Florida makes a great Squirrel decision

specialk

my neighbor had them raiding his bird feeders and didnt want to kill them(non hunter) and asked to borrow my hav a hart trap, they wouldnt trip the trigger so he tied a fishing line to it and waited till they went in and he tripped it himself....he caught over 40 in a 3 week period....i never would have thought there was that many around a house.....

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I understand there are squirrel hunters still.
But not enough to affect the population statewide like there are deer and turkey hunters.

All the squirrels in SE Troup county are smart. They know a 22LR rifle when they see one. Then they leave and go to Harris county until 30 minutes after sunset. :bounce:

Swamprat

Swamprat
Yeah...looking to late summer to shoot squirrels twisting around the yard like they are in Circus De Solei due to bot flies under their skin.

Except for hogs every other animal that can be legally hunted needs a break

trial&error

The parts of Florida Ive lived in this won't change a thing. Squirrels were shot year round anyway. Though they are usually shot, My fil lives next to a school (so no shooting) and he trapped 22 and relocated in 2 weeks. He started painting them to make sure they were all new. They do so much damage getting in the attics, chewing up boat parts, I've even had them chew off the handle to my trailer jack. Had a friend go on vacation and squirrel knocked out his power, 2 weeks with the fridge and freezer out.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I can't see someone sitting in a FL woods in the summer or taking a fiest dog with them. That and "wolves", botfly larval infestation, in the squirrel. Gil

pacecars

I don’t see the summer months but being legally allowed to shoot them in October will be nice

across the river

Yeah...looking to late summer to shoot squirrels twisting around the yard like they are in Circus De Solei due to bot flies under their skin.

Except for hogs every other animal that can be legally hunted needs a break
So I assume you refuse to use a rat trap in the spring or summer.

Swamprat

Swamprat
So I assume you refuse to use a rat trap in the spring or summer.
That is the worse comparison I have ever seen. Have never had a issue with squirrels in my attic. Maybe the two barn cats help with keeping them away.

Farmer harvests crops or even turn up the fields in the spring behind my house and every mouse and rat is run out, cats work them over but some get in the shop so the traps come out.

I guess you shoot every house sparrow or starling you see....legal all year in Florida.