Islamorada help please

Impact97

Need some help. I am taking my daughter to Islamorada for her masters graduation and need some recommendations for charters. She wants to catch some sails/marlin, tuna, mahi, wahoo for one trip and a bottom fishing trip for some grouper, snapper, amberjack, african pompano etc., and finally wants to go tarpon fishing. 3 or 4 trips would just about break her back I think. I have not been there and would love some sense of direction. We are going the last week of May.

I really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I can't recommend any guides because I met my group down there who already had everything arranged.
But I will say that staying in the Cheeca Lodge was the best move I made that week. I'm looking forward to taking my wife back there.
And my boat. :bounce:

Boondocks

Stay at Cheeca Lodge, they will make lunches for you to take.Bud& Marys for offshore.Lorelie for inshore. Both are close by. Hurricane Grill will cook your catch for dinner. It will be a trip of a lifetime. Been and done it a few times and the good thing is it was our company annual meeting and they picked up the bill.YES !!!

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

You can get all the fishing you are wanting at Bud and Mary's - 305-664-2461.

Cheeca Lodge is the nicest place to stay - 305-664-4651

I prefer fishing there around mid-June.

I booked today and got lucky with a cancellation. There is not much available at the moment.

If Cheeca is not available, I like Breezy Palm and the Kon-Tiki Resort.

They have good prices and are decent places to stay.

You better strike fast.

Need some help. I am taking my daughter to Islamorada for her masters graduation and need some recommendations for charters. She wants to catch some sails/marlin, tuna, mahi, wahoo for one trip and a bottom fishing trip for some grouper, snapper, amberjack, african pompano etc., and finally wants to go tarpon fishing. 3 or 4 trips would just about break her back I think. I have not been there and would love some sense of direction. We are going the last week of May.

I really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

It may be tight to find anything other than a weekday this late, I usually book months in advance for weekends.

For Tarpon you won’t find anyone better than Chris Barron of Stray Cat Charters. I fish with him every time we go. The other guides will also tell you he is one of the best if you mention his name. He also does offshore stuff to but I always prefer the big tarpon trips. Give him a call and he can probably cover a trip or two for you during the week. He will work to put you on the fish and has a big network of fellow guides that share info so they are constantly communicating daily as to where the fish are.

catch22

we used to stay at the Kon-Tiki as well. havent been there in a bunch of years so not sure if its like it used to be

Robust Redhorse

We stayed at a place called the Golden Key for many years (owned an operated by a retired fishing guide from the Bahamas), then early one spring I called to make reservations and never could get anyone to answer the phone, so we booked another place.

When we got down there, the Golden Key had been bulldozed and new condos were being built in it's place.

We made the Breezy Palm our home base after that. It is a great place to stay (nice place, moderate price, etc.), but I prefer bayside because we sometimes tarpon fish late into the night, and I find it easier to come and go on bayside (wind, waves, etc.), especially with limited visibility or a heavy chop.

Last June, we were fishing the Everglades and the jewfish were such a pest to tarpon fishing, that we just couldn't take a "day 3" of losing fish, lures, flies, and live bait to jewfish. I started calling places in the keys that had docks where I could keep my boat in the water. The Kon-Tiki had a cancellation and I took it.

The boat basin was so small that I had "go MacGyver" to have a place to put my boat, but, we liked it just fine. I'll probably keep going back until it gets bulldozed or Johnny Morris buys it out.

(Wish I could have been there in the 1960's!)

Latest posts