Innovative Poaching

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
It's not for social media. It's for ego. Social media is just the latest conduit to feed ego. Big buck poachers have been doing their thing since long before social media.
I new a guy that killed/poached so many big bucks most wouldn’t believe . He never showed hardly anyone any of them

basshappy

BANNED
Doesn’t surprise me one bit.

No telling how many big bucks are getting shot over feeders at dark-thirty with a thermal on a crossbow in Metro Counties.

Cell cameras, feeders, thermals and crossbows. Doesn’t take much skill to kill big bucks anymore.

All for Social Media.

Every county, not just metro. Pretty sad, beyond sad, when the sole inspiration to kill an animal is the size of its antlers. You think about the life of that deer, all it has seen and lived, for some person to kill it over bait in the dark to brag about their "hunting prowess".

killerv

Every county, not just metro. Pretty sad, beyond sad, when the sole inspiration to kill an animal is the size of its antlers. You think about the life of that deer, all it has seen and lived, for some person to kill it over bait in the dark to brag about their "hunting prowess".
Whats your thoughts on shooting one out of your kitchen window during legal shooting hours? I know I guy did this a few years back, laying in bed, cell cam sent him a pic, he got up and deer was in backyard under feeder. 150 class and he mounted it.

basshappy

BANNED
Whats your thoughts on shooting one out of your kitchen window during legal shooting hours? I know I guy did this a few years back, laying in bed, cell cam sent him a pic, he got up and deer was in backyard under feeder. 150 class and he mounted it.

I wonder how loud the report was.

Gator89

I know of some folks that built a two story cabin on their rural property.

Ground floor is their living quarters.

Top floor is their shooting house, extra large box stand, whatever you want to call it.

killerv

I wonder how loud the report was.
Houses on average 2-3 acre lots.
I know of some folks that built a two story cabin on their rural property.

Ground floor is their living quarters.

Top floor is their shooting house, extra large box stand, whatever you want to call it.
Yeah its crazy, I know a guy with a tv in his stand, and he has a rearview mirror setup he can look into to see anything that may be coming up behind him without having to turn his head.

Gator89

Houses on average 2-3 acre lots.

Yeah its crazy, I know a guy with a tv in his stand, and he has a rearview mirror setup he can look into to see anything that may be coming up behind him without having to turn his head.

Yep, I have seen large box stands with satellite dishes, stove pipes to vent the wood stove/heater. Heck seen a few with propane tanks plumbed in for gas heaters. That is how some folks do it in Wisconsin and other places up where it gets really cold.

If I had a piece of property that was suitable, I see nothing wrong with building a shooting cabin.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Known quite a few that have shot them out their home windows, some really nice ones.

Be in good standings with your neighbors and send it...just make sure the muzzle is outside the window :cool:

DAVE

Most hunters refer trespassers as poachers but other than trespassing for whatever reason most trespassers are not criminals at heart. True poachers like the two in the article are most likely criminals at their core and are not ego tripping on antlers but on the crime itself and when giving the chance would just as soon rob your house, steal your car, con your grandmother out of her home and belongings and worse.

Glenn

I do a lot of wildlife photography, mainly of Whitetails and much of it goes on in populated areas. I try my very best to not post the locations of where I go, but people still figure it out.

Funny thing is that I’ve been suspected of poaching several times if I’m wearing any kind of camouflage. So I make a point of not wearing camouflage and looking like a “hiker” mainly because even the deer get suspicious if they see camo.

I was on some Florida Public Land that is closed to hunting but open to hiking etc. and I was photographing/filming turkeys during the spring.

Someone called me in to FWC because they saw me getting out of my truck in camouflage and carrying a rifle ( my tripod ).

Two FWC officers snuck up on me while I was in my photography hide and scared the crap out of me. How they even located me still has me puzzled because the turkeys never knew where I was.

The officers were nice and apologetic about everything and even exchanged information so I could keep an eye out on the property.

Crazy what people will do over antlers though..

Last edited: