Jalepenos not hot

Shadow11

I've made grilled jalapeno poppers several times in the past. The last few times, over the past year or so, the jalapenos from the grocery store had no heat at all. Might as well be using bell or something.

These are the last batch i cooked up the other day. They were ok, but just didn't have any heat. Anyone else seeing this? Where do you get the real thing?

These are big, but I've had big ones b4 that had heat. How do you tell?Screenshot_2023-04-15-16-22-29.png

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, you just have to sort through them. The ones with the little white lines all over them are the good ones, but hard to find. Growing them is the best option.

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
I've made grilled jalapeno poppers several times in the past. The last few times, over the past year or so, the jalapenos from the grocery store had no heat at all. Might as well be using bell or something.

These are the last batch i cooked up the other day. They were ok, but just didn't have any heat. Anyone else seeing this? Where do you get the real thing?

These are big, but I've had big ones b4 that had heat. How do you tell?View attachment 1221497
I haven't found a hot Jalapeño since I started eating Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers. :oops: :oops:

Really though, the only hot Jalapeños I have had over the last few years are the ones we have grown ourselves.

Step on up to Ghost or Reapers!!!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't found a hot Jalapeño since I started eating Ghost peppers and Carolina Reapers. :oops: :oops:

Really though, the only hot Jalapeños I have had over the last few years are the ones we have grown ourselves.

Step on up to Ghost or Reapers!!!!!!
All heat, no flavor. Stupid heat at that.

naildrvr

On a serious note, I've grown them and they had no heat and I've grown them that were so hot I couldn't hardly eat em. I don't know what dictates the heat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
On a serious note, I've grown them and they had no heat and I've grown them that were so hot I couldn't hardly eat em. I don't know what dictates the heat.
They also have some cultivars that were bred for less heat. I have no idea why, but they are out there.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Before I started growing all my own Jalapeños I noticed the varying degrees of heat. As stated there are many strains of these peppers out there. A retailer just buys what is on the market at the time he needs a supply. If you want consistency grow your own and save your own seeds.

John Cooper

All heat, no flavor. Stupid heat at that.
Yes sir the Reapers are that and more, I have developed a taste for Ghost peppers though, I like them better than habanero because they don't have a Bell Pepper taste to them like the Habanero does to me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes sir the Reapers are that and more, I have developed a taste for Ghost peppers though, I like them better than habanero because they don't have a Bell Pepper taste to them like the Habanero does to me.
Habaneros have a complex, fruity flavor to me. Ghost peppers taste like drinking burning gasoline.

georgia_home

Have you left some of the seeds and membrane in? after you split them. even cooked, that’ll being the heat up a little

John Cooper

Habaneros have a complex, fruity flavor to me. Ghost peppers taste like drinking burning gasoline.
I took Habaneros to work one time, told the guy's they were not hot, but not to touch their faces or privates till they washed their hands really good. 2 didn't listen one had red streaks on his face the other one well let's just say he had a fire down below.

slow motion

Seems to me the smaller varieties are hotter and have more flavor than the mammoth jalapenos that are starting to show up everywhere.

I grow my own.
I agree. I try to grow some of each as the big ones are better if I'm stuffing some for the grill. As least for us. I core em then drop some seeds back in and stuff with sliced ham and cheese. The little ones I like to slice and fry or grill.

DannyW

Before you buy them, rub them one at a time real good and then pick your nose or rub your eyes. You'll be able to pick out the hot ones fairly easily.

Thanks for this image! :eek:

Now I'm going to be super diligent about washing my jalapenos when I get them home. :ROFLMAO:

little rascal

Hillbilly is right, the ones that are ugly with the whitey veines are hotter. Love the fruity habanero, have had them hot and not. The ghost and reaper are stupid hot, not much flavor, have had some that were mild. A pepper gets too much water won’t be as hot.
U want hot, plant them and kind of forget about them and they’ll be hot.

leroy

I took Habaneros to work one time, told the guy's they were not hot, but not to touch their faces or privates till they washed their hands really good. 2 didn't listen one had red streaks on his face the other one well let's just say he had a fire down below.
A guy brought some to work and told some guys they were little bell peppers couple of them popped them in their mouth, they quickly realized they weren't

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

I love hot peppers. The hotter the better. I can eat raw jalapenos and serranos and warsh them down with a sip of water but I have no interest in committing suicide by capsaicin at this point in my life. :bounce: