How many Don't hunt over bait, or food plots?

rugerfan

I hunt public land, it is still illegal to bait or plant anything. There are some grass fields and meadows where I hunt, but those are just filled with grasses and weeds.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
99% of my hunting is done back in the woods on acorns and travel funnels, often on public land. I usually plant a food plot on my SC place but rarely hunt it. The deer mostly use food plots at night in the areas I hunt anyway. Very rare to see a deer come out of the woods in shooting hours.

TJay

I can't say I never do it but it's not very often. Last year during the rut I would use some corn mixed with roasted soybeans (I forget what it's called) when the weather was dry. Saw some does and small bucks. I'm not sure it's worth it.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I hunt trails coming from beds. However I do have food plots for kids and guests.

chrislibby88

I do both. No corn, and I have a mineral site on a travel corridor that I don’t hunt over. I can barely see it from one stand, but that stand is for hunting a fence crossing, guess I would shoot something on the minerals if I saw something I liked. I plant plots, and will sometimes hunt them, I often hunt travel areas, pinch points, but I also try to put plots in natural travel areas as well. I hunt a lot of public too.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
It is going to geographically differ. Some places food plots are for night time camera shots, some places are afternoon feeding, some are early morning. I am 50/50 with it on our place. If they are feeding in it, at least they are there. I have a good white oak supply every other year. In the off year, it`s the green fields where we kill.

We only have two feeding stations with "corn" in the center of property.

ssramage

Meh, I'll share my perspective.

99% of my hunting is done with young kids, in box blinds, overlooking a food plot and/or corn. I take a lot of new kids/adults hunting. Do I need them to kill a deer? Nope. But, I use them because it helps increase the experience for these young hunters. On our place, it significantly increases the opportunity of seeing game. Maybe not the shooter bucks, but game in general.

I do still try to take a couple hunts a year where I'm solo and go to new places where I have to figure it all out.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I hunt back in the woods and often overlooking the thickest stuff I can find. If it’s a funnel to acorns or a food plot even better. It’s rare I’m on the edge of a field and never over a pile of corn.

Ace1313

I have killed them on both. I have killed them away from both. The most consistent thing with killing them has been lack of pressure over the spot and having the correct wind. We are hunting and trying to kill a deer, I will do it anyway I can if I want to just kill one.

Taco4x4

I have tried it and don't like it. You run them off going to your stand or a couple of deer come to feed and then decide to just laydown for a while and later get back up and feed some more and all the while I need to take a leak and can't because I don't want to spook them.

I prefer to hunt natural food source. They come by and look for a few fresh fallen acorns or muscadines or persimmons and then go on there way to look else where.
I also get a lot more satisfaction out of finding food sources and deer sign over just sitting on a pile of corn.

earlthegoat2

I dont usually hunt over one. There is one on my property though and there is a stand near it.

It’s not my favorite place to hunt but it is a good spot for a feeder.

scottyd917

I prefer to hunt in hardwoods in funnels and on transition edges. But towards the end of the season I'll sit over a food plot to watch deer.

billy336

My club does corn and we plant plots. I don’t hunt over any of it. I slip hunt or set on the ground away from all that.