Should I spray or just plow and plant?

lildorris00

Iv got weedy food plots that I didn’t spray early this summer so they’ve gotten out of control. Iv cut them a few times. My question is should I spray and give it two weeks and spray again (glyphosate ) and then plant or should I just turn it all under and plant and not worry about spraying ?

doomtrpr_z71

Well glyphosate is substantially cheaper than diesel fuel, if you spray and wait 2 weeks there should be no need to spray again. In my turning it under is just a temporary solution that bites you later after you have planted.

Ajohnson0587

I'm not very experienced, but for the last 3yrs I've mowed, chisel plowed to break the ground, rotor-till, put seed & fertilizer down, and cover with rotor-tiller. Results have been great, also these are not big food plots, 1/4ac or less.

Triple C

Mow...spray...plant.

We no longer spray but when we did, it was so much easier planting in to dead thatch than planting in to growing matter with live roots.

Now use an 8' Firminator and simply plant right into whatever is still standing come late September to early October. No longer even mow during the summer.

If your a tightwad like me, you Plow (rototill) and plant.

We got too much money tied up in everything to be wasting money on spray. Tried spraying and there was no difference, so to me it was a waste of money.

Spraying is very effective when used correctly.. waiting until grass and weeds goto seed before you spray just puts more seeds in the soil when you plow. Also you’re letting your weeds compete with the crop you’re trying to grow. It takes away nutrients moisture etc away from the target crop. Most folks wait until it’s done went to seed. then wana mow it, plow it under, and plant. That rarely works effectively. Can you do that ? Sure you can, if you want marginal results. Just because it looks green doesn’t mean it’s as palatable to the wildlife . Ever ate fruit or veggies and thought man that isn’t the best. You aren’t gonna starve to death but isn’t gonna be the first thing you pick to eat. Deer and animals are the same way…

Logan77

Iv got weedy food plots that I didn’t spray early this summer so they’ve gotten out of control. Iv cut them a few times. My question is should I spray and give it two weeks and spray again (glyphosate ) and then plant or should I just turn it all under and plant and not worry about spraying ?
For many months now, there are many many many lawsuits about that chemical, and the company stock dropped dramatically when they lost a case(s) in court being sued for the cancer it was known to cause. i.e. might be worthwhile to look it up and weigh the cost/benefits, if it is worth the risk or not.

Other methods have proven both more healthy and perhaps more effective to grow good uncontaminated crops/food for humans and for stock/animals, although sometimes takes more time, and/or more research to find.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
It depends to me on what kind of weeds are there. Just usual, annual weeds, I'll mow, plow, and plant. If it's something more insidious, I'll try to kill as much of it as I can first.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
For many months now, there are many many many lawsuits about that chemical, and the company stock dropped dramatically when they lost a case(s) in court being sued for the cancer it was known to cause. i.e. might be worthwhile to look it up and weigh the cost/benefits, if it is worth the risk or not.

Other methods have proven both more healthy and perhaps more effective to grow good uncontaminated crops/food for humans and for stock/animals, although sometimes takes more time, and/or more research to find.
That is about 99.99999999% money scam bullcrap cooked up by lawyers and ran through a clueless emotional liberal hippie jury in California. That guy in the suit didn't get cancer from glyphosate, not in that amount of time and exposure. I've been soaked in the stuff for 40 years, use it almost daily. Same with most of the people I know and work with.
Some of the other herbicides, not so much. Glyphosate is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the safest, least toxic herbicide on the market. If they did away with glyphosate based on factless emotional money-fueled idiocy, everything left would be 10x more dangerous, and you'd really start seeing some health problems.

That is about 99.99999999% money scam bullcrap cooked up by lawyers and ran through a clueless emotional liberal hippie jury in California. That guy in the suit didn't get cancer from glyphosate, not in that amount of time and exposure. I've been soaked in the stuff for 40 years, use it almost daily. Same with most of the people I know and work with.
Some of the other herbicides, not so much. Glyphosate is by faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar the safest, least toxic herbicide on the market. If they did away with glyphosate based on factless emotional money-fueled idiocy, everything left would be 10x more dangerous, and you'd really start seeing some health problems.
I agree thought the same. I been using for years. I am fine also. I doubt the lingering residuals left over from dead weeds and grass would make it into a new plant growing up and then deer/animals eat it then we eat them and get sick ? Serious doubt that.. I would be dead along time ago if that was the case.
Plowing in dead weeds is far better than plowing in green plants with root balls. Better seed to soil contact and soil bed. Is there better ways?? Yes @Triple C already told us the best. Not everyone can do it that way with that kind of equipment. @Canuck5 does it often as I have myself

lildorris00

It depends to me on what kind of weeds are there. Just usual, annual weeds, I'll mow, plow, and plant. If it's something more insidious, I'll try to kill as much of it as I can first.
I’m covered up with different weeds, everything from wild onions, thistle, and a pile of others I don’t know. I think I may spray heavy for a few years to try and limit the seeding etc and then down the road my back off the spray I don’t think my soil is to that point yet though

I’m covered up with different weeds, everything from wild onions, thistle, and a pile of others I don’t know. I think I may spray heavy for a few years to try and limit the seeding etc and then down the road my back off the spray I don’t think my soil is to that point yet though
Sounds like a good plan !

buckpasser

I’m with the doubters on this one. Of all the herbicides I use (almost daily) I feel the best about glyphosate and probably the least comfortable with Paraquat. I think this is probably just more bad science/slip and fall legal actors at play.

Triple C

In the same camp as you on this one. Perhaps if I drank and bathed in it daily I'd be concerned. Occasional use around the house and farm...not even a thought.

Logan77

In the same camp as you on this one. Perhaps if I drank and bathed in it daily I'd be concerned. Occasional use around the house and farm...not even a thought.
Toxicity.
How much is deadly.... How much is too much to survive with good health ?
Why is the less profitable totally non-toxic way covered up as much as possible, seemingly totally in many populations, by companies and government ?

How much cyanide did the two women give the men who died who they had fixed dinner for in "Arsenic and Old Lace" ?

Perspective varies a lot ....

doomtrpr_z71

Toxicity.
How much is deadly.... How much is too much to survive with good health ?
Why is the less profitable totally non-toxic way covered up as much as possible, seemingly totally in many populations, by companies and government ?

How much cyanide did the two women give the men who died who they had fixed dinner for in "Arsenic and Old Lace" ?

Perspective varies a lot ....
You opened the door, explain how plowing is non toxic

j_seph

I cut my foodplot around September with zero turn mower. It is all weeds and whatever grows there. Come mid season the deer flock to it

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
In extreme dry heat I just harrow under. Yesterday. I let it sit til I want to plant sometimes. I broadcast the winter greens on it with fertilizer and lime. Then set the harrows to likely turn the soil. Leave as much moisture trapped by the crust in there. 2D70EC3C-B91B-4561-B092-5B438ABA669E.jpeg277EE44F-17AC-443B-BF0E-71258941F0B3.jpeg5814E037-4C47-4BD8-8017-C3F351FD7291.jpegB01FFB12-98F5-4894-ACB4-94981D095A25.jpeg