For Goodness Sake, Pay The Man

Wifeshusband

I got two deer last season, one in October and another one in the middle of December. I picked up the December one early last month and, because things were slow, I had the opportunity to chew the fat with the owner or Southern Boys Deer Processing. Learned he was a retired Piggly Wiggly butcher out of Columbus and the guys working with him were butchers also. You can learn a lot talkin' to processors. Try it sometime.

One thing I learned that bothered me. Deer hunters dropping off deer and not picking up the meat. I really don't understand this.

Yep, year before last he had 2,000 lbs of unclaimed deer meat. Folks, that's well over a dozen deer. I can understand maybe a hunter died or one or two got very sick or moved out of state; but that can't account for so much orphaned venison. Of course, it went to charity, but he had to pay his butchers, and it cost $700 a month, he told me, to run his freezer. Tough business

This is akin to throwing fish on the bank or in the woods and leaving them there. If you're killing deer and dropping them off, and don't want it--at least pay the man so he can pay his hired help and tell him to donate it to charity. He had a lot of meat in his freezer this year, and, again, some of it was unclaimed. He said he was still holding meat from deer killed by bowhunters in September. I suggested he implement a down payment upon drop-off. He said he hated to resort to that. You can be too nice, sometimes, buddy.

He did an excellent job on both of my deer, as I have already eaten a good portion. They were vacuum sealed, so no more freezer burn or ice build up. Like I said, I don't get it: not picking up your venison, and, worse--not paying the man. A worker is worthy of his wages. I really can't imagine anyone on the GON Forum doing this.

But, like Gome Pyle once said, people are strange.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think the sad truth is that a lot of people are a lot more interested in the horns than they are in the meat. I bet they paid the taxidermist.

Wifeshusband

Milkman, you're absolutely right. I've been yield averaging about 55 lbs per deer on the last 3 or 4. That would make it well over 20 unclaimed deer. I do my own field dressing, but he has a lot of hunters dropping off deer unzipped. Although I paid $85 dollars per deer, which was very reasonable to me, he does charge $30 for field dressing.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I got two deer last season, one in October and another one in the middle of December. I picked up the December one early last month and, because things were slow, I had the opportunity to chew the fat with the owner or Southern Boys Deer Processing. Learned he was a retired Piggly Wiggly butcher out of Columbus and the guys working with him were butchers also. You can learn a lot talkin' to processors. Try it sometime.

One thing I learned that bothered me. Deer hunters dropping off deer and not picking up the meat. I really don't understand this.

Yep, year before last he had 2,000 lbs of unclaimed deer meat. Folks, that's well over a dozen deer. I can understand maybe a hunter died or one or two got very sick or moved out of state; but that can't account for so much orphaned venison. Of course, it went to charity, but he had to pay his butchers, and it cost $700 a month, he told me, to run his freezer. Tough business

This is akin to throwing fish on the bank or in the woods and leaving them there. If you're killing deer and dropping them off, and don't want it--at least pay the man so he can pay his hired help and tell him to donate it to charity. He had a lot of meat in his freezer this year, and, again, some of it was unclaimed. He said he was still holding meat from deer killed by bowhunters in September. I suggested he implement a down payment upon drop-off. He said he hated to resort to that. You can be too nice, sometimes, buddy.

He did an excellent job on both of my deer, as I have already eaten a good portion. They were vacuum sealed, so no more freezer burn or ice build up. Like I said, I don't get it: not picking up your venison, and, worse--not paying the man. A worker is worthy of his wages. I really can't imagine anyone on the GON Forum doing this.

But, like Gome Pyle once said, people are strange.
Those folks are in cusseta aren't they?

furtaker

I think the sad truth is that a lot of people are a lot more interested in the horns than they are in the meat. I bet they paid the taxidermist.
You'd be surprised at how many people do that to taxidermists too. I have a buddy who used to taxidermy and he got stuck by sorry folks all the time who wouldn't pick up their deer or fish. Some people out there just have no respect for anybody but themselves.

sghoghunter

My take on it is I’m sure most people take a deer on the hoof and say I want 1/2 smoked sausage and 1/2 hamburger then get a phone call a week later saying your meat is ready and your bill is 174.50. Their not thinking about the skinning price or disposable fee and not thinking about how much meat a 175lb buck will yield.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I don't get deer processed (do all that myself), but I do occasionally get one mounted. I pay my taxidermist half down (or more) when I drop the buck off. He knows me and knows when he calls I'll be there within 24 hours. I get mine pretty quick compared to new customers or guys who pay a 20 percent deposit.

Gator89

I don't get deer processed (do all that myself), but I do occasionally get one mounted. I pay my taxidermist half down (or more) when I drop the buck off. He knows me and knows when he calls I'll be there within 24 hours. I get mine pretty quick compared to new customers or guys who pay a 20 percent deposit.

I pay whatever the Taxidermists requests.

HavocLover

They’ll stiff him just as quick. A good friend of mine is a taxidermist. He’s constantly getting the run around. Ironically so, it’s normally the same guys that hound him during the process. Calling him weekly wanting to know the status of their animal, after he told them he’s easily 1-1.5+ years out. When it’s his turn to call them, suddenly there’s all kinds of excuses why they can’t pay the piper.

I don't understand that either. But the guy I use has a waiting list of people that will pay the processing fee for the meat not picked up.

Same. My processor has non-hunters that love venison, folks with animals that have heart conditions-needing the lean meat… you name it. He said tons of folks love the link sausage. Said he makes his living $3 at a time. Selling a pack of sausage here and there. I do think it’s illegal to sell to the public, but can’t fault him IMO. He’s just another little man trying to make a living.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Unless you know them, to heck with a down payment! Have them pay it all up front. No pay, no service. @C.Killmaster I thought the hunter bringing the meat had to provide his hunting license information? And if he don't have it, you can't legally process the meat? I'm sure a lot of small businesses won't ask for this info for fear of losing business, but I thought they were required by law to do so?

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
At least the unclaimed meat can be donated to a great cause, I reckon. But there are some sorry jokers out there. Sorry jokers!!!

coonhunter

I’ve had people pay in full up front and still not come get there meat.As for as getting a call about paying $174.50 it’s wrote right there on the paper you sign he cost then they want to argue about the price.I guess it’s a impulse buy.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I agree not paying a processor is bad.

But, people walk away from debt much more than this every day.
Some Folks think filing bankruptcy is a respectable way of doing it. If you have ever been the one owed it ain’t respectable at all

groundhawg

Unless you know them, to heck with a down payment! Have them pay it all up front. No pay, no service. @C.Killmaster I thought the hunter bringing the meat had to provide his hunting license information? And if he don't have it, you can't legally process the meat? I'm sure a lot of small businesses won't ask for this info for fear of losing business, but I thought they were required by law to do so?
Not sure if/why having information such as the hunter's license would help the processer collect the money due them. All processers I have ever use had al least your phone number so they could call you once the meat was ready. How would more information help the processer get paid?