If baiting becomes legal for deer, shouldn't be legal for turkeys and doves also...

If baiting becomes legal for deer, should it be legal for all other game also?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 47.3%

• Total voters

csgreen1

Either ban all baiting (foodplots included)or make it all legal. Thats why i am for baiting its about being fair to all hunters.I would be just as happy either way.Look at dove hunting its legal to plant 10 acres of corn then mow it down and hunt it but you cant take a speader and spread corn out all over a feild then hunt it.

letsgohuntin

csgreen1 said:
Either ban all baiting (foodplots included)or make it all legal. Thats why i am for baiting its about being fair to all hunters.I would be just as happy either way.Look at dove hunting its legal to plant 10 acres of corn then mow it down and hunt it but you cant take a speader and spread corn out all over a feild then hunt it.

Me too, my thoughts exactly! Even though I have voted "YES" on all polls...I could care less if it was ever legalized, as long as everything is equal. It just chaps my hide that such scenarios as the one csgreen has described are real! IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE FREAKIN SENCE! :banginghe :banginghe

Why can I plant a 10 acre corn field and shoot all the deer I want out of it, but if I pick said corn and take it over in the woods and hunt over it, Im a poacher??? :mad:

Last edited:

letsgohuntin

Do you guys think that if a feeder is put in place, deer will parade to it non stop? I wouldn't think it would be visited anymore than a food plot is... In fact, I would think a nice food plot would be of more intrest and receive more traffic. I just don't think it would be a massacre like some of you guys are portraiting.
( Serious question, Im not being sarcastic :) )

Last edited:

BigMassiveDaddy

You would see more deer if you baited

Anyone who has supplementally fed deer with feed knows this. It looks like a feed lot around the site after it is found.

And for banning food plots, you must ban farmers from planting anything or put a ban on the area around agricultural fields. Say 200 yards?

It could be argued that the difference between food plots and baiting is that the bait is only good for the time a "hunter" puts it out. A food plot lasts for the growing season of the plant itself (with a mix, it can last up to 6-8 months).

Which one is only a benefit to the hunter? Deer will come to bait like crazy and may get spooked to where they only come at nite and which pretty soon, the bait will be gone. If they're spooked on land where there are food plots and use them at nite, they will get use out of them for the life of the crop.

Bait is only for the benefit of the "hunter".

letsgohuntin.....I guarantee, deer will come to a pile of corn in the woods next to a swamp or cutover before coming to an open field of corn or wheat or whatever.

Last edited:

GeauxLSU

FAIR? Nice concept, but...

What's 'fair' about it? It's not fair that I don't own the 20,000 acre dream ranch I'd like (I'm close though, I have about an acre and a half). Why is up to the government to level THAT playing field too? Once again.... it's about FAIR CHASE! It's clearly stated (though obviously disagreed with).
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

letsgohuntin

BigMassiveDaddy said:
It looks like a feed lot around the site after it is found.

Only because the area is condensed down to say a 10' x 10' area... if you had all of the tracks within a food plot condensed down into the same small area, the tracks would be just as heavy in my opinion... they are just spread out more in a plot. Im not saying you are wrong, Im just thinking out loud ;)

Last edited:

BigMassiveDaddy

Ok...throw out the feed lot analogy

letsgohuntin said:
Only because the area is condensed down to say a 10' x 10' area...

But, I still "guarantee, deer will come to a pile of corn in the woods next to a swamp or cutover before coming to an open field of corn or wheat or whatever."

Baiting is still only done to benefit the "hunter."

PWalls

I agree 100%. Baiting (as in corn pile) is done only to benefit the hunter 100% as you say.

Now, I also say that the majority of food plots are planted for the same reason. The fact that it feeds deer nutrionally and it feeds other deer and it is legal just gives us a better feeling about something that does the same thing. The majority of hunters plant food plots to kill deer over them. All that other feel good stuff is an added benefit.

letsgohuntin

THunter said:
Fact is you guys that want bait legal because food plots are legal are simply LAZY, or CHEAP. Glad I don't hunt with ya.

THunter

OH WHATEVER...NOW I have heard it all!! :rolleyes:

What about the guys that don't have the proper land, or the equipment, or the knowledge of farming practices, or simply can't afford it... sure there are some that are lazy and cheap but that applies to all aspects of life.

Last edited:

letsgohuntin

THunter said:
What are the proper land and equipment requirements you speak of? How can someone not afford to plant foodplots, but can afford to keep bait out all season? Your logic doesn't hold water.

Seems a bit dog barks loudest.

THunter

.... how about a lease (such as I have now) that is totally wooded, no open areas what so ever. How about sandy soil conditions that won't grow squat ( I have had that before,too) .... I guess I have to also explain that the "equipment" is a tractor and implements.

And as far as some hunters go, they are lucky to be able to afford a lease or to join a club to begin with, so they may not be blessed with the equipment or come up with the couple of hundred bucks to rent any. How can they afford corn you ask?? They can buy a 50lb bag for five bucks and be set for a weeks worth of hunting, thats how.

Bit Dog

Last edited:

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I edited the last post each of you (letsgo & THunter) made.

Y'all continue to discuss the matter.

DON"T GET PERSONAL.

stumpman

Banned
Well I just got back from Alabama and I can see yall are still at it . Let me tell you I hunted over some of the best looking food plots Iv'e ever seen and saw deer most all the time. It was no different than sitting over a corn feeder they walked up and ate just as much or more and I didn't even have to plant them. There is Absolutly no difference as far as hunting goes in one verses the other. It doesn't matter what you say to make yourself feel better about it they both do the same thing . I wish some of you would go back and read what you have posted some of it sounds so childesh . If youve never hunted over a feeder than you can't honestly comment on it. It's just the way you think it would be. Deer don't eat at a feeder all the time just because it's there they eat just the same as they would in a plot.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
Stumpman,

Your so right, that's why I can care less if they make it legal or not. As far as differences in the two. One take's a lot more work and effort and is legal. The "other" doesn't take hardly any work and is illegal. The outcome to both is the same, deer come to eat an unnatural food source in their area.

Tommy

I too can't believe this is still going on.

:confused: Nobody has changed anyone mind. One reason is some statements in this thread are made out of ignorance. I don't say that to insult anyone just the truth. Now if your are talking about just placing some bait out to hunt over yes it's true very litlle effort. But if your talking about keeping feeders full year round. You can't even compare the effort. I ran three feeders full time for two years, several years ago. I opted for 55 gallon feeders so they would last longer. I have planted food plots for 15 years. I will plant 10 food plots a year over filling feeders again. I'm can garrantee you no matter your perception. Filling feeders is a lot more work than planting and maintaining foodplots.
Isn't Turkey season right around the corner?

BigMassiveDaddy

The point is "if baiting is legal for one species,.....

it should be legal for all species." Wouldn't that be the only way it becomes "FAIR chase." What would make it "FAIR" otherwise?

And remember, the term "fair chase" is not what makes it fair for the hunter, it's what's fair for the quarry.