First knife has been long in the making

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
About 20 years ago, I got the itch to "make" a knife. And the simplest construction method I found was to order a ready made blank and slap some scales on it. I ordered the blade I wanted, glued on some rosewood Dymondwood scales, shaped it on a belt sander and I've carried it and skinned more deer than I can count over the last 20 years.

Then a few years ago, Carl (Anvil Head) invited me to one of his Hammer In events at Trackrock and I met some great bladesmiths there. I took a lot of mental notes and SLOWLY started accumulating the tools I would one day need to forge blades. First, an anvil from a yard sale in Kentucky. Then, some hammers and tongs. And finally, a couple months ago I built my forge.

I had lots of scrap metal to learn with. I've made more scraps than I have tools, but it's an ongoing learning process.
Anyway, I finally finished my first knife from forge to finish. Carl will take one look at it and tell me the blade isn't straight, but I figure that's the only way to tell it from one of his.:D
Actually, now that I've had it out in the sunlight, I see that I'm not technically finished. I still have a little sanding to do, especially around the guard.

The blade is an old Nicholson file. The guard was a railroad spike that I hammered flat and then peened the face. The handle is from a chunk of stabilized black walnut from Bubba Custom Knives in Cleveland, red and black spacers, and elk antler I found in Colorado. I had a vision in my head of what I wanted this knife to look like, and surprisingly enough, it turned out pretty darn close to what I had pictured.

Thanks to all you guys who put your creative genius out here for the rest of us to admire and draw inspiration from! And thanks for looking.

26490670102_32dba3aeb0_b.jpg

26505915606_0019fc3cd4_b.jpg

26505911656_ca3fe4bcb7_b.jpg

26557456126_73bdbc20f5_b.jpg

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Looks good. It ought to serve for at least the next 20 years.
Keep after it and like the teacher said, show your work. :)

10mmhunter

Looks like a fine first forged blade. I've been forging blades since 1998 and I learn something new all the time. If you enjoy it keep on hammering!

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I suggest you do a good many more of them cause I'd certainly be willing to trade a frog skin or so for one of those. Great lookin knife. :cool:

QuakerBoy

Thats a fine looking blade. Especially for a first try

Anvil Head

Well there you go........told you it wasn't rocket science.
Turned out very well, now get some turkey blood on it to christen it right.
Did it right - make a plan, review the plan, then work the plan.
What's next?

ps - just askin.....hardest part???

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
ps - just askin.....hardest part???

I think the two hardest parts were both aesthetic. You can't tell from the pics, but the blade is beveled at both the spine and the edge. Similar to a double edged dagger, but obviously not as thin at the spine as at the edge. There's more metal in the middle than at the spine. Because of this, getting the spine straight was a real pain. Just when I would get the left bend out, I'd realize I had put a right bend back in it. It took some finesse.

But I think the hardest part was mating the guard to the blade. I need to make myself some file guides. Trying to file the base of the tang at perfect 90 degrees to mate up cleanly with the guard and leave no gaps was a slow tedious process using only a file and a bench vise, and I still didn't get it perfect.

But I learned something through trial and error at every stage, and I think the next one will be even better.

Anvil Head

>>But I think the hardest part was mating the guard to the blade. I need to make myself some file guides. Trying to file the base of the tang at perfect 90 degrees to mate up cleanly with the guard and leave no gaps was a slow tedious process using only a file and a bench vise, and I still didn't get it perfect.<<

This!!!! Most dreaded part of knifemaking (IMHO).

walkinboss01

Nice work

wvdawg

Staff member
Mighty fine first! Keep 'em coming! Looks great!

Razor Blade

Wes, i used to hate them also. They make this little jig that you clamp on to the tang and you file down against it. This jig is hardened so it skates a file. When you get there, you should be flat on both sides. I will send you a pic of it if you need to see it. You can make these fairly easy. Scott