Kansas Public Land

curtis04

Me and couple buddies are thinking about putting in for Kansas for this fall. Didn't know if any of yall had any ideas on what zone to put in for. We will be hunting public land any suggestions would be great!

kayaksteve

I’ve only rabbit hunted southeast Kansas but I’ve saw some nice deer country along the way the past several years. I’d pick a general area and find some specific properties with a rough plan laid out. A lot of the public we’ve rabbit hunted is only open certain days of the week and is shotgun and archery only. This is only from my limited experience in one area and I hope you share your experiences after your trip cause I’ve been wanting to try this as well.

Lucky7

I would suggest going to their website and look at the state map of walk-in areas. Then I would pick a zone based on the amount or quality of the walk-in areas, and their proximity to a town that has a hotel, etc.

Bigger deer in general west and north. More numbers of deer in the SE. But all contain opportunities at a legitimate trophy. Good luck!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Me and couple buddies are thinking about putting in for Kansas for this fall. Didn't know if any of yall had any ideas on what zone to put in for. We will be hunting public land any suggestions would be great!

Cant help with the public land aspect, but in case you werent aware the lottery process started April 1 and runs through April so you'll need to jump quick for this year.

Jim Boyd

We decide to just put in for the priority points this year. Thanks for help though!!

Good idea.

I am sitting on 5 Iowa points and will do an extended Illinois-Iowa-Illinois trip when I retire.

Hunt late October in Illinois.

Go to Iowa first week of November.

Drop right back down to Illinois farm for the second week of November.

But….a few more years of work first.

Good luck!!!!

slow motion

Good idea.

I am sitting on 5 Iowa points and will do an extended Illinois-Iowa-Illinois trip when I retire.

Hunt late October in Illinois.

Go to Iowa first week of November.

Drop right back down to Illinois farm for the second week of November.

But….a few more years of work first.

Good luck!!!!

Kinda maybe got an invitation to hunt in Iowa from a guy who lives there. Thought I'd try to at least get 1 bonus points in case it pans out. Just gota figure out the system.

Jim Boyd

Kinda maybe got an invitation to hunt in Iowa from a guy who lives there. Thought I'd try to at least get 1 bonus points in case it pans out. Just gota figure out the system.

The system is easy. Good luck on the hunt!

HavocLover

Nothing to figure out about the system. It’s pretty straight forward. We drew in the SE portion with 4 points. IA DNR site has break downs of the regions, units, whatever they call them. I can’t remember and seems every state calls them something different. Anyways, their site has break downs of your chances to draw in said region/unit with however many preference points and such.