Hardest kicking Deer Rifles !

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
My single barrel turkey gun is the hardest kicking gun I`ve ever shot, bar none. My 270 kicks less than a 223.

Deerhead

My 270 wsm kicks pretty hard. It has even drew my blood. The top of my nose meet the scope. Still have the scar :>. But since I now shoot lighter loads 140gn its manageable. My old Remington 308 is tame. The recoil is light and looking to load up some lighter loads in the near future. Just bought a 30-06 and starting to work up some loads. Starting with 150 gn but looking to shoot something lighter for deer. This one has a muzzle break so hoping it’s pleasant to shoot.

earlthegoat2

I had an Ithaca 87 (Kings Ferry version of the 37) Featherweight fixed barrel rifled slug gun that I shot 3” Winchester Partition Golds from and that would light you up pretty good from a bench rest.

As far as conventional deer rifles go my Ruger American Ranch 450 Bushmaster is under 6 lbs scopes and loaded. It is still not as bad as the Ithaca. My 8lb 444 Marlin is about as bad as the 450.

Worst ever was my old 12 ga Rossi Tuffy Turkey gun. 5 lbs loaded. 3 1/2” Turkey load would smack so hard it felt like the concussion from being nearby when firing off a howitzer…plus your shoulder was sore.

I had a wadded up t shirt as padding and it was still unbearable. I tried 3” shells and they were nearly as bad. I figured if I was going to use 2 3/4” shells in a 3 1/2” gun then I might as well use 3” in my 20 ga. So I did that and have never picked up a 12 ga (fixed ammunition) since.

huntfish

I always get a kick out of folks attempting to shoot big bore rifles on the bench at ranges. If you want to shoot the big bores (338+), take it off the bench and shoot standing and off sticks. Let the body recoil back to absorb some of that punishment you requested.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I always get a kick out of folks attempting to shoot big bore rifles on the bench at ranges. If you want to shoot the big bores (338+), take it off the bench and shoot standing and off sticks. Let the body recoil back to absorb some of that punishment you requested.
Some guns it just don't matter...

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
It’s between the REM. 700 in 7 mag. The marlin .450 or my 30-06 jam master. The 30-06 with 180 grain projectile is pretty rough on me. The 450 is more of a hard push than a sharp kick like the 06.
All pale in comparison to a single shot 12 with a 3.5 inch shell. I refuse to shoot them again.

aabradley82

They all kick a title off the bench. Only been kicked once on fur, a 9.3x62 can get a little rough in a light gun. Shoulder has been tenderized plenty on a good dove field

Ace1313

My model 70 in 7mm WSM. I shoot a heavier load 160gr as it is really the only bullet that has the consistent accuracy. I bought it for hunting AG fields and powerlines. It has a trigger job on it which helps keep you for worrying about the "break of the shot", it will still let you know you have fired downrange.

Handgunner 45-70

I have a H&R 45-70 single shot that will hurt you, I even put a decelerator pad on it and still get the snot kicked out of me. A buddy of mine tried it once and said never again.

kingfish

Ithaca 10 ga. My go to for super thick areas. When I'm dialed in on game, the kick doesn't exist. When I sighted it in, my fillings came loose.

wvdawg

Staff member
My old 30-40 Krag kicks like a mule!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
A pump Remington does not kick. My go-to deer rifle is a 760 in 30-06. My 2nd favorite is my .444