Hardest kicking Deer Rifles !

Jimmypop

My first deer rifle was a Remington Mohawk 308. I paid $170 for it. It had a 18.5 in. barrel and weighed 5.5 lbs. Someone told me that deer were hard to kill and that I should use 180 gr. bullets. That was in 1979. My shoulder is still sore and ears still ringing. It flat out killed deer though.

Big7

The Oracle
My first deer rifle was a Remington Mohawk 308. I paid $170 for it. It had a 18.5 in. barrel and weighed 5.5 lbs. Someone told me that deer were hard to kill and that I should use 180 gr. bullets. That was in 1979. My shoulder is still sore and ears still ringing. It flat out killed deer though.
My late Daddy's vintage 1932 Mosin Nagant kicks pretty good. I still have it and it will go to my nephews.

His was bought with a decent "sporterization" and bbl cut to around 20 onches but didn't have a recoil pad until he got a little older. Steel butt plates hurt.

Let's just say that rifle taught this 10 y/o boy how to handle recoil and shoot any trigger. :)

tcward

Marlin 45-70. Got it on a trade years ago. Shot it about 4 times and out it went on a trade again…

Big7

The Oracle
Two 700's, one in .270, the other 8 mm mag. I was glad when the .270 got stolen. Bought the 8 mm and five boxes of ammo, sold it 6-7 years later with three and half boxes of ammo.
I always wanted an 8 Rem. Mag but have never seen one except in gun magazines.

Another powerful and efficient cartridge that never got traction in the United States.

Timberman

Browning A Bolt 7mm mag with plastic butt plate. It hammered you

I had an older tikka t3 in 300wsm that kicked pretty hard. Most painful was probably a remington 700 adl 7mm rem mag with a synthetic stock.

furtaker

I bet that rifle chambered in 350RM was a lot of fun.

ucfireman

I bought a Stoeger M3000 (I think) semi auto. Shooting 3 inch in it has a bigger kick than I like. 2.75 are fine but it doesn't cycle those yet.
Manual says to shoot about 100 round of 3 inch to soften the spring and it will cycle the 2.75. I haven't shot it enough to see.

Had a Savage 110 30-06 kicked too much for me, sold it.
Nothing else I own kick bad.

Slingshot1985

Ruger m77 skeleton stock 300 win mag. my buddy go one years ago and wanted help to sight it in. We got it sighted in and like "tough teenagers" we wanted to see who could shoot it the most. we ended up shooting it 6 times a piece and called it a tie. the lines on the recoil pad drew blood on both of us. I had a savage 300 mag that was a close second but that ruger would knock you silly.

rattlesnake1

I always wanted an 8 Rem. Mag but have never seen one except in gun magazines.

Another powerful and efficient cartridge that never got traction in the United States.
I have one , it doesn't kick anymore than a shotgun does.
one of the best shooting rifles i have ever owned.

Big7

The Oracle
I have one , it doesn't kick anymore than a shotgun does.
one of the best shooting rifles i have ever owned.
Ballistic twin to the 300 Weatherby Mag but I like the weird stuff. I guess it would kick a little less than the 300 because it's technically not quite as bottle necked and has virtually the same case capacity.

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
3.5' 12 GA has more recoil than Win Mag 458!
I shot a whole box at ducks one day out of a borrowed benelli nova. I gave that joker back quick. Had a bruise on my shoulder the next day.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
An old 700 in 30.06, plastic butt stock.

Next is a Mossberg 500 with a rifled slug barrel. Had some Winchester reduced recoil slugs and it shot great at 100 yards. Then I got a "deal" on some sabot slugs, those things kicked the snot out of you, only shot it twice, my God, jaw swole up. Oldest son was talking trash to me, told him to shoot it, he did and once was enough.
My dad picked up a 700 in 30.06. I shot it 5-6 times trying to zero it in. Got it close enough and was done. My ruger boat paddle in 30.06 will boot you to. I sure have killed a pile of deer with it though

Savage M110 synthetic in .300 RUM.
Isn’t as bad now that I cut the stock 1-1/4” and added a 1” KickEze” fitted recoil pad.
Same with a Ruger M77 .375 Hawkeye African. It wears an “Old English” Pachymer Decelerator in dark Red that looks like it grew there. It kicks less than the RUM. NEITHER though as bad as a REM 870 Police Spl (20” rifle sight barrel) with Breneke 1-1/4 Black Magic slugs!
547gr full bore 12ga slug at 1,500fps!
Yes! Kicks more than a .458 Lott!

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
They are building me a 45 XML as I type this.
You will love it, the one be shot was mine, it’s unreal. I’m dead on believe it or not out to 650 lol . The best part is when you shoot, you can see and not have a cloud of smoke in your face! You will be amazed it’s almost cheating in a way lol.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
You will love it, the one be shot was mine, it’s unreal. I’m dead on believe it or not out to 650 lol . The best part is when you shoot, you can see and not have a cloud of smoke in your face! You will be amazed it’s almost cheating in a way lol.

I won`t go as far as to say it`s cheating, but it surely takes away from the spirit of the true muzzleloading rifles.