How many Swap & Sell regulars have a Concealed Carry Permit?

I am a second term GFL holder and sent an email today.

I will go with RD's advice above and follow up with FAX and USPS Monday.

Bruz... thanks for the reminder.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Everybody remember to hit the phones and Email come Monday morning. I'm heading out of town for a few days to the home of the Kennedy's so someone please keep this bumped to the top while I'm away.

Thanks,

Robert

packrat

Permit

PERMITTED & PACKING
EMAIL SENT

‘‘Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined’’

— Patrick Henry

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’

— Patrick Henry

‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’

, 1764 — Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria

‘‘No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms (within his own lands or tenements).’’

— Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution (with his note added), 1776. Papers 1:353

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

‘‘And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; or to raise standing armies, unless necessary for the defense of the United States, or of some one or more of them; or to prevent the people from petitioning, in a peaceable and orderly manner, the federal legislature, for a redress of grievances; or to subject the people to unreasonable searches and seizures of their persons, papers or possessions.’’

— Samuel Adams, Debates of the Massachusetts Convention of 1788

‘‘[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.’’

— James Madison, Federalist, No. 46.

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

‘‘I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.’’
‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

— James Earl Jones, Actor

‘‘The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest possible limits. ... and [when] the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.’’

— St. George Tucker, Judge of the Virginia Supreme Court 1803

‘‘Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States’’

— Noah Webster, 1888

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’

— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

‘‘In a polity, each citizen is to possess his own arms, which are not supplied or owned by the state.’’

— Aristotle

‘‘The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected peoples to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that the underdog is a sine qua non ["something essential" lit. "without which not"] for the overthrow of any sovereignty. So let's not have any native militia or police.’’

-- Adolph Hitler, Edict of March 18, 1938

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

‘‘...for it is a truth, which the experience of all ages has attested, that the people are commonly most in danger when the means of insuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.’’

— Alexander Hamilton

‘‘A government resting on the minority is an aristocracy, not a Republic, and could not be safe with a numerical and physical force against it, without a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace.’’

— James Madison, The Federalist Papers (No. 46).

‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’

— Justice Robert H. Jackson

‘‘Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.’’

— Unknown

johnr

I have one and I have called and e-mailed Cagle,Williams,Perdue and my Senator.I hope everyone else has too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
I just got back in to Atlanta.......Any news concerning HB89?

Robert

buttplate

Hb89

I don't know any word but I called in my support to the Gov's office.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Hearsay right now is that we are slightly ahead............

Please keep it up..........If they see our interest subside it could go the other way.

Thanks,

Robert

Timberdoodle

done

Handwritten note went out today to Sonny. Plan to email and call as well.
:flag:

frankwright

Many of us with guns have written,called and emailed about this issue and also about every other gun law in the last decade.

Many, like me, just do not post here everytime I do something.

I just don't want you and others to think that because there is not a lot of replies on the Internet that it means nobody is active on issues.

I also believe a lot of gun owners are sitting on their tails letting others work for them.

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Many of us with guns have written,called and emailed about this issue and also about every other gun law in the last decade.

Many, like me, just do not post here everytime I do something.

I just don't want you and others to think that because there is not a lot of replies on the Internet that it means nobody is active on issues.

I also believe a lot of gun owners are sitting on their tails letting others work for them.

Frank,

Thank you. I'm just trying to get the word out to as many folks as possible. The only way I have to gauge if it is working are the posts left here.

Robert

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
did it

boneboy96

did it awhile back!

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Called and Emailed again today.......It's not looking good right now....The calls to veto the bill are piling up from what I hear so please stay on the phones. It will really be a let down to have this legislation vetoed (SP?)

Robert

tas6691

Am a carry permit holder, as well as a Ga carry . org member, and have been emailing since all this started. If you live in Georgia and care about your firearms rights, go to georgiacarry.org and join. Also check out georgiapacking.org

Bruz

Gone but not forgotten
Marta is actively seeking to have Governor Perdue veto HB89. Please continue to call the Governor and even MARTA to voice your support of this legislation.

Methods To Use

Web Form E-Mail: http://gov.georgia.gov/00/gov/contac...820188,00.html

Snail Mail (USPS):
The Office of the Governor
State of Georgia
203 State Capitol
Atlanta, Georgia 30334

Phone:
404-656-1776

Fax:
404-657-7332

A CALL FOR ACTION!

The General Assembly passed House Bill 89, which authorizes the carrying of concealed firearms on public transit, in restaurants that serve alcohol, all parks, allows for firearms to be located anywhere in a vehicle, arms constables in courthouses, shortens the timeframe for Probate Judges to issue concealed weapons permits, and removes prohibitions on allowing firearms in employee parking lots unless the employer specifically objects. The final version of HB 89 has the effect of authorizing concealed carry permit holders to defend others in public places.

HB 89 awaits the signature of the Governor. MARTA has been working in conjunction with other concerned organizations on some activities which we hope will persuade Governor Perdue to VETO HB 89.

The Governor's VETO is the only way to stop this legislation

Please act TODAY and help urge the Governor to VETO HB 89 by:

Call the Governor's Office at 404/656-1776. Tell the person who answers that you are calling to ask the Governor to veto HB 89. Ask if the person taking the message wants your name and phone number. If you are a member of an organization which opposes the bill, let them know that.
Forward this notification to: -- friends, church members, and organizations you belong to. Ask them to call the Governor’s Office (404 656-1776) as well. There are many other cities in Georgia that have public transit -- bus service. Encourage your contacts to call from outside the metro Atlanta area.
Write a letter from your organization requesting a veto of HB 89. Key points are below.
Get your organization to sign on to a letter that other organizations are preparing in opposition of HB 89.
Write articles or letters to the editor in local publications -- neighborhood newspapers, church bulletins, organization newsletters, etc. (Editorials are coming out in newspapers across the state in opposition to the bill.)

Key Points:

Impact on Public Transit and the Environment

Public transit is a priceless asset to any community. Guns on buses and trains in the hands of anyone but law enforcement is a safety and security issue.
Law enforcement officers are trained to assess the risk of firing their service weapon on a bus or train. Anyone else with a gun, even with good intentions, could likely injure or even kill innocent passengers.
If an operator is injured, the safety of all of the passengers is jeopardized. In the case of a bus operator, other motorists and pedestrians would be at serious risk. Buses travel the busiest thoroughfares in every community that provides them.
Buses and trains travel to busy and popular destinations -- Six Flags, the Georgia World Congress Center, shopping malls, Underground, the Airport. People travel on public transit to Falcons and Braves games, and to Phillips Arena to see the Hawks and the Thrashers. These events sell large quantities of alcohol. This is a recipe for tragedy.
How will the additional costs of security on buses and trains impact already cash strapped public transit systems?
Guns on buses and trains will discourage ridership. Reduced ridership will increase traffic gridlock and further reduce air quality.
Impact on the Legislative Process

The public transit and restaurant portions of HB 89 never went through the committee process in either the Senate or the House. There was no public comment, no testimony, and no open discussion of the merits of the language or opportunity for committee members with issue expertise to consider the consequences of the language. The language was a part of HB 915 which never had a hearing in any committee.
The authors of two resolutions to create comprehensive firearms study committees in the Senate and the House (SR 819 and HR 1305) pledged to look carefully and objectively at all Georgia firearms statutes and that all points of view would be considered. The study committees were supported by Georgians for Gun Safety in an effort to create a rational discussion. HB 89 contradicts that more prudent course.

For more information or questions please feel free to call:

MARTA Office of Government and Community Relations

Governmental Affairs Team

Rhonda Briggins

404-848-5736

rbriggins@itsmarta.com

or

Scott Haggard

404-848-5177

sahaggard@itsmarta.com