Finally! Going under the knife...

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Surgery went fine. At home resting. Right arm feels like a dead fish...lol

Glad to hear it went well, missed it earlier. Get well and back in the saddle.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yep....starting to hurt. thank goodness for percocet

Take the maximum prescribed amount for a few days then taper off. I don’t remember needing any for PT. Be sure to take a stool softener if they didn’t prescribe one.

oldfella1962

Good luck! I had the rotator cuff repair a few years ago. I had waited too long so they couldn’t fix the detached bicep.
Three little holes. But a tip - if they give you a nerve blocker and also some pills for when it wears off, take the pills! I didn’t, and when the blocker wore off it was really bad.

So if they can't fix a detached bicep what does that mean? You can't lift or pull anything with that arm that involves your biceps?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Rough night. Couldn't get comfortable for anything.

And when the nerve block fully wore off around 1am...OH MY GOD, the pain brought tears to my eyes.

And I was 2 doses into the Percocet...i cant imagine the intensity if I had not started it when I did.

Not to bad at the moment...about nap time.

SwampMoss

Yep when the nerve block wears off it is rough. At least you had some decent pain med's. I thought was going to die the pain was so bad. I had my surgery on a friday. I was popping the med's prescribed to me at every interval. On Monday my wife called Dr's office and told the nurse I needed more I was in so much pain. The nurse flipped out and said I had already taken to much. Wife told her the med's were not working. The nurse looked up what was prescribed to me and apologized to my wife. They had basically prescribed me Tylenol. She had the Dr prescribe me some deladine I think and I made it through. Hang in their, it get's better. The surgery really helped me with my shoulder pain. I would advise you do take the PT seriously when you start it.

bass4fun

Rough night. Couldn't get comfortable for anything.

And when the nerve block fully wore off around 1am...OH MY GOD, the pain brought tears to my eyes.

And I was 2 doses into the Percocet...i cant imagine the intensity if I had not started it when I did.

Not to bad at the moment...about nap time.

You're smarter than I was. I told my wife no pain killers for me. The block had me fooled. When it wore off at 2:00 a.m., I woke her up and told her to shut the bedroom door. She asked why, and I told her because I don't want to wake up the kids with my moaning. It felt like someone was using a hammer and beating me! Stay strong...it doesn't last long. I was off pain meds in 3 days. Still hurt, but I hate pain meds.

sbroadwell

So if they can't fix a detached bicep what does that mean? You can't lift or pull anything with that arm that involves your biceps?

I can’t do curls with weights, and climbing a ladder is problematic. But I don’t want to do either of those things, so no big deal.
The doctor said it made the rotator cuff surgery easier as he didn’t have to reattach it. Asked for a discount, but he said it didn’t work that way.

sbroadwell

I’m sure you’ll be really glad you did it. I couldn’t even lift my arm to make a cast. It’s as good as new now. I did do all the therapy religiously. It wasn’t hard, just time consuming.

oldfella1962

Yep when the nerve block wears off it is rough. At least you had some decent pain med's. I thought was going to die the pain was so bad. I had my surgery on a friday. I was popping the med's prescribed to me at every interval. On Monday my wife called Dr's office and told the nurse I needed more I was in so much pain. The nurse flipped out and said I had already taken to much. Wife told her the med's were not working. The nurse looked up what was prescribed to me and apologized to my wife. They had basically prescribed me Tylenol. She had the Dr prescribe me some deladine I think and I made it through. Hang in their, it get's better. The surgery really helped me with my shoulder pain. I would advise you do take the PT seriously when you start it.

Reminds me of my 2004 surgery. I had a patient-controlled morphine drip, and the nurse told me hit the pickle button when the pain got unbearable. Once the pain got unbearable, I hit the button and waited...and the pain was still really intense. I hit the button again....still no relief. And again....nothing. I called the nurses into the room and they said I was using the morphine too fast. I said It's not working very well. I do have a naturally high drug tolerance, so maybe that was the problem.

The nurses went back to the floor station, and I could hear them arguing. It turns out that they couldn't figure out the metric system and messed up the ratio of morphine to saline fluid or whatever! :mad: The morphine drip was way too weak! They finally figured it out and after that the morphine worked as advertised.

But then I started thinking! :unsure: What if they had made it too strong and overdosed me? :oops: But wait, it gets better! The next day or so I was having trouble breathing or something (choking on food? I can't remember) so I hit the intercom and tried asking for help, but I couldn't speak - just gurgling noises. I was about thirty or forty feet from the floor station, and I could hear the nurses talking among themselves.

So a nurse - rather than take a few seconds out of her gossip session and come to my room - says on the intercom "SIR! You're going to have to speak clearly so we know what you need!" :mad: There I was choking and trying to yell for help, but they wouldn't take a few seconds to see what the trouble was. After a while of me hitting the call button they finally came to my room.

Buckbuster

I had that surgery in 2017 and it was the worse surgery I ever had. But it will get better, I stayed worried I would tear it and have to have it done again, I am fine now.