Got busted on wma by buck

sb1010

How long should leave the area alone before hunting again. I am not really good aging but looked old for this wma. Thinking about setting popup and waiting 1 or 2 weeks

sb1010

I did not see the buck this weekend, saw a doe, too many branches in the way for a shot. It didn't spook so I think it didn't see me. I really need to get better at my setups. I go in the morning and when the sun comes up it never seems right. It's archery hunting on the WMA right now.

dang

DANG !!!
I did not see the buck this weekend, saw a doe, too many branches in the way for a shot. It didn't spook so I think it didn't see me. I really need to get better at my setups. I go in the morning and when the sun comes up it never seems right. It's archery hunting on the WMA right now.
Sometimes if I’m not sure, I’ll sit tight for about an hour or so at the base of a tree and wait on grey light. Makes it easier than setting up only to find you need to move. I don’t like walking in when it’s starting to break light although I’m sure there are folks who do that as well

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
How long should leave the area alone before hunting again. I am not really good aging but looked old for this wma. Thinking about setting popup and waiting 1 or 2 weeks
If you set your pop up up and leave it for a week, it may disappear! I’d go every chance I got! Sounds like you found them…..,,stay after them!

basshappy

BANNED
There certainly are…they seem very adept at walking directly under my stand as well.

I laughed out loud when I read your post! Reminded me of being up in a tree enjoying time in the tree when a couple walked beneath me totally unaware a person was 7 feet above them. They stopped to kiss at which point "Hey, get a room!" in a whisper voice rained down upon them from above :) They jumped startled and knocked heads - she sort of shrieked and he bolted a few steps. Chivalry eh ... Most people never look up.

Professor

He was feeding I think there are still some white oak acorns
I wouldn’t have left the area. He was feeding there, and likely only ran off a hundred yards or so. If I had the wind I would have found a good spot to sit because he almost certainly came back when he was confident you were gone.

sb1010

I'll be back the next chance I get, try to get setup better. Hopefully something happens next time.
I hear a lot of things about bucks that have survived a few hunting seasons don't give you another chance. I don't claim to knowhow to age very well, he looked like he had bigger body than many I have seen in person or trail cam.

Waddams

I'm still learning too but there are plenty of stories about a bumped buck that comes back when he thinks the coast is clear. They choose their bedding, travel routes, preferred food sources, even where they monitor doe's from, based on security. Especially when older and having survived hunter encounters. They get jittery and weary, but I've also heard it described as confident in their choices for security. Basically, his chosen security means when you bumped him worked. He survived and gave you the slip. He had a good escape plan. Since it worked, he might trust it again and come back, knowing he's got a good escape plan if he needs it.

I'm not good enough at killing (but am getting good at finding them) but guys better at than me have a lot of success figuring out how to ambush a bumped buck if or when it comes back. They come back enough apparently that guys dump them regularly once they've got a good technique for it down.

I tried my first bump and dump this past weekend. Didn't see him again, lol! He either didn't come back or he came back and gave me the slip without me seeing him. They're wiley critters!