Killing deer not on Camera?

cowhornedspike

Plenty of thick skin here. Thought it was odd to have such zealous, acerbic commentary on a post about trail cameras.

It may be funny to set the bar at that level but I wanted to weed through the stories of people shooting 110” deer they never had on camera.

I’m not collecting data, rather gathering basic hypothetical information from peers. Definitely not the way to collect data.

I’ve been blessed to kill deer but not in Grady County. I am fortunate to oversee thousands of acres of high quality ground in the Red Hills.
Just curious as to which plantation/property you manage? Feel free to PM if not wanting to post publicly.

buckpasser

Plenty of thick skin here. Thought it was odd to have such zealous, acerbic commentary on a post about trail cameras.

It may be funny to set the bar at that level but I wanted to weed through the stories of people shooting 110” deer they never had on camera.

I’m not collecting data, rather gathering basic hypothetical information from peers. Definitely not the way to collect data.

I’ve been blessed to kill deer but not in Grady County. I am fortunate to oversee thousands of acres of high quality ground in the Red Hills.

The ones from other counties were over 140” you’re saying though? B Kirksey has done it inside of Grady I believe. Him and another older gentleman I know have done it with big ten points, but it’s rare.

Luke.Deer.Commander

The ones from other counties were over 140” you’re saying though? B Kirksey has done it inside of Grady I believe. Him and another older gentleman I know have done it with big ten points, but it’s rare.
Not as rare as people think. Just don’t hear about them. I’ve laid eyes on 3 deer from Grady this year that will go well over 140” and one that may be the top P/Y in the county.

Rebel 3

I’d love to see the 181 Georgia giant you got , post a pic for us !!
181 if you count non typical. Almost a booner, but had 6 sticker points that were deductions. Between the G2, G3 and G4 the shortest was over 10". 5 1/2 inch bases and his smallest mass measurements were around 4 1/2". Only day I hunted that property that year. Waited until the rut and for the perfect conditions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-083224.png
    Screenshot_20231219-083224.png
    480.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Rebel 3

15 months after this trail cam photo I killed him in the same spot. I didn't get another picture after this trail cam picture. I thought he was gone. He came cruising by at mid morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-092517.png
    Screenshot_20231219-092517.png
    931.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20231219-092357.png
    Screenshot_20231219-092357.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 47

Rebel 3

I personally think a lot of people get discouraged and don't hunt as hard when they are not getting good pictures. Some big bucks might only be on your property 1 or 2 days a year and never go near a camera. I think it is important to learn right type of areas bucks travel, hunt the wind, hunt the right conditions, and don't worry if you are not getting pictures. Although it is nice getting a picture and knowing he is around.

WishboneW

Like, question for you a a biologist.

If a club, say 1000 ac, quit shooting 3 yr olds and had a camera survey population of 10 of said bucks, how many would be on the property come next deer season if they all survived this year? In other words, how many 4 and 4+ deer can a property support, given adequate food and doe ratio at 1.2 to bucks?

flatwoods

If a club, say 1000 ac, quit shooting 3 yr olds and had a camera survey population of 10 of said bucks, how many would be on the property come next deer season if they all survived this year? In other words, how many 4 and 4+ deer can a property support, given adequate food and doe ratio at 1.2 to bucks?
This is really two totally different questions.
How many can the land support and how many will be there.
How many will be there depends on lots and lots of factors.

Luke.Deer.Commander

7 1/2 year old that I had not had a picture of since he was 4 1/2. I saw him at 5 1/2. He was a master at avoiding my cameras. He was in a north GA county that doesn't produce a lot of big bucks. Takes age to get

Wishbone, most places in Georgia run fairly high deer densities at least the Southern counties. Typically you see 25-35 individual identifiable bucks on those properties in the early fall surveys.

It’s property dependent. Without habitat context, I’d say with the right deer density you could hold 5-6 mature bucks fairly well on 1000 acres of average managed ground.

Mature bucks don’t like other deer.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?

the question I've always wanted to know and understand
In the past = We see 1 and 2 year old buck easy at every stand all Oct and Nov. We'd kill a 3 yr old if it popped out. And we get the RARE glimpse of a 4yr old or older buck.
7 or 8 or more years ago we stopped shooting 3 yr olds. In hopes that we would see more mature bucks.
Well we still see dozens of young bucks, and still get the occasional rare glimpse of a mature buck.

Where do the mature bucks go if we're not shooting 1 to 3 yr old bucks? We are on 16 hundred acres!

!!!! disclaimer, all our age of bucks are fun guestimates, we don't want to get into an is it possible to be exact with age on the hoof debate. We just learn all we can and make a best guess and have fun!!!!

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
181 if you count non typical. Almost a booner, but had 6 sticker points that were deductions. Between the G2, G3 and G4 the shortest was over 10". 5 1/2 inch bases and his smallest mass measurements were around 4 1/2". Only day I hunted that property that year. Waited until the rut and for the perfect conditions.
That’s awesome , and a heck of a buck!!!! When I talk about scoring I use gross , net is just dumb to me and you might have already told us and missed it but what county ?

flatwoods

the question I've always wanted to know and understand
In the past = We see 1 and 2 year old buck easy at every stand all Oct and Nov. We'd kill a 3 yr old if it popped out. And we get the RARE glimpse of a 4yr old or older buck.
7 or 8 or more years ago we stopped shooting 3 yr olds. In hopes that we would see more mature bucks.
Well we still see dozens of young bucks, and still get the occasional rare glimpse of a mature buck.

Where do the mature bucks go if we're not shooting 1 to 3 yr old bucks. We are on 16 hundred acres!

!!!! disclaimer, all our age of bucks are fun guestimates, we don't want to get into an is it possible to be exact with age on the hoof debate. We just learn all we can and make a best guess and have fun!!!!
On 1600 acres I would think you should have plenty of 4 yr olds. Maybe a 5 or two.
I take great pride in finding big deer. I have people tell me all the time that they have no big deer. It usually isnt true.
There is a huge difference in what lives there 10 months of the year and what lives there in October and November though.

Early season and right now is the time to kill a big deer if he calls your property home.
Oct. and Nov is tough.

flatwoods

One thing I would love to know is why I never see MATURE deer together.
Its rare to see more than one 5+ on a property.
Is it because they wont tolerate other mature deer or they just arent around.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
One thing I would love to know is why I never see MATURE deer together.
Its rare to see more than one 5+ on a property.
Is it because they wont tolerate other mature deer or they just arent around.
I also wonder that also