Joint supplements

1gr8bldr

Hey Ronnie, I should clarify. Protein does not give me more energy, it helps keep me from what I call being "run down". My work is very physical and several years ago, if you had said anything about exercising, I would have said you were out of your mind. No way I can work like this and exercise to. I was just run down all the time. I felt like I was 80 when I was 40. I thought that if I felt like this at 40, what must it be like to be 80. But since starting Protein 3 years ago when I starting working out, I now feel like I did when I was thirty. That could be attributed to the exercise, being 18lbs lighter, or the protein. But the fact that if I skip a day of protein and feel it, that tells me that it is working. For inactive people, I wonder if there would be much benifit, but for me, it helps. I consider it a "God sent". Now if I could find a joint supplement that worked to take care of the very minor pains, one in my elbow when I throw a rock at a dog, and those twings in my knees the first 100yds, then I could feel like I was 20 :)

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Thanks for the information.

I'm going to order 5lb and give it a try.

1gr8bldr

Thanks for the information.

I'm going to order 5lb and give it a try.
I just looked at the jug, serving amounts, 3 months is probably more like 2. While your ordering, you might want to try some good vitiams. "Opti men" is the highest ranked and cheap if you order them

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Back in the day (35 years ago) we got our joint supplements at Starship... Now our joint supplement of preference is OsteoBioflex, and most days wouldn't be moving right without it. My hips and knees have taken a beating over the years and the stuff works miracles. It does have to be taken for a while before you notice results.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
Back in the day (35 years ago) we got our joint supplements at Starship... Now our joint supplement of preference is OsteoBioflex, and most days wouldn't be moving right without it. My hips and knees have taken a beating over the years and the stuff works miracles. It does have to be taken for a while before you notice results.

For many years, advil has been a miracle drug for me. I can spend a day of very hard work in the hot sun, then take two advil at bedtime and wake up feeling great.
My body reacts very well to the stuff.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
For many years, advil has been a miracle drug for me. I can spend a day of very hard work in the hot sun, then take two advil at bedtime and wake up feeling great.
My body reacts very well to the stuff.

One day your liver won't react too well. Prolonged advil use does that to a person. I'd be careful with that habit if I were you.

DrRx2005

One day your liver won't react too well. Prolonged advil use does that to a person. I'd be careful with that habit if I were you.

Unless you take the maximum doses of Advil or Tylenol every day over a pronlonged period of time there should be no ill effects. However, there are a few exceptions that may have other underlying or predisposing factors that can cause liver or kidney problems...
I would advise that if you take Advil or Aleve products to take them with food, especially if needed daily...the first problems you may start having with these meds are ulcers. But even still, the high dose on a daily basis people are the ones most likely to develop this.

DrRx2005

To the OP, as previously mentioned the glucosamine/chondroiton compounds are very common among the orthopedic patients I see. But what works for one person may not work for you, I'd give if a couple months to see if you have any benefit from it at least.
With the constant repetitions of your work plus working out, your joints could possibly just be over stressed. Try doing a lighter work out for a few weeks if the pain is becoming a nagging problem or take a couple days off per week to let your joints get a little relief. If after a period of rest or lighter duty the pain returns, it may need to be looked at by your doctor.

cobra97

I tried Glucosamine a number of years ago. It almost killed me. I am the only one I have ever heard of this happening to but my joint pain went away when I quit taking it. Got so bad I was using a cane to get around. Whole episode lasted about a month as I recall.

Morale of story, if you start taking something watch for side effects. Sometime they take a few weeks to show up.

Terry

1gr8bldr

I tried Glucosamine a number of years ago. It almost killed me. I am the only one I have ever heard of this happening to but my joint pain went away when I quit taking it. Got so bad I was using a cane to get around. Whole episode lasted about a month as I recall.

Morale of story, if you start taking something watch for side effects. Sometime they take a few weeks to show up.

Terry
That is strange. Considering that so many claim it helps. Did you ever conclude a reason why this happened?

1gr8bldr

To the OP, as previously mentioned the glucosamine/chondroiton compounds are very common among the orthopedic patients I see. But what works for one person may not work for you, I'd give if a couple months to see if you have any benefit from it at least.
With the constant repetitions of your work plus working out, your joints could possibly just be over stressed. Try doing a lighter work out for a few weeks if the pain is becoming a nagging problem or take a couple days off per week to let your joints get a little relief. If after a period of rest or lighter duty the pain returns, it may need to be looked at by your doctor.
Thanks, we appreciate your input here.

cobra97

That is strange. Considering that so many claim it helps. Did you ever conclude a reason why this happened?

Never did. Wife is (was) an RN and finally suggested I quit taking it based on the fact that I hadn't done anything else that could have caused the joint pain. Problems cleared up is just a couple of days. No way to figure out what the root cause was. As I said, I have never heard of this happening to anyone else, just watch for side effects with anything you take.

Terry

DrRx2005

Another thought for you to consider...:) If you are already taking any prescription medications, ask the pharmacist where you get your prescriptions filled to check to see if whatever over the counter product you are considering taking will interfere or interact with what you are taking, especially if you begin taking the herbal supplements. Some of those things have a lot of interactions with prescription drugs that may cause your prescription drugs to hang around your body longer increasing your chances of side effects or toxicity or can cause the drugs you are taking to metabolize too quickly, which can lead to them being less effective than they should be - also, if you do want to take any herbal supplements, mention them to your doctors...that way they know if all of a sudden your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. medications aren't working the way they are supposed to.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
You might also try Bromelain. It's all natural pineapple extract that works well for muscle soreness, aches & pains, etc.

1gr8bldr

Another thought for you to consider...:) If you are already taking any prescription medications, ask the pharmacist where you get your prescriptions filled to check to see if whatever over the counter product you are considering taking will interfere or interact with what you are taking, especially if you begin taking the herbal supplements. Some of those things have a lot of interactions with prescription drugs that may cause your prescription drugs to hang around your body longer increasing your chances of side effects or toxicity or can cause the drugs you are taking to metabolize too quickly, which can lead to them being less effective than they should be - also, if you do want to take any herbal supplements, mention them to your doctors...that way they know if all of a sudden your blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. medications aren't working the way they are supposed to.
Been looking into some of these things. Some of them cause a thinning of the blood, which I don't need, since I don't clot well