It burned down!

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Well, the plots that I sprayed glyphosate on, on 8-30-2022

Burndown 8-30-2022.jpg

Now, I watch the weather. We've had a dry spring, then a wet summer and looks like Mother Nature is going to help with the burn down.

9-13-2022 weather.JPG

Looks like early to mid October is when I will plant, if there is rain in the forecast.

Canuck5

Doomtrpr can probably add and or clarify, my "guess", but with the amount of organic material I have sitting on the soil surface, I "may have" the equivalent of a 4-.5-2 fertilizer sitting there, when it breaks down and gets incorporated. It would all have to be tested to be verified, but I am going to get something!

So, if there is 1000 pounds of organic material/acre sitting there, that might mean 40 pounds of Nitrogen, 5 pounds of Phosphorous and 20 pounds of Potassium. LOL, or at least I am hoping!

(I hadn't been down to the camp in 5 months, :( )

mattb78

Looking like a good burn.

I was just listening to a podcast that was talking about adding a certain type of acid to glypho to get a better burn and he only did 1 quart per acre and had good results. Always something to learn.

Canuck5

Yes, likely ammonium sulfate.

My name is not Triple C or David Helmly, :) so no, I don't have a no till drill, but my plan will be based on what I see when I get down there.

If a lot of the leaves have been knocked off the plants, I will broadcast my cereal grain, then straighten my discs and run at a 45 degree angle from the way the dead grass lays now, and cutting the stems up. I won't go very deep, just a shallow till, then run my cultipacker over top.

After that, I will broadcast my 3 clovers, radish, rape and turnips and likely run the cultipacker, on a diagonal to the way I ran it before, then get off the tractor and do the rain dance! Second running of the cultipacker may not be necessary based on the rain forecast.

Well, tried to get a gif of a rain dance, but that didn't work, LOL

doomtrpr_z71

Math is in the ballpark on the npk, the weight is probably on the high side.

He may have added pelargonic acid, it's cheaper to add diquat, it's even cheaper to add more glyphosate, pelargonic acid just burnt the foliage it won't kill the roots.

If you're gonna add stuff to glyphosate just buy a quality surfactant or spend the money for a herbicide tank mix partner, glyphosate works just fine unless you can't calibrate a sprayer.

awoods

Canuck you should check out Growing Deer TV, they have a lot of good videos on how to do food plots. All you need is a seed drill and some Buffalo blend. ???

Canuck5

We'll pass the hat around the campfire and see what kind of collection I get! :)

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Well, tried to get a gif of a rain dance, but that didn't work, LOL
Take your pick.. :bounce:

giphy.gif

rain-dance-africa.gif

giphy.gif

danza-dancing.gif

Canuck5

LOL!!!! Had to get the right man on the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sghoghunter

We sprayed a few of ours weekend before last. We sprayed mid morning and it came a flood that night. We mixed 3 oz gly per gallon with 4 oz of surfactant to 15 gallons. That was my first time using a surfactant in with the gly but by the looks so far I’ll keep on using it

Attachments

• 6788B7A4-DED3-49EF-9172-1D32B515963E.jpeg
    6788B7A4-DED3-49EF-9172-1D32B515963E.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 70

Triple C

Planting in to a good burn down treatment of gly is like planting in butter. Last 2 years we 'haven't sprayed plots. Mow em about 3 weeks ahead of planting and run the planter thru it. Good results past 2 years but still get some grass regrowth following planting.

Really looking forward to planting with the Firminator this year. I'll post up pics when we plant toward end of this month.

Canuck5

It sure has been an interesting year so far. Dry spring, wet summer and no rain in sight, in middle Georgia.

Talbotton weather 9-18-2022.JPG

Canuck5

Yeah, I know! I am itching to get some seeds in the ground, but down where I am, it won't hurt me to wait a few more weeks. It'll just hurt my spirit, LOL.

My soil moisture is right at 31% and dropping. Just punch in your zip code and it will give you lots of info. on your "conditions".

http://www.georgiaweather.net/?content=tr&variable=XS

Some more "farming" techniques for dry weather planting.

Dry soil planting.JPGDry soil planting-1.JPGdry soil planting-2.JPGDry weather Wheat.JPG

Triple C

Yeah, I know! I am itching to get some seeds in the ground, but down where I am, it won't hurt me to wait a few more weeks. It'll just hurt my spirit, LOL.

My soil moisture is right at 31% and dropping. Just punch in your zip code and it will give you lots of info. on your "conditions".

http://www.georgiaweather.net/?content=tr&variable=XS

Thx for posting Canuck! Great site. I should have waited to plant on my plot here at the house based on 10 day forecast. Got good moisture in the ground but no rain in sight. Gonna watch weather this week and hope to plant at farm next weekend.

Canuck5

It looks like you had good soil moisture there! Everything is a gamble and I thank the good Lord that I don't have to make money at this, LOL!

Last edited:

Canuck5

It will come ..... we just have to be patient! But that is hard to do!! LOL