Hardest kicking Deer Rifles !

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
A pump Remington does not kick. My go-to deer rifle is a 760 in 30-06. My 2nd favorite is my .444

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
A pump Remington does not kick. My go-to deer rifle is a 760 in 30-06. My 2nd favorite is my .444
I shot the 06 also. I don’t know what it was about the 308. But it smarted a little.
My wife has the 742 in 06 and it’s a great rifle.
My dad got that short 308 back in the 70 or 80. He wanted a 270. Traded his 35 marlin for it.
Sorry if it sounded like I was complaining. It just had a above average kick and figured I’d start a little thread.
Shooting at deer dog hunting was fun. Sitting at a table shooting a few times .... well anyway.
Y’all enjoy the up coming season.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yea when he got that thing. We where just being to be teenagers. :rofl:
We where at a public rifle range. Lady shooting a 7 mag. Hitting a plate but her husband wanted her to shoot bullseyes. After about 15 rounds her hitting a plate at 100 a shell didn’t go in. When she snapped it she jerked a little.
I made the mistake of saying Ma’am u jerked a little. Oh boy her husband when cra cra on that. U will shoot this 20 more time till it groups in a tight group.
130 pound lady. I sed right then I’ll never say another word about that to other folks at a range involving a woman. My wife looked at me like wow. He’s torching her. We where sighted in and we left.

Stroker

Two 700's, one in .270, the other 8 mm mag. I was glad when the .270 got stolen. Bought the 8 mm and five boxes of ammo, sold it 6-7 years later with three and half boxes of ammo.

huntfish

The only rifle I ever fired that I would call painful was a buddy's Remington 700 in .458 Win Mag.

500 grain solids. Nasty.

But if I was in Africa, I'd deal with it without whining.

:bounce:
Most definitely and why it should be shot off sticks! I asked an old PH about shooting his 600 Nitro side by side. He had only shot it twice.

"There is no pain when compared to the claws and teeth of a Leopard"

dang

DANG !!!
Model 70 in 30-06... It ain't the recoil so much as the hard plastic buttplate. Hits my shoulder like it's angry with me, though I have never noticed it while hunting.

I ain't recoil-shy, but I don't know how some folks are messing around with lightweight 300 win mags...
I got a model 700 in 30-06 but it’s the lightweight mountain version. It’s jumpy…I’ve split my eyebrow twice with it shooting deer at awkward angles twisted up and behind the weak side not bracing it up tight. Kills em stone dead with 180 grains tho :bounce:

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I got a model 700 in 30-06 but it’s the lightweight mountain version. It’s jumpy…I’ve split my eyebrow twice with it shooting deer at awkward angles twisted up and behind the weak side not bracing it up tight. Kills em stone dead with 180 grains tho :bounce:
Seems like a fair trade-off for a dead deer. Blood for blood and whatnot.

mwood1985

A Ruger M77 compact stainless in synthetic pencil barrel 7mm-08 is the worst kicking rifle I've ever shot. I've had 300 win and wsm's that didn't kick as hard. The stock is a youth size type stock and for adults it is rough to say the least.
I shot one in .243. That thing for the round has a smart recoil to it

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
As I suspected, my 300 weatherby actually has more recoil than my 45/70, but the 45/70 has a horse shoe on the butt of the stock.

Mine has to be 300 weatherby mark 5, thought it would be a cool gun to deer hunt with, got tired of shooting it after a couple shots. Would peel the skin back of your shoulder and leave a giant bruise couple days later. It’s for sale now only beem shot 15 x max if you know anyone looking

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Old model 70 ranger in 30-06. It was a slobber knocker

earlthegoat2

You don't hear about an 8mm rem mag much anymore. Beast of a cartridge

It’s offspring were a bit more practical from a reloading and shooting perspective even if ammo may be harder to find.

358 STA
7mm STW

Both also beasts in their own right. Still, put more to the back burner because of their belted case size n these modern times.

SC Hunter

I shot one in .243. That thing for the round has a smart recoil to it
My buddy got that rifle in 6th or 7th grade for having all A's at the end of the year. His step daddy said that is an amazing feat for somebody like you boy and bought him his own gun. Hahaha he swears that the rifle hasn't always kicked that hard. It's always been one of the loudest non ported guns in the woods as well. To be a "youth caliber" that 7mm-08 is absolutely horrendous while my 7mm-08's don't seem to kick anywhere near as bad. That little light rifle carries good but I wouldn't own one.

Aaronhig

Ruger M77 7mm REM Mag and Mossberg 835 with 3.5in shells. Love them both but no lazy days at the range with either.

Buckstop

My buddy got that rifle in 6th or 7th grade for having all A's at the end of the year. His step daddy said that is an amazing feat for somebody like you boy and bought him his own gun. Hahaha he swears that the rifle hasn't always kicked that hard. It's always been one of the loudest non ported guns in the woods as well. To be a "youth caliber" that 7mm-08 is absolutely horrendous while my 7mm-08's don't seem to kick anywhere near as bad. That little light rifle carries good but I wouldn't own one.

Had a 7-08 Rem 700 mountain rifle in the mid nineties. With the short, pencil barrel. Had a enough kick to give me a built in flinch just shooting to zero it. Looking back, I'm sure I just over-heated the thin barrel at the range to the point of slinging them and then shot too many chasing the ghost. Between that and the gun being so light and whippy, just wasn't for me. Went heavier and was never really bothered by recoil again, short of 3.5" shot loads. Not owned a rifle under 7 lbs un-scoped since.

Last edited:

snooker1

Marlin 35 cal, 200 gr bullet kicks like a mule, or at least mine does with only the stock butt plate. But I love this gun so I will suck it up and carry it hunting.

benellisbe

For me, my 300 WBY is by far the worst. I own a .375 H&H Mag that is nothing compared to that 300 WBY. That 300 WBY is such a sharp fast recoil that after 15 or so shots I am done. A 3.5" 12 GA round can be brutal, but it is a different kind of recoil. Same with a .470NE, more of a big shove to me instead of that sharp type recoil.