Game Warden says....

General Lee

DaculaDeerDropper said:
So basicly it comes down to who do you believe?

For me personally, and only personally, I don't see the sport in it. The only positive that I see is that the deer will have plenty to eat and they will all be nice and fat.

Why do you want to bait the deer? To make it easier to kill them? Honestly I think there are some hunters who would use baiting to build their deer heard up, grow antlers and so forth.

But I truly believe, honestly, people who don't want to put any effort into harvesting deer, managing a deer heard, QDM, etc... will just be blasting, blasting and blasting.

It's funny I have a freind of mine that is a GW for Georgia and amazingly everytime he bust somebody for hunting over bait, they don't have their orange on, or they don't have license, or they don't have permission to be on the property they are hunting. Why is that?
Because these folks are consistent,if they're gonna break the law,they're gonna do it right,and not half ***Why sit up there in Orange over a pile of corn saying here I am Mr Warden! For every one the Wardens catch hunting over bait,10 see them coming and break camp,never detected by the Warden because they weren't wearing orange.......

Cypress94

Guys and Gals,
I realize I am posting near the end of this thread, and I'm certainly not here to down anyone. The only land I own is the land I live on, and I don't have a lease, therefore I hunt public land. I hunted in Polk county as a youngster on some land owned by a distant family member, and we built stands, and never had any luck. I saw a few, but I hunted open hardwoods all season and basically had no idea how to hunt deer. Now, at 29 years old, I hunt and I have LEARNED how to hunt....it's just like learning how to fish. You have to FIND the right place, and I realize that not all people are able to get out there and search and hike, but I'm telling you.....all these people that say over and over "I just don't see as many deer any more", I'm here to tell you...I see more deer than EVER. Baiting to me is wrong. It will only hurt the sport in the long run, and give the anti's a little more fuel for their fires. Just my .02.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Branchminnow said:
It has not came up for vote yet but all of the DNR rangers that I have spoken with feel the same way they think it will pass this time.

Most I have talked to said the same thing.

IMO, It is already legal to hunt over a feeder (200 yards, no line of sight), so making it illegal within a certain distance is just creating criminals for no good reason.

T

Guy

BUCKSHOT HALL said:
:confused: :confused: I have heard studies being done that found deer will feed more at night when corn feeders were put out. This could actually hurt your chances of seeing deer. I bet they won't allow it on WMA's.:confused:

That's what we found on our lease. It's almost as bad with food plots too. If the deer have a constant source of food, they will turn nocturnal.

I'm going to just stick to hunting funnels and sign and wait for my chance on a big one!

BWCA

You can come to FL to see that trend of feeding at night. I had my game cam out for a month and got over 80 pics and only about 6 during the day. The deer around here do not have to go far to get corn any where in the county. It seems to see deer you have to get the edge with good food plots because everyone has corn on the ground. We did not plant this year on a small place we hunt and have yet to see a deer on it. Last year we saw deer almost every hunt but had nice thick green patches?

ngabearhunter

Most folks do what they want in the woods regardless of the legality of it. For me personally, I think hunting over corn is wrong, even if they do legalize it. If you need corn to kill deer, maybe you need to learn how to hunt. I have friends in Texas who couldn't function without being able to hunt over corn.

I'll step back now and take the bashings and abuse since my opinion will not be well liked.

Thunder

Guy/buckshot......

Interesting comments. Actually for a mature buck it would make sense....not having to travel for a food source when everything is dried up later in the season. Just bed up and wait till dark. After a few trips, he could find it blindfolded!:hair:

Does on the other hand I don't think are that smart except for the old nanny's that tend to bust us often!:banginghe

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
BWCA said:
Has anyone heard or read if Texas as any reports of CWD they feed by the truckload.

Not yet. Just high occurances of Anthrax, Hemmoragic disease, black-leg etc. If that is what you want, Texas is ready when you are.

For those of you who are concerned with the truth about the side effects of baiting as proven by scientific research please visit the following site:

http://www.gwf.org/camobaitingindex.htm

BTW, in EVRY poll taken by the State, GONetwork etc. has shown a consistant strong majority of Georgia Hunters do not want baiting legalized in our state.

Despite that fact, there are folks with liberal leanings that believe they should be allowed to hunt over bait simply for their own self-gratification.

To answer the topic of the thread, there is no Bill or Resolution in the hopper to date for consideration under the "Gold Dome".

A report was due to the Legislature from the "Baiting Committee" but as of this afternoon it is far pastdue.

Perhaps someone has taken issue with the fact that in their priliminary report the members of that committee failed to report on some 3,000+ signatures on a petetion against baiting and forced them back to the drawing board.

Fishman

Jeff Young said:
BTW, in EVRY poll taken by the State, GONetwork etc. has shown a consistant strong majority of Georgia Hunters do not want baiting legalized in our state.

(State) Let's see the House deer committee with 3 public meetings had 120 votes supporting baiting and 77 opposed
not counting the two petitions strongly supporting the rights of people to bait.
(Gon) most of the votes that ask for a simple for or against vote comes out almost even but with the "for baiting" leading by one or two votes.

I don't see the "Strong majority of georgia hunters" you'll keep bragging about. Ralley you troops because the "Corn is about to Fly"

Fishman

biggame11 said:
Fishman,

Most of the votes by GON and The GONetwork do not support baiting which can be expected most people that support the issue will not subscribe because of Steve's stance on baiting.

Why subscribe to a magazine that doesn't support your right or belief's?

I subscribe and will continue to subscribe to make sure everyone has a voice not just the Anti Baiting Vocal Minority.

With the demographics of the GON subscription holders we will never get a pro baiting response, the deck is stacked to far in their favor but what does amaze me is how close the votes are even with the magazines Anti Baiting stance.

Power to the People not the Vocal Minority.

Biggame the last poll I saw back in august or september had a 51 to 49 poll that leaned towards the pro baiting side. I agree with you about the editor of the magazine and voiced my opinion by not subscribing to his magazine but my father in law brings his over just to get my blood pressure up. "Pro-choice for the hunters".

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Fishman said:
(State) Let's see the House deer committee with 3 public meetings had 120 votes supporting baiting and 77 opposed
not counting the two petitions strongly supporting the rights of people to bait.
(Gon) most of the votes that ask for a simple for or against vote comes out almost even but with the "for baiting" leading by one or two votes.

I don't see the "Strong majority of georgia hunters" you'll keep bragging about. Ralley you troops because the "Corn is about to Fly"

You too fail to count the 3,000+ antibaiters that submitted comments. Also, you should check the surveys compiled in the Deer management Plan. You may be shocked.

Time will tell.

Perhaps the Bait committee will be able to get their act together and put a Bill in the hopper. If so, we'll see if baiting in Georgia is defeated for the, what, 10th year in a row?

Time will tell. We will not solve the issue here. We might as well flail at the air!

CAL

Having fed deer for many years will little effort on my part for the facts,I have come to the conclusion it was a mistake.I have done my homework and feel that feeding deer is more of a mistake than most realize.I know form a farmers standpoint when we have a sick animal the very first thing we do is to isolate that animal from the rest of the herd.I have seen certain disease's spread like wildfire simply because the animals were drinking from the same trough.Hogs are the best example of this since they are animals that touch each other with their noses regularly.The only thing we have had to keep this from happening to the deer herd is we haven't had a disease as yet.If we do it will spread through a given herd of deer and when we as hunters realize it is or has happened it will be too late.Deer are browsers as we all know.Even fed they only browse at the feed and move on.The only positive thing they do is put their nose and mouth where the last one has been.This in my opinion is not really positive at all.With an infection it only aids in the spread of the infection.Left alone deer will eat a little here and move on to another spot and different food source.If a hunter will do his homework,he will find what I have posted to be the truth.If all had experience with farm animals as I have I think most will agree that supplemental feeding of deer in this part of the country is more or less useless.There is plenty of natural food already available.In snow country I can see where this would be beneficial but not down here in Ga.

BWCA

I see people who only put out mineral but do not bait or supplemental feed here and up north but I do not see much difference in the two. They are both still putting the animals in close contact as far as the disease factor.I plan on feeding and putting out mineral up where I hunt because wolves and winter seem to take care of only the strongest and healthiest animals.

Larry Rooks

I heard the same thing in our part of the state, mid GA and also from DNR officials. I think the permit will be something
like a 25.00 fee per feeding station and the owners name and permit # has to be fixed to the feeder in some way or another. This may elliminate being able to pour a 50 lb bag of wally world corn on the ground a day or so before hunting a stand. If it is just poured on the ground, no way to tag it or attach name and permit #:huh: I will go along with the permit and tagging a feeder that is run year long.
I still do not agree with pouring abag of corn on the ground
for deer