Hunter Decline

buckpasser

Imagine if individuals put the effort into waterfowl management that they do into deer. Everyone is quick to blame dnr for not managing public, but there always other options.
Of course there has to be participants to do so.

Part of the decline in good public duck hunting in my area is from private duck management. I’m in the “Red Hills” plantation region, and if you look at a plantation map for here you can count on every single one of them having a large flooded field impoundment (or two or five). The idea is to have thousands of ducks to brag about during the season, not just enough to hunt.

I manage one of those plantations and we have a pond. It is usually loaded with ducks and some seasons we have zero hunts.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Part of the decline in good public duck hunting in my area is from private duck management. I’m in the “Red Hills” plantation region, and if you look at a plantation map for here you can count on every single one of them having a large flooded field impoundment (or two or five). The idea is to have thousands of ducks to brag about during the season, not just enough to hunt.

I manage one of those plantations and we have a pond. It is usually loaded with ducks and some seasons we have zero hunts.
Actually killed one that was banded on a plantation in SC here in WV on the New River, Toney Creek plantation

MudDucker

Staff member

I’d be more than happy to help you end that ponds drought! :biggrin3:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Youtube and social media hasn't helped, now wf hunting is the cool thing to do and WV is not a duck mecca by any means. Used to hunt and only saw one other person, now the same spot you see 6 or 8 bunches.

There is a fall off in hunters, but seems like more are waterfowl hunting.
Yeah there may be less total hunters, but they are concentrated around deer, duck and Turkey hunting IMO.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Yeah there may be less total hunters, but they are concentrated around deer, duck and Turkey hunting IMO.
About gave up hunting weekends for waterfowl unless it's private land

MudDucker

Staff member
Aren’t you like one county away? You might know the owners of the place.

Two counties. Brooks County is between us. I don't know. I used to know several plantation owners, but I think those that I knew are deceased now. PM the name and I'll see.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I’d be more than happy to help you end that ponds drought! :biggrin3:

Me too! I gave it up years ago because I had nowhere to go. Still don't have a place to go and jump shooting 2 Woodies on a creek and going home just don't work for me.

Latest posts