Heaven and Free Will

dexrusjak

Questions for those who believe in Heaven...

Will there be free will in Heaven? In other words, will people in Heaven be able to choose to sin if they are so inclined?

If so, then what will their punishment for this sin be? Will they be cast out of Heaven like Satan?

If not, then aren't people in Heaven just robots? I've heard the argument many times that God gives us the gift of free will here on Earth because having free will is preferable to not having free will. If this is the case, and Heaven is a better place than Earth, it would make no since for people in Heaven to not have free will.

I've heard the claim that people in Heaven will have free will but will be so busy praising God that they will never choose to sin (although they could). In my opinion, that's not free will at all. It's an allusion of free will.

What are your thoughts?

rjcruiser

Heaven will be the ultimate in perfection. Sin is brought about by imperfection. Therefore, sin cannot and will not exist in Heaven.

Artfuldodger

I can only hope to have free will in Heaven. I would hate to live an eternity with an itinerary; 9:00am enjoy the fountains, 10:00am enjoy the gardens, 11:00am listen to the chour sing, etc. Although I know it's better than the alternative. Maybe we could have free will in Heaven without sin as an option.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
To heck with free will, I am hoping heaven has a thousand yard range, an armory, and free ammo.

TheBishop

To heck with free will, I am hoping heaven has a thousand yard range, an armory, and free ammo.

No I have seen heaven in a dream. It is an endless spring morning, and the top water bite is infinite.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
No I have seen heaven in a dream. It is an endless spring morning, and the top water bite is infinite.

Keep your head down, I have no problem if I have to shoot a thousand yards over a lake!

TheBishop

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
At the judgment there will be a "new" heaven. No sin, no unhappiness, nothing negative.
I don't know about the fishing, but I'm hopeful.

StriperAddict

Randy Alcorn writes some interesting books & articles on Heaven. He thinks we will have free will in our human bodies while in Heaven.

http://www.epm.org/resources/2010/Feb/1/will-we-have-opportunity-sin-heaven/

In this link he describes Heaven:
http://www.epm.org/resources/2010/Feb/4/light-eternity-59-excerpts/

X2 on Randy's books. You may not agree on everything but he gives you reason to consider heaven's greatness.

Looks like a good 2nd link on his thoughts, too.

StriperAddict

I thought this was an excellent quote from the link:

To derail us, all Satan needs to do is minimize our passion for two
things—the person of God and the place of God.
A. W. Tozer said, Let no one apologize for the powerful emphasis Christianity lays

upon the doctrine of the world to come. Right there lies its

immense superiority to everything else within the whole sphere

of human thought or experience....We do well to think of the

long tomorrow.

The greatest weakness of the western church today is arguable our
failure to think of the long tomorrow—to take seriously the reality
that Heaven is our home. Out of this springs our love affair with this
world and our failure to live now in light of eternity.

Michael F. Gray

This corrupt flesh will be replaced with an incorruptable body like as Jesus had, before we get to Heaven. We will be changed in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, the Trump of God shall sound, and the dead in Christ shall rise first, then we which are alive shall meet him in the air.

dexrusjak

At the judgment there will be a "new" heaven. No sin, no unhappiness, nothing negative.

This brings another question to mind...if there is no unhappiness in Heaven, will those of you who make it know about the pain and torture those of us in He11 are enduring? Will a mother in Heaven feel no sympathy for her son who is in He11? Does she not know of his suffering? Is his memory forever erased from her mind? If so, she's not really herself anymore, is she? In fact, if she knows of his suffering but feels no sadness and sorrow, then she is not her true self. She can't be.

Based on replies thus far (and those of the Christians in the thread linked above), it seems as if Heaven is a place in which people's minds are programmed for a certain, artificial way of thinking and bodies are not free to act as they wish. Doesn't sound very "Heavenly" to me.

Artfuldodger

This brings another question to mind...if there is no unhappiness in Heaven, will those of you who make it know about the pain and torture those of us in He11 are enduring? Will a mother in Heaven feel no sympathy for her son who is in He11? Does she not know of his suffering? Is his memory forever erased from her mind? If so, she's not really herself anymore, is she? In fact, if she knows of his suffering but feels no sadness and sorrow, then she is not her true self. She can't be.

Based on replies thus far (and those of the Christians in the thread linked above), it seems as if Heaven is a place in which people's minds are programmed for a certain, artificial way of thinking and bodies are not free to act as they wish. Doesn't sound very "Heavenly" to me.
By the time you get to Heaven the game of life will be over. You will be free to choose your daily activities in Heaven like on a cruise ship. Your mind will be set free of negative thoughts. You will not suffer from PTSD.
Now the question would be, do you have free will in He11?

ambush80

::;

There is fishing in Heaven except the fish feels no pain nor fear for it's life.

hobbs27

Based on replies thus far (and those of the Christians in the thread linked above), it seems as if Heaven is a place in which people's minds are programmed for a certain, artificial way of thinking and bodies are not free to act as they wish.

Salvation is being born into Gods kingdom, hence Born again. Those that have not been born again and cast into - he11 will not be known by us, for they were never born.I have one earthly brother and no sisters...I can't tell you about my sister I never knew her because she was never born.
However those that find their way to he11 will be able to look up and see us all praising and worshipping our God, we will be the only people they will see, as he11 is a lonely place.
You may not think that's a fair deal, but what else could God do, He's already given his son up for sacrifice? It's our choice!

Latest posts