Grady/Thomas/Mitchell Counties

tiddybream

I just shot a freak 7 point. I grunted and rattled at 7:15 and at 7:25 looked as far as I could see down the trail and he was running to me at a trot. I let him get to 15 yards and dropped hammer on him. Good late season freak buck to round out the year
Congrats man on the late season buck. Been slow the last few weeks for me. I have had 2 come in off of rattling this year.

southGAlefty

Here he is. I went back through and looked and I actually have a couple pictures of this buck from November. I took him to hortonhunter22 to get a euro mount done and we think he was probably 2.5 or 3.5 max, but I think we'd all agree he needed to go. I'm tickled pink with him either way, he's a unique trophy to me. I bet he was pure heck on a deer in a fight with that dagger. There is a 1.5-2" kicker growing out the back of his right side that you can't see that makes him a 7. It's been another good year!

On another note, anybody in this area in need of some taxidermy work needs to seriously consider Andy (hortonhunter22). He has done my last 2 shoulder mounts and is as good as there is, and a great guy too.

Attachments

• Plantation Trail Cam 2011-2012 003.jpg
    Plantation Trail Cam 2011-2012 003.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 912
  • Plantation Trail Cam 2011-2012 001.jpg
    Plantation Trail Cam 2011-2012 001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 911
  • Jan 7 Buck 016 (2160 x 1620).jpg
    Jan 7 Buck 016 (2160 x 1620).jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 924

Mako22

BANNED
Here he is. I went back through and looked and I actually have a couple pictures of this buck from November. I took him to hortonhunter22 to get a euro mount done and we think he was probably 2.5 or 3.5 max, but I think we'd all agree he needed to go. I'm tickled pink with him either way, he's a unique trophy to me. I bet he was pure heck on a deer in a fight with that dagger. There is a 1.5-2" kicker growing out the back of his right side that you can't see that makes him a 7. It's been another good year!

On another note, anybody in this area in need of some taxidermy work needs to seriously consider Andy (hortonhunter22). He has done my last 2 shoulder mounts and is as good as there is, and a great guy too.

Nice deer you get a weight? He looks to be a good sized deer.

Tailfeather

Deer sightings have really slowed for us lately in south Grady. But more importantly, seeing lots of turkeys. Had a group of 13 longbeards gobble on the ground the other morning.:)

maxwell42583

Deer sightings have really slowed for us lately in south Grady. But more importantly, seeing lots of turkeys. Had a group of 13 longbeards gobble on the ground the other morning.:)

It almost sounds like the same hunt I had the other day. had 5 toms sparring, strutting, and gobbling like crazy. My Leon county and Gadsen County buddies all heard turkeys gobbling too. We kinda think that the may be starting to breed due to the extremly warm weather. Turkeys love dry, warm weather so the turkey crop should boom this year.
:cool:

Tailfeather

I've seen a lot of deer in the middle of the day over the last week or so. Between Bainbridge and the lake....of course I was working and not hunting. lol

maxwell42583

Well guys, it looks like they may have stopped rutting on my place. I had two does eating in my patch at 5:15pm yesterday. A nice 8 point walked in and the does walked away. The 8 point stayed and fed in one spot for 30 minutes. His tarsal glands were dark but not dripping wet dark or anything. His neck wasnt very swelled and he acted very calm. He finally left and a lonesome doe came out right afterwards in the field to my right. I waited 15 minutes and shot her around 6:00pm. My scale says that she was 133 pounds. Biggest doe I have ever taken. Heck, I have never seen one that big down here. Before you say anything, no she wasnt pregnant, I checked. I almost pegged a huge buck with my truck on the way home around 10:00pm. Looks like the moon is still screwing us hunters. Maybe this weekend will bring a good buck.

mrnow

Today in Grady

Had a guest up and he killed a 120 lb one antler spike this morning. Only deer we saw, came out at 8:45 a.m.. We'll work it hard this weekend. Really would like take a big one. Good luck to all.

southGAlefty

Had a guest up and he killed a 120 lb one antler spike this morning. Only deer we saw, came out at 8:45 a.m.. We'll work it hard this weekend. Really would like take a big one. Good luck to all.
This weekend ought to be as good as its gonna get. Cold weather and a late peaking rut means you should be golden. Good luck everybody and finish strong!

mrnow

Saturday morning

Went out this morning and figured it was the day. No wind to speak of and cold. Didn't see a thing. We'll see what happens this evening.

Tailfeather

Had a smallish 8 pt bird dogging a doe yesterday (Sat) morning south of cairo. Ended up killing a nice doe later. That may be it for me.

mrnow

All in all done

Well boys were headed back south. Had a lot of fun this year and killed a few. You all be safe and have a great year. Mr Now

southGAlefty

Yep, had a ball but glad to see it come to a close. Got a lot of stuff to do around the new house and not to mention getting ready for the turkey-birds in March. Can't wait to saddle up and do it again come September if the good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise...too far. Enjoyed it guys!

maxwell42583

Shot a couple of does and watched small bucks chase this weekend. Game cameras still show them rutting too. Sad to see it over but glad that I can finally clean my truck out and hang out with my wife again! We are having a little girl in March so turkey aint lookin so good for me! Yall hav a blast and be safe!