How did ya find woody’s?

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
I was web searching something about the Pope and found a post from @[B][I]crackerdave who was "Rangerdave" [/I][/B]at the time so I joined so we could have a spirited discussion about the Pope.
:waggingfinger: Nope, 2 different ppl, Rangerdave was an actual Game Warden, I've been in the presence of both of them at the same time, both stand up gentlemen!!:cheers:

Keebs

Miss Moderator Ma Hen
Staff member
Oh, I found Woody's in 2008, not long after I lost my Daddy, was actually looking up history on Crystal Lake and found this place, lurked, read & knew I had found a great place to be!! Gotten more through losing my Mama and other close ones and has made me laugh out loud while working at the office and got a look or two, but made for a much better day!:lovey:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Best I can remember, I found it through a guy I was on the old Paleo Planet forum with, who used to post a lot about flintknapping in the Primitive Skills forum here. After I got to looking around the rest of the forum, I settled in.

DAVE

I was just learning to use a computer and was searching for a hunting club in 2001 when I came across Woody's. I had never even heard of a forum and had no interest in joining one but Woody's had a hunting lease section but you had to be registered member to use it so I signed up and before I knew it I had become addicted to Woody's. My user name was DSL and I was a regular user until the crash, after the crash you didn't need to be registered to use the hunting lease section and so I did not sign back up until 2006, 22 quick years later still using. Thank you Woody.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Like most, I was searching for something either hunting or gun related and up popped a Woody's thread on the subject. It was a good thread and I learned what I needed to know.

Being a discerning fellow, I figured that if that bit of info was on Woody's there were probably other bits there that might also prove useful. I lurked for some time, fount that I had figured correctly and joining up, a big move for me because I am not a joiner. I support some organizations but the only other one I am a member of is the VFW.

I have not only found lots of useful information, I have had my faith restored at least to a degree in people. I had begun to think that all the good folks had died out but I have found a bunch of them here. This is my only social media site.

Hoss

I stumbled on to Woody’s looking at outdoor forums and photography. Don’t recall the exact year 01 or 02. It was back when you could go through and read every thread and new post in an hour or so. There was a member by the name of Ronnie Addis who took so really nice photos that got me interested in hanging around. I was in and out a bit the first couple of years, but then became more regular and I was asked to be a moderator for the photography forum. Worked the backroom with a great bunch for several years until work got too busy and I didn’t have time to pull my weight in moderating so I asked to be put back in the general population. I used to take a lot of photos and post em, but work really took up a lot of my time so I became a lot less active. Being retired, I am working on getting more active both in the forums and in taking photos and sharing them. Don’t always get great photos, but enjoy sharing my views of the world so others can see some sights they might not see.
GON forum (Will always be Woody”s to me) has been a great place with lots of really great folks willing to share their knowledge with others.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
I started reading lots of posts here that I had found through Google. Figured I might as well join so I could post and get to know some folks. There's some mighty fine folks on here.

DSGB

I joined the Realtree forum around 2000-2001 while going to tech school. Another member there (Dan "The Toolman" Smith - RIP) told me about this Georgia based forum, so I joined up and been here ever since.

Last edited:

DannyW

I was a member of the forum that preceded Woody's in the late 1990's. As someone else has said, it became "unstable", mostly over a word war between in-line and caplock muzzleloaders. Or was it crossbows vs compounds? Been so long ago I have forgotten.

Whichever it was, I drifted away and joined a forum called HuntAmerica. Soon after I became the moderator for the Archery forum. It was a thriving forum in the early days featuring many diverse members such Shaq O'Neil, Chic Worthing and Hank Jr.

It also had Jack Belk as a member. For those who do not know, Jack was the president of the American Custom Gunmaker's Guild, and was one of the central figures on the 60 Minutes report on the Remington 700 trigger controversy.

Much like the in-line vs caplock wars at the late 1990's Woody's site, this trigger issue splintered the HuntAmerica forum in the same way. About half the members left the forum as it circled the drain. Most of those went to a site named Accurate Reloading.

Myself, I drifted back to Woody's in 2007. And here I am now. Only social media site I am active on.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Not sure how H22 found it. He has always subscribed to the magazine. He was a member before the crash. He told me about it in 2010 and thought I would enjoy it. He was right. We've met lot of fine folks on this forum. This is the only one I'm a member of. He is a member of other hunting/fishing forums too.

Big7

The Oracle
:waggingfinger: Nope, 2 different ppl, Rangerdave was an actual Game Warden, I've been in the presence of both of them at the same time, both stand up gentlemen!!:cheers:
Cracker was a Ranger before he retired. I remember that like it was yesterday. :wink:

georgia_home

I came across the magazine. And dreamed of buying some land. There were listings. so i bought the mag for a while then subscribed.

noted the forum site mentioned on the web site for gon which also had the land listings.

signed up when I saw the forum

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Was getting assigned to Ft McPherson, got changed from Korea, while at ANCOC at FLW in 2003. Asked on another forum about GA hunting and fishing and the pointed me here. Met a lot of good frieds on here

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Walked into Woody's shop in Baldwin and while talking to the man he handed me a piece of paper and said check this out when you get a chance. That was sometime in 2001, been here ever since. Got asked to lend a hand in the back around 2010ish and have tried my best not to mess things up too bad. It's not perfect, but it's dang sure better than not having a place like it to get to know likeminded folks.

SarahFair

I reckon I found my way here searching hunting/ fishing in the state of GA.
Loved it immediately.

I've met a few people from here in person, one actually lives a stones throw from me and I get to bump into him a good bit around town...

When facebook pages/groups became a thing I drifted from the forum, but I left Facebook and wondered back here not too long ago..
This is a much better format.

Screen name is a nickname played off my name.

slow motion

Don't remember how I found this place. Just kept up and read for a long while. One day decided I wanted to reply to stuff so I joined. As to the screen name some days I move pretty slow but the rest of the time I move even slower. I've come to love this place and believe if someone doesn't they haven't really given it a fair chance. From everything outdoors to serious q&a to goofing around to your spiritual needs. Something for everybody.