Fools pulling trailers..

Doc_5729

I meant to post this last week but forgot about it until I saw a picture a few minutes ago.

I was cruising up I-20 westbound a few weeks ago east of Covington minding my own business in the right lane. I was on a section that's still 2 lanes on either side separated by a grass median.

I'm running about 75 mph or so in a 70 mph zone. No biggie right?

Well folks are passing me like I'm sitting still, usual traffic flow day, when all the sudden this SUV pulls along beside me. I took notice as the rear of the vehicle was dragging the ground and this guys pulling a trailer.

Looked like a 5' X 10', maybe a 5 X 12, the cheap ones with the wire mesh floor, fold up gate. Maybe had a 2500 lb axle.

Now this SUV was loaded with all kinds of coolers and camping equipment and the trailer has this huge boss hog 4 wheeler complete with the gun racks and plastic gun cases, a wench and the works. Not only was the trailer OVER loaded with the 4 wheeler, this fool had firewood stacked everywhere you could poke a piece of wood. The tires were tilted outward at the bottom he was so overloaded.

And he's running about 80-85 mph.

Just as the rear end of the trailer gets even with my front bumper, the trailer breaks loose and begins fishtailing. I hit my brakes just in time to keep from being smashed and the fool in the SUV slams on brakes which compounds the problem even more. Guess he didn't have brains enough to just let off of it and coast to slow down.

Now I'm really on my brakes and the guy behind me is about to eat me alive and smoke is boiling out of the wheel wells of that 18 wheeler back there.

By now he's fishtailing to the point he's swerving half way across the right lane and back across into the grass. I'm headed to the emergency lane to avoid a pile up at 50-60 mph and give some folks some room. The 18 wheeler follows my lead.

Some how he finally managed to hold on and didn't lose it all together. I don't know how, maybe God saved him, or better yet me.

He did get off at the next exit, I expect he needed to change pants, or someone that was with him did.

Heavy sigh of relief and I went on about my way and reached my destination.

Later in the afternoon I had to go into Decatur, but had to make a stop in Conyers on the way.

I'm rolling along this time running 65 just like the speed limit sign says. Man, this is killing me too because I normally don't drive the speed limit. At any rate, I vowed to slow down so I'm doing what I can to keep that promise.

Now here comes this idiot in a Ford F150 pulling a Taurus on a tow dolly running about 90 mph.

This dude must be the fool of all fools. That truck was swaying left and right and fishtailed a few times and he ain't even thought about slowing down.

I reached my exit, hopped off and took care of my business in Conyers; then continued on my journey to Decatur.

So I'm cruising along running the speed limit and as I go around the curve at Evans Mill, BAM!!!!!!! traffic comes to a HALT!!!!!!.

Just dog gone it!!!!, well I said something else I can't said here, but you get the idea. I was beyond the point of taking the exit so I was STUCK!!!

It took about 30 minutes to get past the Hillandale bridge, that bridge with no exits, and guess what the hold up was?

There the fool is in the Ford F150. He's sitting in the emergency lane with the rear end facing Atlanta and the front headed in the wrong direction.

The Taurus and tow dolly?

Well they are down a small embankment sitting in the ditch against a tree. I did notice that when everything broke loose, it ripped the Type 3 trailer hitch and part of the frame from under the truck, along with the spare tire. Smashed the rear quarter and tail gate and did some severe damage to the bumper.

The Taurus looked like the drivers door was caved in and the top was bent from the impact with the tree. The skid marks went every which away. I figured it broke loose and he hit the brakes, then the car out ran the truck.

Looked like a cop was writing him a ticket and I swear it looked like you could see him shaking. I know he looked awful pale.

Come to think of it the cop was kind of keeping his distance too. hmmmmmmm, I wonder....:rofl:

Which brings me to this point.

When you see someone pulling a trailer be very cautious because the fools now days don't have a clue on how to drive, much less pull a trailer or tow something.

spraynpray

Yep, that was me with the 5x10, but I was exiting to pick up my son's dirt bike and camping gear and throw that stuff on top of the firewood!
Seriously, the thing that scares the begeebers out of me is the painters vans with 27 ladders on top held down by 2 bungee cords!

contender*

Yep. a lot of folks think the important thing about pulling is whether or not their pull vehicle will pull their trailer at highway speeds. They never think about stopping and vehicle capacity, just hook her up and go. :rolleyes:
I've seen a bunch of em while I'm on the road. If I see one like you described I just back off and letem roll. I just hope I don't catchem like you did and see them spread all over the road. :hair::hair:

seeker

The same thing happened to a trailer pulled by an SUV when I was headed to Missouri last June.

Attachments

• P1030023.jpg
    P1030023.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,676

Mel

Oh I know, I hear about it all the time on one of the horse forums.

Does my Durango/Jeep Cherokee/other small SUV have enough power to pull my 2 horse trailer?

I don't know why people can't get it through their heads, its about having enough power to PULL it, it's about having enough weight to CONTROL it.

What good is pulling power if the dang trailer is weaving all over the place and you can't stop it?

People are stupid.

Wahoo Creek

I was down in Florida about 10 years ago. Heavy winds. Some guy in a SUV pulling a camper. Would have been ok if not for the wind. I was about 20 car lengths behind when gust of wind flipped the trailer on its side which caused the back of the SUV to get jacked up. Fellow definitely needed to clean his shorts after that.

sewer hog

There should be certain liscense requirments to be able to pull any kind of trailer, most people have no clue. The most common I see are bobcats being pulled with 1/2 ton trucks. This should be a red flag for DOT.

i agree completely. i've seen folks getting behind trailer's like they aren't even there. you don't know how they tied that stuff down. half the time, if there is a bunch of junk on it, they didn't take the time to strap it down properly or even use a strap period. half the time, its whatever rope / twine they can find to "tie" it down. not to mention riding on bearings that haven't been checked in years along with dry rotted tires. there are certain thing that you can give people and they will show you how stupid they can be. 1) a gun 2) a boat 3) a trailer...lol.

contender*

There should be certain liscense requirments to be able to pull any kind of trailer, most people have no clue. The most common I see are bobcats being pulled with 1/2 ton trucks. This should be a red flag for DOT.

While I agree with the premise, I don't think we need another Gubment licensing requirement. We've got enough Gubment intervention as is.

Doc_5729

Not saying I'm an expert at pulling trailers, but growing up on a farm, we were taught the right way to pull a trailer. I've pulled my share of livestock and hauled many a load of hay, equipment, and materials on trailers.

I've always said that if a special license wasn't required, then at least anyone taking a drivers test should be required to drive a truck with a loaded trailer on a closed circuit course at the licensing office for the experience.

I was coming home from Monticello one hot afternoon pulling my 16' tandem when a KID in a little Honda pulled out in front of me and I was less than 75 yards from the road he pulled out of.

All I can say is someone was watching over both of us that day and it's a good thing I was coming back instead of going too. I had taken a bush hog and turning harrow back to the farm.

I took the shoulder and ruined a trailer tire in the process, but at least I didn't kill a stupid teenager.

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
I've about decided that there should be a special endorsement requirement to tow a trailer, which endorsement would be earned by studying, passing a written, and passing a practical test on hooking up, pulling, turning, stopping, and backing.

It is not practical in many respects, but the stupidity in towing is pretty astounding.

Nautical Son

Doc, I used to live in Newborn and that stretch from Hwy 11 up to Hwy 142 was always where I saw the stupid people.....you know the ones with a tandem jet-ski trailer headed for Oconee being pulled by a Honda Accord.....or the worst I saw was a Ford Ranger pulling a Bobcat without the bucket...litterally the back bumper was an inch off the pavement when he went across the Alcovy bridge...

I lived right on 142 in a curve and several times my mailbox was replaced by someone towing a trailer that they had no business towing.

I hear the question all the time will my ????150,1500,whatever tow a boat thats 28ft long......YES it will tow it...NO it will not stop it in an emergency manuever........

Doc_5729

Troy, you reminded me of something else........

Me and my wife were headed to Madison a few weeks ago and had a Toyota Corolla pass us. Man that dude was rolling. As he went by I noticed it had a under carriage trailer hitch that looked kind of funny. The wires looked like they were torn loose. Even pointed it out to my wife.

Well we went to Wally World and bought some of those $.40 lb turkeys and started back home.

After we went by that stretch of 20 that has the islands of trees at the rest area before Rutledge, there was a trailer off in the ditch on the other side.

I wondered if it belonged to the guy in the Corolla because it wasn't there when we went through the first time.

I know the stretch of 20 you mentioned and it's crazy going through there.

JohnBenoit09

What I love to see is the big flat bed trailers that guys will load atv and utvs on with not one strap holding them down.. All it takes is one bump and someone might not be making it home.

Nautical Son

Doc, I saw a guy cruising down I-95 the other day pulling a 6 X 10 enclosed trailer with a Corvette.....dude was tooling right along like nobodys business doing around 70-75--I passed him pretty quick after I saw it swerve a couple of times......

I'm working up in the Philly area right now and on the way up here Sunday, they (DOT) had warnings up for people pulling any type of enclosed trailer or camper due to the high winds on some of the bridges, I drive an F-350 that tips the scales at around 13,500 as it was loaded and when then wind hit me I thought I was gonna have to make a lane change....I sure wouldn't have wanted to be towing anything with tall flat sides thats for sure.

Oh yeah, the DOT in Maryland is pulling over guys that have landscaping equipment on a trailer that isn't secured properly and also hitting them for no med card or CDL...they stopped our customer who is 65 and white haired for pulling an empty dump trailer, just to check him out and let him go.....GA won't be far behind if they figure out a way to increase revenue........

spraynpray

I'm a trailer dummy, too. Couple of yrs ago pulled the old 8N w/5' bushhog on my tandem 45 miles up the road to some property in Adairsville. Made it thru all those winding back roads just fine. Go to off-load and "kabang", tongue jumps off the hitch stopped only by safety chain. Trailer is now at such an angle the 8N wont reload without lifting front wheels and burying the bushhog. Nothing to do but continue unload. Another "kabang" and the tongue falls directly back onto the ball (proof that God does look after fools). Preflight checklist: lights-check, elec brakes-check, ramps secured-check, safety chains attached-check.......actually lock the tongue to the hitch ball.....duh, I had a bain -art and missed that one! So you don't have to be actually driving down the highway to still be a fool with a trailer. Guilty as charged (and lucky).

Last edited:

jonkayak

I pull a heavy trailer almost daily and the one I see all the time that gets me is the guys pulling the dump trailers. Just because you can fit it in there doesn't mean it can handle the load nor can your S10 or F150 for that matter. Saw two guys with a small dump trailer filled about 3' above the sides with broken bricks and bricks falling out and flying towards car. If you have a dump trailer buy a tarp and use it!

Doc_5729

Doc, I saw a guy cruising down I-95 the other day pulling a 6 X 10 enclosed trailer with a Corvette.....dude was tooling right along like nobodys business doing around 70-75--I passed him pretty quick after I saw it swerve a couple of times......

I'm working up in the Philly area right now and on the way up here Sunday, they (DOT) had warnings up for people pulling any type of enclosed trailer or camper due to the high winds on some of the bridges, I drive an F-350 that tips the scales at around 13,500 as it was loaded and when then wind hit me I thought I was gonna have to make a lane change....I sure wouldn't have wanted to be towing anything with tall flat sides thats for sure.

Oh yeah, the DOT in Maryland is pulling over guys that have landscaping equipment on a trailer that isn't secured properly and also hitting them for no med card or CDL...they stopped our customer who is 65 and white haired for pulling an empty dump trailer, just to check him out and let him go.....GA won't be far behind if they figure out a way to increase revenue........

I know what you mean about the wind. Back when I was still doing HVAC installs full time I had 8' side body boxes on my truck.

I've had the wind blow me into another lane in a heartbeat. Vans are just as bad.

Doc_5729

The same thing happened to a trailer pulled by an SUV when I was headed to Missouri last June.

Saw a guy a few months ago at the C store pulling a HUGE camper with a half ton pick up.

He was also pulling a boat behind the camper and the boat was loaded with junk too.:crazy:

Redbow

Yeah they are everywhere you do have to watch out for them !

I have found a few very nice tools in the middle of the highway that apparently fell off a trailer ! Found a very nice 7/8 open end box end wrench just this past summer ! If I see something fall off a trailer I will try my best to run that person down and return his property, but if its in the highway with no one around,,its mine unless there is a name and address on it or a phone number !