Hunting Gear in a Hotel Room

BigBass123

Any of y’all travel with bows/firearms to hotels for hunting trips? If so how do you handle securing everything?

I’ll most likely be in a hotel for work during all of deer season, and with the schedule I’ll have I either need to skip deer season or bring the gear with me.

Bow and a climber I have no issue bringing in to the room, not too worried about housekeeping grabbing it or raising too many red flags. Rifle on the other hand I’m not sure how that would go if the housekeeper finds it, and worst case that would be easy to steal. Storing in the truck is not an option, I have had my truck broken into in hotel parking lots so I won’t be leaving a gun in it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
What kind of place(s) will you be hunting?

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Put it in your truck when you leave to go to work. Did it a lot waterfowl hunting, never an issue

BigBass123

What kind of place(s) will you be hunting?

Public land in East Tennessee. Just outside of Chattanooga for work so the WMAs around there.

Put it in your truck when you leave to go to work. Did it a lot waterfowl hunting, never an issue

Your saying to just take it out/bring it in everyday? Didn’t think about that, but that would probably work.

Can you take the rifle to work with you every day and leave in the truck there?

Yes, I can keep it in the truck at work.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Yes, that's exactly it

ssramage

If
Public land in East Tennessee. Just outside of Chattanooga for work so the WMAs around there.

Your saying to just take it out/bring it in everyday? Didn’t think about that, but that would probably work.

Yes, I can keep it in the truck at work.

If that's the case, rifle and bow would go in/out of the hotel with me every day. Try to get easily accessible rooms to the outside (bottom floor) and have discrete cases.

GregoryB.

Back in the early 2000’s I spent a lot of time TDY and would buy guns from the local economy and keep them in the hotel room. Never had a issue but I was in uniform so that may have helped. You can always talk to the manager in case a cleaning lady sees it and reports it.

Tight Lines

I think you will be fine. I typically tell the manager that I have items that are valuable and when you pre-alert them you rarely have issues. Get a hard case like an SKB travel case and lock and lock to something with a cable lock.

I've never had weapons in extended stays, I have had tools i.e. DeWalt drills, etc. They are way more valuable to crack heads than weapons because they can move them fast. Never had an issue.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Well skipping deer season would be the only NON-Option! I’ve never had issues when I’ve stayed at Drurys and the likes and I’ve had my cooler and lots of stuff in the back of my truck. Sorry to hear you’ve had bad luck with that!
I think I’d take them with me….inside rm and to work locked in truck. Perhaps just take the bow and leave the rifle? Or vise versa? You can still hunt and it’d be less hassle.

Mars

Taking the rifle with you when you leave the room makes most sense to me. I would also suggest breaking down the rifle if possible and putting it in a bag that didn't scream gun case. I've heard of people using fishing rod cases or putting fishing related stickers on their case since fishing gear is less likely to raise any eyebrows.

huntfish

I must be really lucky since I've left my rifle in many different hotel rooms during my traveling. I usually just stick it in the corner of my closet and place my bags around it. I'll leave the case in my truck.

Was in a similar situation once. I had my rifle in a sturdy case with two locks then secured the case to the bed frame with a bicycle chain type of lock from Walmart. No issues

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Don't stay in a shady hotel.

krizia829

Any of y’all travel with bows/firearms to hotels for hunting trips? If so how do you handle securing everything?

I’ll most likely be in a hotel for work during all of deer season, and with the schedule I’ll have I either need to skip deer season or bring the gear with me.

Bow and a climber I have no issue bringing in to the room, not too worried about housekeeping grabbing it or raising too many red flags. Rifle on the other hand I’m not sure how that would go if the housekeeper finds it, and worst case that would be easy to steal. Storing in the truck is not an option, I have had my truck broken into in hotel parking lots so I won’t be leaving a gun in it.

We stayed in hotels for years. Still do on occasion. What we do is that at night, we keep the guns and bows in the room with us. When we leave the room to go anywhere whether it's to hunt or grocery shop for the week, they go with us in the truck. I don't leave anything valuable in there and the few times that we do, I take a photo of where it was located and record the time and date that we leave so in case if it goes missing, with cameras they can see who went inside the room last. We had a cooler in the back of the truck one night stacked with deer meat we just processed ourselves and some ******bag stole our backstraps and tenderloins while we slept. They only left the shoulders and hams :mad:. We never had an issue with the hotel rooms as of now but of course that can always happen. We do the same with our electronics. We also avoid staying in rinkydink hotels

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The better places might be willing to keep your guns in the office. Back in the day this was routine for valuables. Not so sure now.

BeerThirty

I would never tell any hotel worker that I have valuables in my room. First of all, none of their business. Second, lots of these theft rings involve the employees at hotels. I think your most convenient option is keeping your guns with you. You might consider renting a nearby storage unit on a short-term basis.