Flatheads in lake Juliette?

Fisherman001

Just wondering if anybody has ever caught any flatheads in lake Juliette or Jackson Lake? My impression of flatheads is that they are mainly a river catfish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just wondering if anybody has ever caught any flatheads in lake Juliette or Jackson Lake? My impression of flatheads is that they are mainly a river catfish.

Flatheads like lakes just as much or more as they do rivers. Every lake in their range will have flatheads. We catch big ones out of Clark's Hill, plenty of them in there. Ditto Fontana near here. And about any other lake I've fished, for that matter.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If I remember right flatheads were illegally stocked in the Ocmulgee,some fishermen seem to believe they have the right to stock new species in water that are not their native range. Fairly I should point out that governments do that more than individuals. If a species is good for sport or eating somehow they seem to get transported and released to new areas.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
At least they're native here in western NC.

across the river

At least they're native here in western NC.

They are native to anything that eventually drains into the gulf, and “introduced” anywhere that eventually drains into the Atlantic. Pretty much the same for blue cats.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
They are native to anything that eventually drains into the gulf, and “introduced” anywhere that eventually drains into the Atlantic. Pretty much the same for blue cats.

I don`t think they`re native to the Flint-Chattahoochee-Apalachicola Rivers.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. All our rivers here in my neck of the woods go to the Tennessee, then the Ohio and Mississippi. We have plenty of flatheads, but no (0) blue cats. That's why I can't figure out all the new regulations on invasive blue cats in SC. I guess it's just because of $$$$.