Finally got a few sets out

Mark K

Banned
Well good. I don’t feel so bad now. I had high hopes after that front blew through and it was clear and cooler. Guess the critters has other plans. Maybe tonight. Just once in my life I’d like a 75% catch on a check with a dozen or more traps out. Looking the place over I found 1 set of coyote tracks on each road. Only one area had 2 sets and that was coming and going. Even have a camera up trying to help me out and all I get are deer everywhere. (This is a no flash camera set where nothing pays attention to it...or I at least should get a pic of them paying attention to it)
Having to set so I can check and not get fired really puts a damper on my fun!

mossyoakpro

Well good. I don’t feel so bad now. I had high hopes after that front blew through and it was clear and cooler. Guess the critters has other plans. Maybe tonight. Just once in my life I’d like a 75% catch on a check with a dozen or more traps out. Looking the place over I found 1 set of coyote tracks on each road. Only one area had 2 sets and that was coming and going. Even have a camera up trying to help me out and all I get are deer everywhere. (This is a no flash camera set where nothing pays attention to it...or I at least should get a pic of them paying attention to it)
Having to set so I can check and not get fired really puts a damper on my fun!

Nothing for me this morning :(

I'm hoping maybe this front will get some stuff moving tonight...I'll be pulling up on Monday and move to a new spot the week after that. Hopefully to some coyote action! Tight chains!!

Mark K

Banned
Yeah I was really surprised this morning. Bad when we can’t even catch a possum! Gonna give this one more week or so.
Gonna be putting in breaks on the plantation next week and start burning the first weekend in March. I’ll start setting there after the breaks get put in.
Good luck!!

deermaster13

Dad caught another coon this morning, this weighed 14 lbs but I didn't take any pictures of it. He caught a big female coyote this morning but he said she was in rough shape and only kept skull. I'm hopefully setting a few in a pine plantation in the morning so I can run a short line before work next week. Looks like Sunday will be a wash out though. Good luck y'all and look forward to seeing what yall catch.

Mark K

Banned
Looks like all next week will be a wet week! Then again, they still eat and love in the rain. May get a little wet checking before work though. At least my coworkers understand my addiction, lol. I’ll walk in with my muddy snake boots and a change of clothes if needed and they just ask, “Any luck?”

Mark K

Banned
I’ll take a possum at this point, lol.
My other property becomes available tomorrow evening, but they’ll be putting in firebreaks all next week. Going to stay where I’m at for another week or so then hit the other property for the rest of Spring. Hopefully I can take a few more critters off this property before pulling. So far the rain hasn’t washed out any sets. Just makes it a little sloppy checking them.

mossyoakpro

I'm pulling tomorrow instead of Monday with the threat of 3 inches of rain...not too bad right now but with that much rain I'm afraid I would be rutting up the land owners stuff so I'm calling it good....count as of this morning.

9 possums
5 coons
4 Gray fox
1 Red fox
1 swine

Turkeys should be happy this spring....

We'll see what the morning brings. Maybe I can amend the numbers!!

Mark K

Banned
Sounds like a good run Mossy. I’m gonna give it at least 2 weeks total here. Looking like rain here, but so far not those totals...I hope.

Mark K

Banned
Landowner sent me pics his son took yesterday evening while doing some work at the farm. Had a couple incidentals, so I went out last night and reset the traps.
Had a possum in a pipe set this morning. Remade into a dirt hole set. I’ve only been out there a week now. I’ll pull next weekend or before season goes out, then go hit the plantation.
Getting firebreaks put in this week and we start burning March 2. Hopefully March will be a productive month.

deermaster13

Only a coon this morning. We pulled another tract this morning as well. Dad only has 17 sets out and I've got 5 to check before work. Roads were already a mess today, red clay tough get around in.

mossyoakpro

That's why I pu
Only a coon this morning. We pulled another tract this morning as well. Dad only has 17 sets out and I've got 5 to check before work. Roads were already a mess today, red clay tough get around in.

That's why I took mine up earlier than I wanted....the property I was on holds water pretty and it was already kinda bad in spots, with the extra rain I knew it would be even worse. He was happy with the body count so all is well....I'm heading to a sandy area next week that should be great even with rain. I'm going to try the peat moss trick to see how it works.

Tight chains everyone!!

Mark K

Banned
Had a coon this morning...in a foothold! Joker bypassed a DP to get to it too. And it doesn’t mater what direction he came from, he still walked right by it, lol. I’ll take what I can get though.
This property has pretty decent roads (watch me get stuck now) so I’m leaving my sets out.

Latest posts