Late Freeze

35 Whelen

Ten day forecast calling for lows in the 20's up here March 10 thru 12.

jbogg

I camped at around 3600 feet a few nights ago, and none of the trees had even begun to bud out yet. Guessing a freeze around 3/10 could affect lower elevations, but I wouldn’t expect any consequences up high at this point.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How is that a late freeze in the mountains? That's called just normal weather for this time of year. Our average last frost date just up the road in WNC is May 10th. We normally have hard freezes well into April. I've seen it down below 0 in mid-March back in 1993, with four feet of snow on the ground.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I was in the NGA mountains a couple days early this week and there was very little sign of spring about to bust loose.

I was at the same elevation as Unicoi SP.

B. White

It was below freezing around the 8th of March in middle GA last year around. I just had transplanted some cabbage and lettuce about two days before and was worried about it, but did ok.

Resica

How is that a late freeze in the mountains? That's called just normal weather for this time of year. Our average last frost date just up the road in WNC is May 10th. We normally have hard freezes well into April. I've seen it down below 0 in mid-March back in 1993, with four feet of snow on the ground.
That is also the average date of our last frost.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have chipped ice off my fishing pole trout fishing in late April many times.About froze to death the night before in a tent. Day before was lows of 50,s.

Resica

I guess the problem would be is if plants bloom early because of the warm temps and then we get freezing temps we could lose crops, acorns, etc. It's been way warmer than usual for the most part. Snowin at camp now but these warmer temps. are not necessarily great.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
That's true, although it didn't reach the 70's here, im sure it did down where you are. But it is common to have a couple of weeks of milder temperatures in February.
I’m about a hour south of Atl right on Al line and we got dogwoods blooming, crappie bedding and pollen so thick it looks like the world is on fire . I’ve got the Clayton area weather on my phone because that’s close to where I go if I’m up that way and I think I seen it in the 70’s this week

Doug B.

I’m about a hour south of Atl right on Al line and we got dogwoods blooming, crappie bedding and pollen so thick it looks like the world is on fire . I’ve got the Clayton area weather on my phone because that’s close to where I go if I’m up that way and I think I seen it in the 70’s this week
You may be right. It could have got in the 70's here. E every time I looked it wasn't but you can't go by that. I went to my daughter's in Gainesville today and pollen was all over the the car when I left. It has not started up here yet!

ddd-shooter

I remember opening day of trout season (back when we had one, lol) twenty years ago my cousin and I decided to wade in the creek-without waders. Was all well and good-not really-and to add insult to injury it started snowing. Young and dumb.

Last edited: