assuming you have the skills to maintain it.

crackerdave

As far as the old vs. new goes, I'll say this much...

It is 100% true that the new stuff is far more reliable, with 100k miles being more or less the minimum threshold for acceptable reliability, and many new vehicles legitimately being good for 200k without a major repair. I don't dispute that at all. But it all comes with a big caveat.

I'm a decent mechanic, though I do not do it for a living anymore. I've worked on all manner of cars and trucks, tractors, general purpose machinery, helicopters (extensively), turbine engines (extensively), hydraulic systems, blah blah blah. I've rebuilt more than a dozen engines, half a dozen transmissions (auto and manual) and have done 2 frame-off jobs. In other words, I know my way around a toolbox and a shop floor. I am now an infrastructure architect and data scientist by trade...basically...a computer programmer, and while working my way up to that, I did my share of computer and electronics repair. In other words, I am equally comfortable with technology and computers in general. I understand down to the most minute detail how all the new stuff works and I ain't skeered of any of it.

But here's the thing. I have very little confidence in my ability to maintain these ultra-reliable new vehicles when they break down. They are so complex that even the most simple repairs can often require access to mountains of technical documentation to ensure you are not making any stupid assumptions. Even if you spend the money on that, you will eventually hit the specialty equipment requirement, and the local parts store will not have everything you need available for rental. Sooner or later, you'll hit the wall. Contrast that with my 100% confidence I can maintain any vehicle made prior to 1985 or so, and 95% confidence I can also handle most things from 1985 until about 2005...all with the tools and gear I have right here at my house and/or can rent from just about any chain parts store.

So it becomes a question of how long you plan to own a vehicle. If the answer is 10 years or until it falls over dead...new stuff is the answer, without a doubt. If the answer is "for the rest of my life unless I get an offer I can't refuse" then in a weird way, the old stuff winds up being more reliable in practice, assuming you have the skills to maintain it.
And that is why I'm sticking to my 1988 Jeep Wrangler.
Between me and a buddy who is a lifetime mechanic,we can fix it.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I can testify, here's my '71 340 balanced crank, stock rods and pistons, Direct Connection 284/484 Purple Shaft cam, Hedman Super Pro Husler Headers with slide on collectors, Weiand Single plane intake, Holley 750 single line. No rev limiter except the one in my head.
105-0598_img-jpg.973366
What this picture doesn't show, and most people would not believe is that I built a 904 transmission with a low first gear set out of a Dodge Dakota transmission along with a bolt in sprag, heavy duty band, extra clutch band, reprogrammed valve body, and a Turbo Action converter. This was based on detailed instructions from Herb McCandless ("Mr 4-Speed") himself. To my amazement, it turned out to be bulletproof and quick off the line. Everybody said "You got to have a 727", but I had just had one come apart after a professional rebuild and I wasn't taking a chance on paying someone again so I learned to build them myself and tried the 904.

crackerdave

What this picture doesn't show, and most people would not believe is that I built a 904 transmission with a low first gear set out of a Dodge Dakota transmission along with a bolt in sprag, heavy duty band, extra clutch band, reprogrammed valve body, and a Turbo Action converter. This was based on detailed instructions from Herb McCandless ("Mr 4-Speed") himself. To my amazement, it turned out to be bulletproof and quick off the line. Everybody said "You got to have a 727", but I had just had one come apart after a professional rebuild and I wasn't taking a chance on paying someone again so I learned to build them myself and tried the 904.
That is quite an accomplishment!

I thought this thread might turn up some real hotrodders.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I guess my favorite is the one I have now. This is the wife's truck. We built it with my USAF friend who was dying of cancer. It was featured on the forum. After he passed, we bought the truck from the one he left it to in his will. She took it over, I get to drive it occasionally.
340 bored .060 with a 4" stroker crank for a 416 ci small block. The cam profile is very close to the factory '68 340 4-speed spec but the centerline is pretty wicked.
What's on your bucket list (Dodge truck build) Some of the pics and video in the thread, were hosted on my now deleted personal Twitter page. I reposted this one on my "business" page.

Doboy Dawg

I’ll take any of the modern Chevy LS, 6 bolt main, motors that we currently play around with. They’re a lot easier to get 600hp and 300,000 miles out of.

I spent two entire days rebuilding these Rochester triple deuces on a 327 Chevy before I got them right. But that 327 with the deuces would give you whiplash in that 54 Chevy truck.

Currently have three LS Chevy long blocks built on engine stands, fresh back from the machine shop, waiting to be built to customer specs. Two 5.3 and one 4.8, all AFM deleted. Have one 6.0 to be rebuilt.
b7c6d8e1-17cf-46d4-aa6d-be3cd5219408-jpeg.1155128
CADDC211-1042-49D5-BB82-82C2A38A1223.jpeg

Attachments

• B7C6D8E1-17CF-46D4-AA6D-BE3CD5219408.jpeg
    B7C6D8E1-17CF-46D4-AA6D-BE3CD5219408.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 159
  • BAABC85F-499D-40EA-88B7-F28981DECFE4.jpeg
    BAABC85F-499D-40EA-88B7-F28981DECFE4.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I’ll take any of the modern Chevy LS, 6 bolt main, motors that we currently play around with. They’re a lot easier to get 600hp and 300,000 miles out of. I spent two entire days rebuilding these Rochester triple deuces on a 327 Chevy before I got them right. But that 327 with the deuces would give you whiplash in that 54 Chevy truck.

Currently have three LS Chevy long blocks built on engine stands, fresh back from the machine shop, waiting to be built to customer specs. Two 5.3 and one 4.8, all AFM deleted. Have one 6.0 to be rebuilt.
b7c6d8e1-17cf-46d4-aa6d-be3cd5219408-jpeg.1155128
View attachment 1155129
Ooh wee twins and boost gonna be a sweet ride

snuffy

Back in the early 70's I had a yellow 1966 Chevelle, with black leather seats and 283.

Wanted a SS 396 but couldn't afford it back then.

Sure wish I had it back. Traded it even for my first truck. 1961 chevy gas guzzler.

Redbow

I have always liked the Chrysler 440 engine, I had a 383 in '69 it was a good engine and never gave me any trouble.

I also like the 283 chevy, the 327, and the 350 that I have in my old '86 Chevy pickup.

I used to hang around with a guy who drag raced Plymouth super stock cars. He ran the 413 engines until the 426 Hemi's came out.

The old Ford 292 I have ridden many a mile sitting behind one of those things. I had a 352 engine in the first car I ever owned a 1960 Ford. The 289 Ford engine was a good one also as well as the 302. In 1974 I bought a Ford with a 351 cleveland engine it had power but was a gas hog. The Ford and Chevrolet 427 engines were good also.

I guess my favorite all time engine is the Chevy 350, the ones that had 350 horsepower, they were a beast.