Good Fishing HORRIBLE day on lake

Dryzdale

Went to Lake Jackson Tuesday for some crappie. As a member of the lastest Nation in the world my citizenship was confirmed early in my trip. Right off I'm outting rods fish finders etc.on boat and notice that my Elite isnt coming on. I turn the key just to hit the motor fing my batteries are dead.
What Nation you ask??? ProcrastiNATION. I've know for some time that I needed to replace my trolling battery but put it off using my crank battery. Anyway I went and bought one from the store on 212.

Get to fishing the bite is slow but caught some decent fish. A fishing buddy Ryan came out at 1ish and we fished till 6 ish. Heres where the day goes to the crapper.

The boat motor stalls it cranks but putting out white smoke as soon as its put in gear is stalls. Well we are left with only the trolling motor to pull us from the bend of the South and Alcovy River to Barry. Oh yeah my trolling motor speed has been stuck on 3 for a while so we can only go .69mph. I've been meaning to get that fixed ProcrastiNATION my cell phone battery died 30 min ago, been meaning to add a cigaret lighter to boat ProcrastiNATION citizenship. Thank goodness Ryans phone has a charge (for now) but my numbers are in my phone which is DEAD.

Remember my battery that didnt crank in the am. Now we are losing power in the one I purchased. When we turn the bend heasding to Barrys we see boat lights and figure if we can get close enough we could get people to tow us in. We get close enough to hear their conversation but the apparently they dont hear me screaming Hello Hello Mayday Mayday. We call 911. DNR calls back and say we may not be able to put a boat in the water. :cry: Now I yell for the guys fishing again "Hey Fellas Can You Hear Me"
"Yeah"
"Can we get a little help my motors broke down." I think I heard a "No" I wasnt sure about the verbal response but the physical left no question. They didnt MOVE. The only other boats (plural)on the water REFUSED to help. :banginghe

If you are on this forum. I hope your boat never breaks down. But if it does I pray that God grants you more grace than you afforded me in my diar time of need. Personally I think you are lower than the lowest level of prehistoric frog feces at the bottom of the New Jersey scum swamps. Thats just one mans opinion. Im sure the guys in the other boat with you would disagree.

After 3 1/2 hours I had no choice but to knock of a someone door and ask for help. Met a wonderfully graceous guy named Ted who allowed me to use his phone to call the wife, leave my boat on his dock and drove me to Barry to get my truck so I could get home.

I Thank God for this forum because it has allowed me the opportunity to meet great people like Richard "Shoot2Grill" Malcolm. Richard had a buddy Brian "Coop" who fished today and agreed to tow me back when I got out there.
Also met my mechanic Allen Lambert from Troutman. Took my boat to him today and found out that by some happenstance the oil I added to my gas on the way in went straight inti the fuel line and thats likely why I stalled. We burned it out and ran great as usual.

Better than my best day at work....Maybe not. :cheers:

fishingga

Only the lowest of low life will not help another boater in need. I don't wish bad for anyone but it is hard not to.

Chuckleberry FIN

What goes around....

Sorry to hear about your bad day. More sorry to hear about a sprru fellow fisherman wouldn't help you out of a jam. I have been in a few of those situations myself, and the only comfort I can gain in times like that is to remind myself that what "goes around, comes around"... and the Lord will ask for an accounting of themselves ( and from all of us) when we stand before his judgement.

You made it home ok gut but i wouldn't want to be the other guy in that other boat. It may not be this lifetime that he receives his reward, but he will have to answer at some point in the futre for his decision he made out on the water today.
Good luck in the future and dont become a a PRO -- at procastination that it.

Bryan

Troutman3000

Well at least at the end of the day all were safe and nothing was broken. Glad Allen could help you out, I doubt he even charged you much, if anything at all.

wncslim

If I'm not mistaken it is against the law to refuse to help a distressed boater. Glad it all worked out in the end.

brianj

You have to wonder what people are thinking when they turn down a person that's stranded/in need like that - I just don't get it.
Any time I'm on the water and see a boat that looks like it may need help, I always slow down and make sure everything's okay.

As others have said - what goes around comes around.
Glad you guys made it in okay.

Sweetwater

If I'm not mistaken it is against the law to refuse to help a distressed boater. Glad it all worked out in the end.

I thought so too...but don't know for a fact.

OP...this is why I'm particular about who I go out on blue water with. It's one thing to head out on Jackson or the point with a half way bad battery..or something not functioning right....but in some waters...that can cost you your life.

If one system or part of your boat is halfway working right...BetOnAnotherThousand...that it will fail when you are the farthest away from the ramp.

EDIT: Couldn't find any Ga law regarding the issue...but there are federal laws regarding boats at sea.

46 U.S.C. Sec. 2304. Duty to provide assistance at sea

(a) A master or individual in charge of a vessel shall render assistance to any individual found at sea in danger of being lost, so far as the master or individual in charge can do so without serious danger to the master's or individual's vessel or individuals on board.

(b) A master or individual violating this section shall be fined not more than $1,000, imprisoned for not more than 2 years, or both.

Last edited:

Etoncathunter

I just don't see how someone couldn't help in this situation. I am not mechanically inclined, and if I was to try and tow another boat with my little one we'd probably see kids swimming past us faster. But I'd at least stop and try to help.

shoot2grill

Glad I could help you Dryzdale, man im just so sorry I missed your call that night. I would have hooked up the boat and been on the way no matter what time.

Dryzdale

Well at least at the end of the day all were safe and nothing was broken. Glad Allen could help you out, I doubt he even charged you much, if anything at all.

Yeah he's a heck of a guy and didnt cost me much more than 30 min of time, a Smile and a Thank You. I alway tell him I look forward to seeing him again BUT not to soon. :cool:

T.P.

Banned
Dang dude... Sorry about your luck last night. Now you see why I like dogs more than most people. I know there are some good folk out there but I seem to always meet the same ones you met on the lake that night.

Glad you eventually found some fine stand-up guys that were willing to help out. Like others have said, Karma is a son-of-a-gun!

porkbelly

I don't think the person is that bad of a person. I have had bad experiences in helping people. Just last month in Madison I gave a woman a ride only to be begged for money after she got in my truck. I had to give her twenty to get her out of my truck and still I had to order her out. Another time I gave a man a ride only to get a gun put to my head and he got real mad when I only had $11 in my wallet. Do you think I think hard before I offer help. I sure do and real hard. Will I ever need help ? yes. Will I get overly mad if I don't get it ? no

Big Dank

Glad you made it home safely and nothing major was wrong with your boat.That is Pitiful that another boater wouldn't stop what they were doing to help that is against any code of Human decency and most boaters know that could easily be them one day.What a Foul thing to do but as always GOD provided descent people to help.

j_seph

Dang, I believe I'd rather have been at work on that day. Maybe make you an emergency call list and put it in your tackle box in a couple of ziplock bags

T.P.

Banned
I don't think the person is that bad of a person. I have had bad experiences in helping people. Just last month in Madison I gave a woman a ride only to be begged for money after she got in my truck. I had to give her twenty to get her out of my truck and still I had to order her out. Another time I gave a man a ride only to get a gun put to my head and he got real mad when I only had $11 in my wallet. Do you think I think hard before I offer help. I sure do and real hard. Will I ever need help ? yes. Will I get overly mad if I don't get it ? no

I agree with you in most cases, I look long and hard at a person that is asking for help. I don't even slow down for a crackhead in downtown Atlanta. A person on the water asking for help in the dark could also be a shady situation. I like to think I can read folks pretty well, but I have been proven wrong time and time again.

In this situation though if the folks in the other boat felt any threat, they should have packed up and motored off, not ignored the situation and kept on fishing. I would have felt much different if the op said he hollered for help and they cranked the big motor and sped off....I think I would anyways. You bring up an excellent point.

Webbslinger

DANG!!! I agree with you guys that would've been a great day to be at work. People like that will surely get theirs sooner than later. It is truly a blessing things worked out for you dryzdale & you should really consider adding a list of names/numbers to an emergency box. I got mine thanks to you. LOL There are truly some good guys on this forum & I'm glad to meet all of them & to those that have met me hope feeling is mutual.

Dryzdale

Those are tough experiences and Im sure the affect your judgement and decision making process. Thanks for sharing your opinon. If a man sees or hears another man thorwing a 25lb anchor forward and pulling it to propel his boat forward. Safe to "Assume" his request is legit. Could always be wrong though. America is great because we can all have our OWN opinions.

"Overly mad" no. Just shaped an opinion of an anonymous stranger. I hope you never have to find out how angry you'd get. There are FAR more people who are willing to help than not.

Last edited:

The Foreigner

Dryzdale - I feel your pain man - had the batteries fail on me a couple of weeks back - stopped by two guys who were outstanding as it happens. I've bulked up on my batteries now, so shouldn't have that happen again any time soon.