Game Warden says....

scshep2002

Banned
Coon dawg see I told you it woul dpost high and the evening rush hasnt even started yet!!! :) HEHE wait until tonight late night when the hard core posters get on here lol

UGAalum13

:pop: I know this looks like corn, but it's really cotton candy.:bounce:

IdRatherBHunting

I am still taking names for my list for "direct to your stand corn depot" You buy it and Ill come and supply it.

BWCA

This same hype hit in Alabama last year during the legis.session and it did not pass,(came real close).Corn is definitely the best doe management tool and I have killed some nice bucks over it but have seen just as many good bucks up north without it where there is a lot less deer.It is really a factor during bow season.

cowboyron

Don't know if this is true or not but I heard the feeder tags will be $50.00 . Don't know where my source got the info so it could be **

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Why don't we wait and see what the legislature does? I wish my GON would hurry up and get here.

huntfish

Hardwood man said:
It,s OK to feed deer during the off season to help the does with the fawns and bucks to be healthy and ready for the rut. But it just aint right to shot a deer that hangs around year round eating everyday. I have lived in my house for 4 years now and have had a feeder on the ridge just within sight behind it since we lived here. I have seen several bucks and a bunch of does raise their youngens around it. Have never hunted back there and don't see shooting one back there ever.
Why would anyone want to hunt over bait?

I guess feeding them without hunting them is OK because the disease vector is caused by hunters.:huh:

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Any facts to back it up or is that asking to much?

Biggame11, I know this will just kill you, but here are some facts for you.

This from the Cronic Wasting Disease Alliance out in the mid west, he's a Biologist for the state of Wisconsin.
http://www.cwd-info.org//pdf/FeedingDeer.pdf

Everyone wants to bait, CWD shows up and baiting is legal, we will have a lot of fisherman. I guess those same fisherman will want to start using dinamite when they don't want to bite? Just force 'em into the boat. All you'll need is a net. Save money on tackle and bait. Why not?

This from the AWF:

What does Baiting do?
It increases the chance for disease transmission and spread among deer and other wildlife - Wildlife research has shown that baiting deer causes them to unnaturally concentrate around baited areas. This increases the likelihood of spreading diseases between animals by direct contact and through eating bait contaminated with disease causing agents shed in feces, saliva or other excretions.
The following diseases are not currently present in Alabama, but they are causing major problems in several northern and western states. If these diseases make it to Alabama, and we hope they don't, baiting would significantly increase the opportunity for these diseases to spread. A number of states that have allowed baiting in the past have now outlawed the practice due to the role of baiting in the spread of these diseases. States that have a full or partial ban on baiting include: AL, AK, CA, CO, CT, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, ME, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NM, NY, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, WI, WY &WV.

Last edited:
E

edge

I was going to try to reply to the original post, but since the thread has turned into a way for folks to just increase their post count, then I'll just do that, too...............:type:

Randy

I would imagine that game wardens would love for it to be legalized. That would mean all they have to then is look for orange and complaint calls. That would cut down on their work tremendously. The fact that supplemental feeding was legalized must have added a lot of work for them?

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Randy, not arguing with you but the GW for our area is totally against it. For many reasons.

But what I see happening is, the House (if it's passed) is going to put a bunch of rules on it. Like, you have to have a feeder feeding year round, it has to stay in the same place for more than 4 months at a time, corn or apples or whatever can not be poured out on the ground, it has to be in an approved feeder, owners of the feeder will have to have a permit or license to have a feeder .... so forth and so on, so actually the GW's will have a whole lot of checking and record keeping to do to keep everyone playing by the rules.

Just my opinion. I think everyone thinks this issue will just be bait or no bait, and I think it's going to be bait, with 15 rules behind it.

BUCKSHOT HALL

Help or hurt chances for success?!

:confused: :confused: I have heard studies being done that found deer will feed more at night when corn feeders were put out. This could actually hurt your chances of seeing deer. I bet they won't allow it on WMA's.:confused:

DDD

Winter Weatherman
Dacula,

That doesn't bother me one bit if you would like I will post other info. to contradict these and any reports you would like to post but before I go to all this trouble, I would like you to take the time to read the Pro Baiting/Supplemental Feeding Article in this months GON after that if you would like to debait the issue I would be more than glad to.

Study up after you read the Article and see if you find that I made any false statements in the Article.

I am Traveling today and will get back to you if needed this evening.

So basicly it comes down to who do you believe?

For me personally, and only personally, I don't see the sport in it. The only positive that I see is that the deer will have plenty to eat and they will all be nice and fat.

Why do you want to bait the deer? To make it easier to kill them? Honestly I think there are some hunters who would use baiting to build their deer heard up, grow antlers and so forth.

But I truly believe, honestly, people who don't want to put any effort into harvesting deer, managing a deer heard, QDM, etc... will just be blasting, blasting and blasting.

It's funny I have a freind of mine that is a GW for Georgia and amazingly everytime he bust somebody for hunting over bait, they don't have their orange on, or they don't have license, or they don't have permission to be on the property they are hunting. Why is that?

gadeerwoman

DDD, you forgot the other excuse: "I didn't know that was there. I didn't put it there." (as in 'them ain't my pants). Game wardens love that one.

DDD

Winter Weatherman
"I just got on my stand, with no orange and no license and somebody else put that corn there."

Latest posts