Flint River Float

calebej23

Hello all. This is kind of late notice but I'm planning a float trip down the flint river tomorrow with my friends. My initial thought was I would just put in a sprewell bluff and take out at the flint river outdoor center, but I think I want to go further than 5 miles since we won't be fishing and therefore it won't be a very long float trip at all. So two questions. The first, how rough is yellowjacket shoals when the river is at 7-8 feet? Too rough for sit on top kayaks? Keep in mind we are 20 year olds and would love to see some rapid action. If the shoal isn't too bad, I'd like to go from sprewell bluff to pobiddy (or possibly just from FROC to pobiddy if we dont have enough time). Second question is is there any place upstream from sprewell bluff other than Goat Mountain where we could put in at to get a little more float time? I also know that sprewell bluff closes at 8 so if I could avoid that, that would be preferable. Any thoughts? Thanks, Caleb

KR250

I floated from the Outdoor Center/hwy 36 down to Adams Ferry Sunday and yellow jacket was pretty low. I had to get out and drag my kayak a couple of times. Take your time going through there it's like a maze and you will flip if you aren't careful. It will probably take 6 hours or so depending on how fast you go. From the bluff to Pobiddy is a quite a stretch for one day.

xs5875

Banned
River is low. Real low. I dont fish that area much due to the pressure. There arent any take outs that the public can use really, which sucks. As I have kids. And a 5 to 6 hr float with them is out the cards, there is nothing shorter than that. So we usually go to a put in, paddle up and float down, just to suffice them.

fish hawk

Bass Master
I've never walked more that I have floated.It's low but I love it when it gets like this.You might have to get out and drag some but it will be well worth it.My kayak fully loaded with me in it will float in some extremely shallow water,if theys 8 inches below me I'm good.Now a fully loaded canoe with two people in it is a different story.

Sapper

I floated it yesterday with minimal dragging. The flow was a bit slow in places and made for a long day but definitely a good one.