Hardest kicking Deer Rifles !

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I bought a Marlin 336C 30-30 from the Navy ship store in Bainbridge MD. in 1960 for 60 bucks, brand new. Being in the Navy and away from home for four years I didn't get to use it until about 1965 or so. But my Dad borrowed it and killed a buck in central Fl. and said he didn't want to shoot that thing again. An Uncle borrowed it once, brought it back to my Dads house and said he didn't want to shoot it again. First time I fired it, I knew why. That's when I bought a rubber boot to go on the stock. Now it's not so bad, and I've killed several bucks with it in the late 60's. And haven't used it since. I began using 30-06 rifles.

I have a good friend that now lives in Pennsylvania. He is a Savage rifle nut and owns probably 30-40 Savage bolt rifles. Many of them have been re-barrelled and chambered for various vintage belted magnum cartridges. He actually whitetail deer hunts with a Savage 110 in .416 Taylor. I don't know why. At the range several years ago he insisted that I shoot a magazine full (3 rds.). I did it once. 3 rounds.....ONCE. 400 grain bullet, 95grains of IMR4350 powder. (a 30-06 uses about 53grains powder). I'm speechless.

furtaker

I have a good friend that now lives in Pennsylvania. He is a Savage rifle nut and owns probably 30-40 Savage bolt rifles. Many of them have been re-barrelled and chambered for various vintage belted magnum cartridges. He actually whitetail deer hunts with a Savage 110 in .416 Taylor. I don't know why. At the range several years ago he insisted that I shoot a magazine full (3 rds.). I did it once. 3 rounds.....ONCE. 400 grain bullet, 95grains of IMR4350 powder. (a 30-06 uses about 53grains powder). I'm speechless.
Does he think it takes something like that to kill a deer or is he just a sucker for punishment?

mwood1985

I bought a Marlin 336C 30-30 from the Navy ship store in Bainbridge MD. in 1960 for 60 bucks, brand new. Being in the Navy and away from home for four years I didn't get to use it until about 1965 or so. But my Dad borrowed it and killed a buck in central Fl. and said he didn't want to shoot that thing again. An Uncle borrowed it once, brought it back to my Dads house and said he didn't want to shoot it again. First time I fired it, I knew why. That's when I bought a rubber boot to go on the stock. Now it's not so bad, and I've killed several bucks with it in the late 60's. And haven't used it since. I began using 30-06 rifles.
A 30-30 isn't known to kick hard. One of my favorite rifles is my Glenfield 30. Basically a 5 shot Marlin 336 lightweight little thing. My 9 year old girl loves shooting it more than her .243