How I bought my hunting land

jigman29

That's awesome. I hope to post a similar story soon. Mine will be a little shorter though. It'll go something like this. Won lottery bought land.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Possum,
I read your comments here and over on the other forum as well. WOW, I enjoyed every updated comment too. You do sound like you've got a slice of heaven for sure and I think that it is GREAT that your family is able to hunt together and enjoy the outdoors in such a way. I grew up in neighboring Lincoln County and I wouldn't take nothing for being able to grow up in that country living environment. That area by being in such close proximity of Clark's Hill Lake made growing up very adventurous and loads of fun.

I am so glad that your dream became a reality and that you have been able to share this information along with some fantastic photos as well with all of us.

GeorgiaGlockMan

Possum,

Congrats. Owning your own chunk of land is very satisfying.

I was in your same place when I bought land almost 15 years ago.

I bought about 250 acres of 7-13 yr old planted pines. A year or so ago I added a 30+/- acre parcel that adjoined my place.

The one thing that I was oblivious to was the value of the pines

Fast forward to today; my place is under contract with a timber company for its first thinning and cut.

If my tree farm nets the same $s from thinning as the surveyor's did earlier this year, it is like free land.

I am on cloud-9.

My suggestion to you would be to keep doing what you're doing. Show the same diligence with the land payments as your past house and truck bills.

Funny, I've made alot of money over the years. Seen it come and go. I've owed no one anything for years at a stretch with the last 10 yrs as my longest debt-free run (if you don't count additional IRS payments at the end of the year).

My land is my sanctuary and without a doubt my only prized possession other than family and friends.

I know it'll never be sold while I am alive and kicking so I don't look at it as a $ investment for me. My kids may decide to sell it someday. I am enjoying being the caretaker for a wonderful memory generating slice of heaven.

Congrats again. You sound like you deserve it (hard work and all - lol).

Broken Tine

Nice work.
Great thread.
Thanks for sharing.

Possum

Banned
A young man messaged me earlier this evening and after replying to him I thought the information we discussed may be helpful to another reader so here is my reply to him...

Thanks! The nice thing about the HELOC is that it doesn't cost you anything (except a few hundred dollars closing fee) until you use it.
So it as long as you can keep from spending it and not using it until the time is right, you'd be fine.
I'd start now watching properties, check every month or so and see what comes available. The deals are gone fast but most land properties stay on the market for months or years. Pick a few target counties that you like. Also you can go to the qpublic website and see what the properties are actually selling for which is really all that matters anyways.
This will give you a good idea of what is a good deal so that when time comes, there is no hesitation.
Once you find out what is available from your heloc, you'll know what your budget is. And then you can do like I did and refi the land on a farm loan if you want.
If the heloc isn't enough to buy a large enough piece it could be used as a down payment for a loan.
I used Ag Ga farm credit. You might want to talk to a loan officer and tell him your goal and he can tell you what you'd qualify for.
Worst case, just keep putting it away and set a 10 year goal to buy a small piece with cash. Improve the land while you hunt it and then sell it for a profit. Take that profit and put it towards another larger property. Keep repeating until you end up with the dream property you want. Taxes are very favorable to land and timber investing and are likely to stay favorable with new administration. Let me know if you ever need any advice. I love telling my story to help others who like me have a dream of owning land.[/QUOTE]

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I too have always dreamed of owning my own hunting property. It's possible that dream may become a reality in a couple of years. Planning to pay off mortgage first & then hopefully will soon have a small chunk of cash for down payment.
What are some good websites to search?

Thanks for your story. It's encouraging!

georgia_home

Good story and good work. Chcked the other forum too. Good detail and pics.