Should I spray or just plow and plant?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
This plot I leveled when done. Harrows not deep and slow. Rain will finish the job til I plant. Then just broad cast oat wheat rye with some fertilizer and just barely turn over at a moderate speed harrows about 2” deep there abouts BA23E102-4F0B-4FC8-9C72-04B7A93A1CFA.jpeg3E2AF439-9A92-44EB-9B37-6404BCFF468B.jpeg

KTM525

Mow...spray...plant.

We no longer spray but when we did, it was so much easier planting in to dead thatch than planting in to growing matter with live roots.

Now use an 8' Firminator and simply plant right into whatever is still standing come late September to early October. No longer even mow during the summer.
I wish we could afford a Firminator.

deermaster13

I sprayed 7 plots today. Should have took some pics. I decided I didn't want to fight the thick thatch this year. Some of it gives me a fit in a few places getting it plowed under.. I sprayed it rather heavy so hopefully by the 24rd when I plan on planting itbwill.be knocked back.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I sprayed 7 plots today. Should have took some pics. I decided I didn't want to fight the thick thatch this year. Some of it gives me a fit in a few places getting it plowed under.. I sprayed it rather heavy so hopefully by the 24rd when I plan on planting itbwill.be knocked back.

I sprayed last week. Got a good burn. The soil won't turn though. It's set up like concrete.

deermaster13

I sprayed last week. Got a good burn. The soil won't turn though. It's set up like concrete.
Yes sir! Doesn't take long at these Temps to set it up. We've had some rain this summer but unless it rains every other day it dries everything out. It was rough with the dry dust and grass on the tractor yesterday. I've got another 5 acres to cut but can't seem to go out there.

Philnlucky

I sprayed mine with 4% glypho and 80/20 surfactant mix about 3 weeks ago to kill the bahia and other tough grasses. It burned down completely in about two weeks and I disked all of the fields last week. If it ever rains again, I'll level the fields with a 12' field cultivator prior to planting in the last week of Sept. That regimen seems to have worked well over the years.

ventilator

Yall should get your rain wishes soon. WNC got hammered last night with more to come. My SC farm is going to get hammered Tomorrow too.