Handgun Optic Familiarization Course... GRADUATION!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
After nearly 1K rounds of 9mm, another 1k of .22 LR, and a whole bunch of non-firing "sighting" practice, I am graduating myself from my own training course in the use of carry gun optic sights.

I am at the point of feeling "better" with an optic than without.

It's a plain fact that my shooting is improved from when I began my training.

It's a plain fact that pistol optics are the real deal, and a near miracle for aging eyes.

I am equally happy with the G19MOS, or the P320. I have found (not surprisingly) that I prefer carrying the Glock. I have also found (surprisingly) that I prefer shooting the Sig.

Carrying an optics equipped pistol has created ZERO issues that make them any different than a slick-top. I do not even notice the optics. No hanging, banging, poking, gouging or dragging in any way. This from an OWB 4 o'clock perspective.

Now, I am not swearing off non-optic pistols by any means, but I am glad I started this project, and will probably be carrying optics pistols most of the time from here on.

My advice to anyone interested in, or on the fence about these new toys is to just jump on in and give them a try.

Dub

Well done, Railroader.

You went through a well defined & patient way to acclimate to the ? (y)(y)

Robust Redhorse

If that is what works the best for you, then good for you and keep with it.

With my 55+ year-old eyes, I was never able to get the speed that I wanted with optics. (I did not try every optic available, but I did use 3 different types).

I was never able to achieve the speed/accuracy that I wanted by doing anything other that focusing on the front sight (.22 LR, 9mm and .45 ACP), aligning the rear sight, and letting the target be blurry.

But, hey, I'm open to trying it again with the newest and highest quality optics!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
How bright do you keep the dot?

The Trijicon on the G19 is fiber optic and tritium. It is always on, lasts 25 years, and is always appropriately bright.

The Romeo1 Pro on the Sig does not self adjust, and I have not found a one size fits all setting. I have found that a little dim is preferable to being a little too bright, so I am keeping it in the bottom half of the selection range.

One notch either way will make it "right"...

Reactions: Dub

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
If that is what works the best for you, then good for you and keep with it.

With my 55+ year-old eyes, I was never able to get the speed that I wanted with optics. (I did not try every optic available, but I did use 3 different types).

I was never able to achieve the speed/accuracy that I wanted by doing anything other that focusing on the front sight (.22 LR, 9mm and .45 ACP), aligning the rear sight, and letting the target be blurry.

But, hey, I'm open to trying it again with the newest and highest quality optics!

I was in the same boat, based on 30 years of training and practice...

Until I was UNABLE to focus the front sights anymore... ?

The only front sight far enough away for me to still see sits on my old Hawken rifle... ?

Now, even without optics, or any sights for that matter, I can still fill up a torso at 10-12 yards, but I was looking to do a little better, if new technology made that possible.

Now, I will admit that it took me quite a lot of "gun handling" to wrap my old head around the idea of focusing on the target, and allowing the dot to just "be there". For a while I was looking for the dot as I was trained to do the front sight, and "time to target" was not so good.

I was firmly against hanging some doo-dad on my carry guns, and if I COULD still see a front sight, we would not be having this conversation.. ?

The Old Dog had to learn a new trick, and it's a good one...

Jester896

Senior Clown
yep..these 60+ eyes find it pretty nice...but... I only have 1 with optics. If you work it out like Railroader did and with an open mind it works pretty good.

transfixer

Congrats Railroader ! based on your experience I'll likely go ahead and try the same thing, I'll probably pick up another p365 optic ready and start shooting it and see if I can get comfortable with it, I know my eyes aren't going to get better thats for sure ! and I know there are some very small red dots available now that hopefully won't add much to the profile , as I carry IWB appendix most of the time now, unless I'm in the woods

Anything that helps us stay lethal as we get older is a good thing !

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Congrats Railroader ! based on your experience I'll likely go ahead and try the same thing, I'll probably pick up another p365 optic ready and start shooting it and see if I can get comfortable with it, I know my eyes aren't going to get better thats for sure ! and I know there are some very small red dots available now that hopefully won't add much to the profile , as I carry IWB appendix most of the time now, unless I'm in the woods

Anything that helps us stay lethal as we get older is a good thing !

I've got a Best Brother who is a bit older than me who has been kicking around the idea of a P365, and also carry optics...

We have talked quite a lot this past month, and he is "pulling the trigger" on a Sig Package 365/Romeo Zero, after a shooting buddy of his let him try one out..

frankwright

Yep, The dot is the wave of the future.
At my last IDPA match I was 15th out of 42 shooters.
I am 75, could stand to lose a few pounds and have worn glasses since I was in grade school.
Most of the shooters were way younger than me but the dot allowed me to get on target faster and be accurate.
23 out of 42 were also shooting a Red Dot!