Georgia quota systems is terrible

Would you pay a small fee if you got chosen for a quote hunt

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.

SPOON80

The quota system we have in Georgia is terrible. I don’t understand why the state doesn’t say if you get pick there is a fee for your spot an for the ones who choose not to pay,there spot comes open for the same fee. I mean think about this the money they will receive can go right back into the places we want to hunt for things like food plots,help with the roads..etc. I have been on several quota hunts an it always seems that the number of people who get pick are not the same number of people who actually show up. Take B.F Grant for instance all the times I have been there the numbers never match. Gator hunting is the same way we have zones that don’t have hardly any public water. Like for Instant zone four terrible zone to hunt. Plus not to mention I think the license fee is a bit much I mean it’s more then a sportsman license.sorry for the long post but has been on my mind for a while

Last edited:

bilgerat

Senior
First of all its a Quota hunt not a quote hunt and Ive already paid for the wma land with My tax dollars on all the outdoors gear Ive bought over the past 40+ years, I have every right to hunt the quota system and not be expected to pay for the right to hunt public land wmas, The people who get drawn and dont hunt are fine with me, just less people on the property and better hunting for me. if not having food plots or better roads gripes ya you can volunteer your time to go to your local wma and put in the work yourself.

SPOON80

First of all its a Quota hunt not a quote hunt and Ive already paid for the wma land with My tax dollars on all the outdoors gear Ive bought over the past 40+ years, I have every right to hunt the quota system and not be expected to pay for the right to hunt public land wmas, The people who get drawn and dont hunt are fine with me, just less people on the property and better hunting for me. if not having food plots or better roads gripes ya you can volunteer your time to go to your local wma and put in the work yourself.

I have no problem going to volunteer my time to help out with the wmas. The last time I spoke with the local dnr about helping with food plots I was told directly that they will not allow it.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I have no problem going to volunteer my time to help out with the wmas. The last time I spoke with the local dnr about helping with food plots I was told directly that they will not allow it.

They don’t allow volunteers. Its a liability.

biggdogg

The quota numbers are figured with no shows in mind. On some of these quota hunts, if everyone actually did show up, it would be a war zone, and some are that way even with the no shows. Seems to me someone got their feelings hurt when they got rejected for a hunt and wants to change the way things are done so that it works more in their favor...

I was selected in the past and did not go.

Weather was terrible all weekend for a turkey hunt and I did not go. It flooded the entire weekend. I planned on hunting with a few other people and NONE of us went that weekend.

Next trip I couldn't make because my wife had to go out of town and nobody was home to watch the kids. Next time I'll call you to watch them and I'll be sure to go.:ROFLMAO:

I think the systems works just great.

JonathonJEB

I like the system. My only gripe would be to stop changing the online format. It seems I have to figure something out every year. I think people that want to pay extra fees for food plots join hunting clubs.

tr21

They don’t allow volunteers. Its a liability.
wrong ! i put in over 220 hrs this year so far. you have to fill out papers saying you wont hold them liable if hurt. go to the ga dnr website and search volunteer with wrd. alot of it has to do with earning the trust of the area manager that you wont intentionally destroy his equipment (they know stuff happens) but if you go driving his tractor through the trees at 30mph, he probably aint going to let you on it again ( do you blame him?) . might take some time to earn their trust but it is worth the effort. think about it as if you were in his shoes would you just give someone who walked up the keys to a $200k piece of equipment and turn em loose? the state actually gets money from the feds for volunteer hours worked. like i said it can take some time to get to know them. my volunteering in done south of ATL. but i live in far north Ga., have explained to the dnr guys up here im willing to help and all my paperwork is in their system and i know how to run their equipment. for 10yrs. I've tried and never got a call from them, guess they dont need help !

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
wrong ! i put in over 220 hrs this year so far. you have to fill out papers saying you wont hold them liable if hurt. go to the ga dnr website and search volunteer with wrd. alot of it has to do with earning the trust of the area manager that you wont intentionally destroy his equipment (they know stuff happens) but if you go driving his tractor through the trees at 30mph, he probably aint going to let you on it again ( do you blame him?) . might take some time to earn their trust but it is worth the effort. think about it as if you were in his shoes would you just give someone who walked up the keys to a $200k piece of equipment and turn em loose? the state actually gets money from the feds for volunteer hours worked. like i said it can take some time to get to know them. my volunteering in done south of ATL. but i live in far north Ga., have explained to the dnr guys up here im willing to help and all my paperwork is in their system and i know how to run their equipment. for 10yrs. I've tried and never got a call from them, guess they dont need help !

OK, well next time you see Greg Balcom, ask him why I was turned down after offering, on multiple occasions, to sign whatever they needed AND to use my own equipment, my own fuel and my own insurance policy at no charge to the state to both bush hog the goose grazing pastures at Clark Hill WMA and to fix the breach in the impoundment at Fishing Creek WMA.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War

And what does the state of Georgia own that cost $200K??? All of their equipment is un-maintained junk. Big reason why nothing ever gets taken care of on public land.

And what does the state of Georgia own that cost $200K??? All of their equipment is un-maintained junk. Big reason why nothing ever gets taken care of on public land.

This is not true. Last year on Chattahoochee I saw some relatively new tractors in great shape. Not 200k tractors, but nice ones for sure.

SPOON80

And also I forgot to mention I think they should take the the deer limit we have and change it to 3 does and one buck.

SPOON80

I was selected in the past and did not go.

Weather was terrible all weekend for a turkey hunt and I did not go. It flooded the entire weekend. I planned on hunting with a few other people and NONE of us went that weekend.

Next trip I couldn't make because my wife had to go out of town and nobody was home to watch the kids. Next time I'll call you to watch them and I'll be sure to go.:ROFLMAO:

I think the systems works just great.
Heck I would have taken my kids with me

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
And also I forgot to mention I think they should take the the deer limit we have and change it to 3 does and one buck.

You can do that very thing now. The state gives you that option, and you can tailor your needs to what the land can support.

If you`re after meat, you`d be better off taking a couple of young bucks, and leave the does be, unless you have a surplus.