Late Freeze

whitetailfreak

How is that a late freeze in the mountains? That's called just normal weather for this time of year. Our average last frost date just up the road in WNC is May 10th. We normally have hard freezes well into April. I've seen it down below 0 in mid-March back in 1993, with four feet of snow on the ground.
I was on the head of Tellico for ten days with 38 inches. I was 14 and I'll never forget that week. We had to cut our way out once the snow melted off some.

tree cutter 08

It was 79 degrees here this week. Hab and white co. Been short sleeves leaving the house all week. Seen a few popular trees with green leaves today and a few dogwoods blooming. Oak buds are starting to fill out some last few days. Hopefully this cooler weather coming will set them back with no harm. Still way to early for things to be progressing like they have last week.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
It was 79 degrees here this week. Hab and white co. Been short sleeves leaving the house all week. Seen a few popular trees with green leaves today and a few dogwoods blooming. Oak buds are starting to fill out some last few days. Hopefully this cooler weather coming will set them back with no harm. Still way to early for things to be progressing like they have last week.
Long range has it below freezing at night next weekend.

chrislibby88

I agree, that’s really not late at all, but given the lengthy warm spell we have had it could possibly affect trees at lower elevations.
This is one way we get acorns up high. Late frost burns all the buds down low.

If y’all remember we had a similar situation last year, early green up, and frost got a lot of the new growth.

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
This is one way we get acorns up high. Late frost burns all the buds down low.

If y’all remember we had a similar situation last year, early green up, and frost got a lot of the new growth.
Another year like last year and the mountains will lose some of its deer herd.

Robust Redhorse

My backyard overlooks what maybe the southernmost mountain in the Blue Ridge chain.

The oaks look like they have not budded yet.

I think we have a decent shot have having mast this fall.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Last year here, 2nd day of gobbler season, 17 April, 18 degrees and the wind screaming. Had very little mast this past fall.20220419_081511.jpg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Snow doesn’t bother the birds? Never had the opportunity to hunt turkey in the snow and not planning on it.
Had 5 gobblers walk by the truck, but they would have to be on top of you to hear them gobble with the wind