Flying Commercial with 18v Power Tools

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I am flying AirAlaska up north and plan to take some Milwaukee 18v Lithium battery power tools on a one way trip.

Originally my plan was to purchase and have the tools delivered to my PO Box in Alaska, but no one would ship lithium batteries to AK.

I went on AirAlaska and TSA websites and they say as long as the battery is installed you can put in Checked Baggage.

But i am a bit nervous because in real life i have found that sometimes airline websites and TSA guidance is not adhered to by folks on the ground.

My question is do any of you guys fly with tools that have lithium batteries?

Has it ever been a problem?

IMG_8209.jpeg

As you can see i plan to take several (10). I have two other guys traveling with me and can cross level them in multiple bags if needed

Do you have advice?

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
Never tried flying with them, but at work recently, we ordered some replacement batteries from Amazon. They arrived in a box with stickers on it "Lithium-Ion, GROUND SHIP ONLY, NOT FOR AIR" or something to that effect. Now that was "loose" batteries, but I can't see that making a difference. It's still a li-io battery even installed.

And fwiw, same batteries as you have.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
This is my industry, we ran into this on charter flights with the NASCAR teams. The crews would pull the batteries out of their battery tools. They put them in backpacks in the overheads.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Have you considered just buying them in Anchorage?
Yes we have.

We are going to a more remote location (KTN). The supply chain is always limited with only a few hardware stores. Over the years we have bought what they have (usually in a tool emergency) and that always means almost double the price and buy what is available. We have about three model tools and different proprietary batteries/chargers. And last year those old tools started to give out - not hold a charge. We decided that we want quality tools and common battery this year - and hopefully many more.

As a side note, we always try to buy local. I am very familiar with what is available in town and decided that on this particular purchase. This was the correct short term and long term decision.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
This is my industry, we ran into this on charter flights with the NASCAR teams. The crews would pull the batteries out of their battery tools. They put them in backpacks in the overheads.
Ok, great. Sounds like you are the expert i was hoping to hear from. Thank you very much for the reply. I have a few more questions

Do charter flights go through the same TSA as a Air Alaska customer flying economy class? Did they (NASCAR) get any special treatment? I assume that these kind of batteries are transported all the time, should i mention that i have lithium batteries at TSA security or would you just get through and hope they don't ask any questions? Show them the link you provided if questions are asked? Is FAA final authority?

Reason why i am asking the question:
A few years ago we had a unloaded lithium nail gun with the battery attached go through checked bags. It went through with no problem. Based off what you say, was this improper, and perhaps “missed” at the check baggage station? It was not our intention to do anything wrong. It was not my bag but with a guy i was traveling with.

On the Air Alaska webpage: “You may check bags that contain lithium batteries only if they are installed in the electronic devices.” We thought we were doing the proper procedure.

I don’t want to install them in the tools, place them in check baggage, and get to destination and find out they never got on the plane due to safety concerns.

Of course i want to be safe and follow proper rules especially with that many tools (and five batteries), but i also don't want to check all the tools, and then at the TSA Security check get turned around with five batteries and no tools to install them in.

I don't mind at all carrying the batteries in my carry on. They aren’t very heavy and i usually don't have much in carry on anyway so it is no inconvenience at all as long as i get through security.

Thank you.

GA1dad

S
I'm sitting at an airport gate right now with four 20v Lithium batteries and a lithium flashlight in my carry-on backpack. I fly for work all the time and every airport I've been to requires you keep the batteries with you.

I did find out the hard way that you can't put a cresent wrench or 3/8 ratchet in you carry-on unless they are less that 6 inches long. Guess they were fearing I'd make adjustments to somebodys head in flight.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Ok, great. Sounds like you are the expert i was hoping to hear from. Thank you very much for the reply. I have a few more questions

Do charter flights go through the same TSA as a Air Alaska customer flying economy class? Did they (NASCAR) get any special treatment? I assume that these kind of batteries are transported all the time, should i mention that i have lithium batteries at TSA security or would you just get through and hope they don't ask any questions? Show them the link you provided if questions are asked? Is FAA final authority?

Reason why i am asking the question:
A few years ago we had a unloaded lithium nail gun with the battery attached go through checked bags. It went through with no problem. Based off what you say, was this improper, and perhaps “missed” at the check baggage station? It was not our intention to do anything wrong. It was not my bag but with a guy i was traveling with.

On the Air Alaska webpage: “You may check bags that contain lithium batteries only if they are installed in the electronic devices.” We thought we were doing the proper procedure.

I don’t want to install them in the tools, place them in check baggage, and get to destination and find out they never got on the plane due to safety concerns.

Of course i want to be safe and follow proper rules especially with that many tools (and five batteries), but i also don't want to check all the tools, and then at the TSA Security check get turned around with five batteries and no tools to install them in.

I don't mind at all carrying the batteries in my carry on. They aren’t very heavy and i usually don't have much in carry on anyway so it is no inconvenience at all as long as i get through security.

Thank you.
I wish I could make this simple but nothing with the government is. If you’re on a charter flight leaving a gate you will go through the same security as everyone else. If you’re leaving a corporate FBO and not going through the terminal you will be screened using a hand wand. Don’t mention anything to the TSA, the FAA is the agency regulating the batteries. The TSA is only looking for things that can be used as a weapon. If you draw attention to the batteries you may cause yourself issues. For an abundance of caution you could pring the page I posted out and take it with you in case you run into someone uninformed.

oldfella1962

:ROFLMAO: Man do I feel stupid! When I read the thread title, I envisioned a plane powered by an 18-volt battery! :eek: If this was the case, you may as well fly to Sweden to collect your Nobel Prize. Or not, considering you would never make it off the tarmac to begin with.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
S
I'm sitting at an airport gate right now with four 20v Lithium batteries and a lithium flashlight in my carry-on backpack. I fly for work all the time and every airport I've been to requires you keep the batteries with you.

I did find out the hard way that you can't put a cresent wrench or 3/8 ratchet in you carry-on unless they are less that 6 inches long. Guess they were fearing I'd make adjustments to somebodys head in flight.
Ok - thank you

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I wish I could make this simple but nothing with the government is. If you’re on a charter flight leaving a gate you will go through the same security as everyone else. If you’re leaving a corporate FBO and not going through the terminal you will be screened using a hand wand. Don’t mention anything to the TSA, the FAA is the agency regulating the batteries. The TSA is only looking for things that can be used as a weapon. If you draw attention to the batteries you may cause yourself issues. For an abundance of caution you could pring the page I posted out and take it with you in case you run into someone uninformed.
OK - thanks. I didn’t mean to make it harder to answer the question than it was - sorry. I think i got it now… carry the batteries on the plane and stay off the TSA radar. Print the FFA guidance and us it only if TSA gets weird, but this is routine.

I appreciate all who have helped. I fly early Wednesday. I will update the post if i learn anything new.