Instant background check

ucfireman

I searched but couldn't come up with anything too easily so,
If a person with out a CWL wants to buy a handgun and has no reason for the purchase to be denied. Is there a limit on how long the "instant background check" can take. I remember precovid there being some time limit and if it had not come back by then they had to sell it to you.
Am I correct?
And does the background check apply to long guns too? At one time I thought it was only handguns but the last shotgun I bought I had to show my CWL.
Asking for my father who does not have a CWL.

Also before the new "constitutional carry" law, open carry was legal correct? It was just concealed you needed a CWL?

It's pretty instant (45 minutes) unless you have a very common name- John Smith etc. Then it takes days. And yes it applies to long guns and shotguns.

Edit- the worst is filling out all the paperwork, then the clerk has to manually enter it all into the computer. Then you wait for the approval. Academy has an ipad you fill out so the clerk doesn't have to type it all in after you write it all down.

specialk

Three business days not counting the day of the check or holidays...

bighonkinjeep

I searched but couldn't come up with anything too easily so,
If a person with out a CWL wants to buy a handgun and has no reason for the purchase to be denied. Is there a limit on how long the "instant background check" can take. I remember precovid there being some time limit and if it had not come back by then they had to sell it to you.
Am I correct?
And does the background check apply to long guns too? At one time I thought it was only handguns but the last shotgun I bought I had to show my CWL.
Asking for my father who does not have a CWL.

Also before the new "constitutional carry" law, open carry was legal correct? It was just concealed you needed a CWL?
Its my understanding a weapons carry permit was required for carry in public unless hunting or fishing. Been a long time since open carry in public was legal without one.

Stroker

Three business days not counting the day of the check or holidays...

Or weekends. Three full business days, if you're denied on Monday you can pick it up Friday, unless you're delay gets approved during the three day waiting period. I've got about a 70% chance of denial on day of application due to a 1974 incident. I have been approved on initial application one day and denied two weeks later on another new purchase. I have even been investigated and licensed by the ATF to sell black powder, but it'still a crap shoot on walking out the door with a new purchase for me.

rosewood

It's pretty instant (45 minutes) unless you have a very common name- John Smith etc. Then it takes days. And yes it applies to long guns and shotguns.

Edit- the worst is filling out all the paperwork, then the clerk has to manually enter it all into the computer. Then you wait for the approval. Academy has an ipad you fill out so the clerk doesn't have to type it all in after you write it all down.
And if you make a mistake on the IPAD, I think you have to wait 24 hours before you can try again at Academy.

rosewood

rosewood

I've got about a 70% chance of denial on day of application due to a 1974 incident. I have been approved on initial application one day and denied two weeks later on another new purchase. I have even been investigated and licensed by the ATF to sell black powder, but it'still a crap shoot on walking out the door with a new purchase for me.
Get a carry permit and you won't have to deal with this anymore. I believe under the new law, it is either free or much less expensive also.

Rosewood

rosewood

Not in Georgia. The GWL permit was a license to carry, you could conceal or open with it, but it was required on public property. Even though it isn't needed anymore, a GWL permit will let you skip the background check and cover you in lots of states that accept the GA GWL.

Rosewood

specialk

Or weekends. Three full business days, if you're denied on Monday you can pick it up Friday, unless you're delay gets approved during the three day waiting period. I've got about a 70% chance of denial on day of application due to a 1974 incident. I have been approved on initial application one day and denied two weeks later on another new purchase. I have even been investigated and licensed by the ATF to sell black powder, but it'still a crap shoot on walking out the door with a new purchase for me.

you can submit a volunteer appeal file and receive a UPIN number that you put on the 4473....it's free and once approved lasts forever.....more info here...

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/n...inal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf

Stroker

you can submit a volunteer appeal file and receive a UPIN number that you put on the 4473....it's free and once approved lasts forever.....more info here...

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/n...inal-background-check-system-nics-appeals-vaf
Known about the UPIN for years but put up with the hassle. Looked at it like a carry permit, giving the ATF to much information. With the internet of today I'm sure they know everything they want to know about me. I oughta go ahead and get both.

rosewood

Known about the UPIN for years but put up with the hassle. Looked at it like a carry permit, giving the ATF to much information. With the internet of today I'm sure they know everything they want to know about me. I oughta go ahead and get both.
The carry permit is simply a background check. One and done. Don't have to give them info except when u renew it and it goes thru fbi anyway, not atf. I have never had a background check on a gun purchase. Been buying guns for almost 30 years.

Adam5

Except for college campuses where concealment is required, Georgia law makes no distinction between open or concealed carry.

Latest posts