Hunting age for Labs

Fenderbuilt27

Hello. I have a female Lab puppy that was born June 13th of this year. I’ve been working with her since she was born and she has done really well. I started bringing her with me on hunts with her older brother just to kinda expose her. I took her to Champney Island’s first draw hunt November 21st and she retrieved her first duck. She has since retrieved six more on solo trips I have taken her on. She is still learning to use her nose to find lost ducks but will retrieve anything that she can see where it lands (even live ducks) this is only my second lab I’ve helped train and the first (her older brother) was almost a year old when he started retrieving so I’m not sure if this is the norm or if she’s just a really good dog. Curious to what y’all’s thoughts were.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
A lot depends on the dog and their training, mine went on his first hunt at 11 months old during September goose season and did fine, buddies have had theirs hunting at 6 to 7 months.

Definitely watch her and a lively goose, they can ruin a young dog

Last edited:

DRBugman85

My Labs all get to HUNT,BOAT,RIDE and retrieve from the time I get them until they can just go for the fun of going,After (11 Labs 2 left) now I keep them busy being with what ever is going on,For the first year no one is aloud to feed or command them after a year they become apart of the family and I've had some great hunting experience with all. At about 9 months with Sadie (3) she is top notch in any hunting Situation and loves to make me proud. TIME and experience is what any hunting dog needs. Good luck have fun

ghadarits

A lot depends on the dog and their training, mine went on his first hunt at 11 months old during September goose season and did fine, buddies have had theirs hunting at 6 to 7 months.

Definitely watch her and a lively goose, they can ruin a young dog

Man you aren’t kidding! My pup wouldn’t even get near a goose for the second half of her 1st real season after tangling with what I have to believe was a mutant giant Canada crippled goose. That thing kicked her little 55lb butt. The goose looked bigger than her. She has sense learned to approach cripple geese cautiously. Unfortunately I think this will be her last full time season and she’s earned the right to pick her days to hunt. I love that dog!!!!!!

ghadarits

Hello. I have a female Lab puppy that was born June 13th of this year. I’ve been working with her since she was born and she has done really well. I started bringing her with me on hunts with her older brother just to kinda expose her. I took her to Champney Island’s first draw hunt November 21st and she retrieved her first duck. She has since retrieved six more on solo trips I have taken her on. She is still learning to use her nose to find lost ducks but will retrieve anything that she can see where it lands (even live ducks) this is only my second lab I’ve helped train and the first (her older brother) was almost a year old when he started retrieving so I’m not sure if this is the norm or if she’s just a really good dog. Curious to what y’all’s thoughts were.

Dogs are like people some are just better athletes and some are just smarter than the average dog. If you’ll keep working with her on commands it sounds like she’s got natural drive so I’m guessing she’ll be a great one. The most important thing is to teach a dog to be steady until you send them. I always try and send my dog on a slightly down wind line on blind retrieves to give her a chance to use her nose. Honestly though she usually knows better than me where birds go down so I’ve stopped second guessing her.

flatsmaster

Steady is real important to me … I think a great dog is 1 that’s there but you don’t hardly realize it until you call there name to retrieve … steady on a 2 man woodie hunt where birds just fly in versus a 5-6 man timber hunt where birds circle and circle and everyone is calling are 2 different situations so no ur dog and ur hunting partner’s so hopefully everyone succeeds … point is get pup screwed down so there not breaking or your not constantly yelling at and flaring birds … training is forever …. Unfortunately a marathon not a sprint … good luck bc nothing like a great hunting partner

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I sent Odin on a big goose that was laying belly up, 10 ft away the goose came to life and swatted him across the nose. He walked around it barking, started walking away and I sent him back, water was about a foot deep. He broke into a dead run like a sprinter, hit it like a linebacker and broke its neck, brought it back and it was banded. He absolutely loves goose hunting now, ducks are merely circumstance.

Before I get blasted, he had retrieved live birds, plus DEAD geese...just not a come to life again bird so you know.

He is an exception and not the rule

Last edited: